Whiskeyboi

Gratuity

I know this post could go in the bonfire, but I think it’s more appropriate here due to the intended audience. I apologize in advance if placing it here upsets any members or moderators…no offense is intended.

What would you, as instructors, like to receive as a thank you/gratuity? I dare not use the f-word since shipping alcohol can be expensive, but you can see how many times I’ve jumped. I’d like to do something to thank the TM, instructor, and videographer who put up with my stupid questions, made the experience fantastic, and are greatly responsible for me going back for another jump in a couple weeks. (Hey…I landed safely, right?) So here’s where I could use some serious feedback:

Is it allowed/encouraged/socially acceptable to tip or give gratuities? (I would hope so.)

If so, what is appropriate/preferred? Money? Good Irish whiskey? Asking them would be awkward…ask manifest and pray they know?

Speaking of manifest, everyone at this DZ was fantastic at dealing with me and the other newbies. I worked in three separate service industries in the last 14 years and I know people can be a royal pain. Is there anything I can do for the DZ as a whole? I’m not trying to be a stalker or kiss-ass (I almost prefer anonymity)…I just don’t like going to parties empty-handed.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated – serious…or hell, even otherwise. Thanks!

From the 1-2 time jumpers, I personally don't mind $20-50.

From the person who is going to continue to come out every weekend and get their license, I'd rather see a case of Shiner Bock appear with them so I could get to know them. That way when they're teaching me how to do 4-way 3 years later, I'm proud of my friend. I'm not thinking about that $20 that they tossed me.

Make sense?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

From the 1-2 time jumpers, I personally don't mind $20-50.

From the person who is going to continue to come out every weekend and get their license, I'd rather see a case of Shiner Bock appear with them so I could get to know them. That way when they're teaching me how to do 4-way 3 years later, I'm proud of my friend. I'm not thinking about that $20 that they tossed me.

Make sense?

Makes perfect sense...except for one thing...Shiner Bock? sigh...no accounting for some people's tastes...:ph34r:

Many thanks...any other suggestions?

any other suggestions?

Yea, you said it yourself that everyone made your day great, but two really did the risky part, the jump. The way I see it is, running a dz is a lot of work and it takes team work, while it might seem that those who jump are the most important part on the team, that's not really true.

You should make a point to order maybe a few pizzas (8 to 10 pies depending on dz size) and a few cases of cold sports drinks & water and show up during lunch, because if it's busy those working thier ass off always forget to eat lunch, make sure the pilots get some too, this way the whole team can eat and refresh with a cold drink and everyone will get a chance to learn your name, and trust me they will remember you at the end of the day and even next weekend.

Or second best is do it at the end of the day and bring lot's of good beer!;)
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

My 2 cents is that the best way to say that you had a great experience is to continue on into the AFF program. All jumpers should be involved in growing the sport on some level and it looks like that's what they did with you. Unlike the opposite which sadly happens way too much.
My DZO claims that new students are his best advertisers - they just can't stop talking about how much fun they have!

D
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

I'd go with the beer and pizza! Show up in the late afternoon on Saturday with a couple of cases on ice and hang around for the nightly party. It would make a much more lasting impression and you would get to know the DZ staff and regular jumpers a lot better.

Have fun!:)

I'd go with the beer and pizza! Show up in the late afternoon on Saturday with a couple of cases on ice and hang around for the nightly party. It would make a much more lasting impression and you would get to know the DZ staff and regular jumpers a lot better.

Hang on a second...lemme get this straight...am I to understand that people who skydive...like alcohol? :P

This beer thing brought a bit of challenge into my life this week. I do not drink. People in my life (not so much me) are concerned with the evil of alcohol. I got my A license yesterday. Knowing I was close I stopped and picked up a case for my instructors. Not everyone, including my wife, was not happy with me. Maybe I should have gone with the money.
POPS #10623; SOS #1672

I am on call 364 days a year daylight hours. I make about $30k per year, before taxes. I live in a old motor home on the airport. I love to skydive. I love to teach you. If you appreciate my efforts, I appreciate a cash tip.

This beer thing brought a bit of challenge into my life this week. I do not drink. People in my life (not so much me) are concerned with the evil of alcohol. I got my A license yesterday. Knowing I was close I stopped and picked up a case for my instructors. Not everyone, including my wife, was not happy with me. Maybe I should have gone with the money.

First off, congrats on the license. I hope to know that feeling before I'm even older.

