darnknit

TI's: handle checks after/during deployment?

i used to do these every once in a while(i always do at least two during freefall), after the EP seminar today i realized i don't do them anymore. what about the rest of you? handle checks during deployment on every jump, once in a while, never?

blue stuff,
p.j.

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

i used to do these every once in a while(i always do at least two during freefall), after the EP seminar today i realized i don't do them anymore. what about the rest of you? handle checks during deployment on every jump, once in a while, never?

blue stuff,
p.j.

Always. ;)
Before boarding, after sitting down, before exit and during freefall. Then the continueous checks so the student stays away from them until we land.

Be safe
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Right after donning the rig I check all handles.

Once we are hooked up and tightened down I check all handles again (and other things).

When I stand up I check security of the drogue. On a Cessna exit I check it again before exiting to make sure it didn't move when I was getting into the door.

I check all handles again after deploying the drogue.

I do all of these on every single tandem jump.
Arrive Safely

John

I do a set of touches before getting on the airplane, after deploying the drogue and I always check the drogue in the plane before scooting down the bench and before exit.

Under canopy I don't typically touch the handles, though. However, the 3 tandem reserve rides I've had I didn't even look at the handles. It was instinctive and I was busy talking to the student while looking for traffic and altitude.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I do a set of touches before getting on the airplane, after deploying the drogue and I always check the drogue in the plane before scooting down the bench and before exit.

Under canopy I don't typically touch the handles, though. However, the 3 tandem reserve rides I've had I didn't even look at the handles. It was instinctive and I was busy talking to the student while looking for traffic and altitude.

What Dave said, plus one check, halfway up to altitude, that includes harness and 3-rings.

Well maybe its because I only have ~200 TM's or maybe its the paranoia but..

gear up - thorough handle/drouge check plus practice EP's
board a/c - hook up lowers onto student and handle/drouge checks
on ride to height probably automatically 4-5 handle/drouge checks while doing handy-cam video of student
connect student, handle/drouge checks
pre-exit at door check drouge
drouge out check handles plus 1-2 more checks in f/f depending on exit height
just realised while writing this that I do not do checks of handles after gear/canopy checks on opening. Will now add that to list.

So does the paranoia go away?!?!:S I mean just 'cos I think the students out to get me doesn't mean their not ;)
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

So does the paranoia go away?!?! I mean just 'cos I think the students out to get me doesn't mean their not

they are out to get you, the weird part is they don't even know it.

as far as the paranoia, eventually it turns into what i call "cynical optimism".;)

pulling is cool. keep it in the skin

blue stuff,
p.j.

ALWAYS......especially now that I'm jumping a system that I only have about 100 jumps on (sigma) after 10 years of Strong jumps, i feel like I have to constantly think about body position and handle placements on my tandems.....

Get a Sigma and you wont have to worry about floaty ripcords and out of sequence deployment. :o

Also always let the student have the toggles. Save your arms for the landing...;)

The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, the rest willing to let them.

get a sigma and have to deal with a company that will not deliver parts on time, will hang you if you make a mistake and does everything they can to cover their own ass instead of looking out for their instructors and reps out there.

Go with Strong