Second - interesting point about the alcohol. I never drank when I was in college (probably why I didn't finish) and used to bring cases of soda to parties instead. Got made fun of at the door, but I gotta tell you...instant friends were made shortly after. I am far from being attractive, but more women came up to me at parties because they didn't want to drink. (Also helped at the end of the night cause I was one of the few guys that was still vertical.)

Congrats again on the license...and hopefully your wife understands that you were forced to succumb to peer pressure on this one occasion.:ph34r:

I am on call 364 days a year daylight hours. I make about $30k per year, before taxes. I live in a old motor home on the airport. I love to skydive. I love to teach you. If you appreciate my efforts, I appreciate a cash tip.

I appreciate the candor...seriously. Just don’t ever want anyone to be insulted or think wtf? I'd like to try and give SOMETHING back...

Maybe I should play it safe and do both…:ph34r:

Then bring Dr. Pepper, or a case of energy drinks or just use your imagination. The beer rules are flexible in that regard. Don't sweat it, I know AA jumpers who wont' go near an drinks due to past problems. No one disrespects them for it. All of the ones I know have done things like cooking burgers at the DZ or similar aforementioned alternatives.

As an instructor, nothing makes me happier than a student who comes back looking for more. I'd rather see a student come back and do another jump than anything else. A solid handshake and a "thank you, where do I sign up for the first jump course?" is all I hope for. Anything else is just gravy!

As an instructor, nothing makes me happier than a student who comes back looking for more. I'd rather see a student come back and do another jump than anything else. A solid handshake and a "thank you, where do I sign up for the first jump course?" is all I hope for. Anything else is just gravy!

This is in NO way meant to take anything away from the TM I had...but why do I get the feeling I'm going to be treated slightly differently because I DID go back for another? :P

I wonder...as instructors...how many people do you see who do just the one (just to do it?) versus people who sign up for AFF?

I've done around 1300 tandems, give or take. Thats not a huge number by any stretch of the imagination; however, about 10 of those are still in the sport. That isn't anything I did or didn't do, everyone of them got all I had. About 1/5 of those came back for a second jump, probably 1/5 of those came back for a transition course and even fewer completed their A-license.

Many of those were just tourists, out at 100 jumps never to return. Only a couple have completed 1000 jumps and have continued to become real skydivers.

Out of all tandems we do 20% return for another jump. Out of those #'s I don't know how many continue to solo jumping. We keep stats. I don't recall the exact #'s for second tandem to solo transition. Not to get off subject, just to answer your question.

A further thought about gratuity (relating specifically to people who work full time in skydiving.)

Most every instructor starts working in the industry because they love the sport. They make sacrifices in their lives because they want to do something they enjoy. Many people fall out because they realize the commitment is full time, pay is relatively low, and they will have to WORK HARD to make any living at all.

A tip is a very personal way to express appreciation for a job well done. (If indeed the job is well done.)
As many before have mentioned it does not have to be cash. YES, I remember the students who have fed me lunch or bought me a beer.

Instructors who stick around long term truely do it out of love for the sport. But a couple bucks, a slice of pizza, or a beer go a long way.

Any more it seems like it. So many people come and go with 100, 200, 500 jumps that it seems like someone who is a skydiver sticks around for at least 1000 jumps. Others come and go sometimes come back then go again. I wish they would stay.

Any more it seems like it. So many people come and go with 100, 200, 500 jumps that it seems like someone who is a skydiver sticks around for at least 1000 jumps. Others come and go sometimes come back then go again. I wish they would stay.

For what it's worth - in all sincerity...I have a hell of a lot of respect for what you kids do. And while I'll be forever branded a nerd, I've been reading posts, the SIM - even the incident and fatality pages. I know I have a long way to go - but I'm up for the journey. I want to know what I'm up against, and I want to be able to buy a sh**load of beers along the way. Actions do speak louder than words.

Thanks for the posts and honest opinions. The last time I was welcomed so gratiously I was at an Amway meeting...and they made me feel REALLY welcome...

And while I'll be forever branded a nerd, I've been reading posts, the SIM - even the incident and fatality pages.

Music to my ears!:)
Keep up the desire to learn and you'll go far in this sport!
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Our sign says:
"There is no set standard for tipping in skydiving as it is not like other industries. But like any service, if you want to offer something it is appreciated, but certainly not expected. Instructors are paid for what they do"

When people ask how much we tell them that $5 is a tip, $10, is a good tip and $20 is a great tip.

SOmeone posted $50? wow, only ever got one of those in my lifetime - and I certainly would not expect that much.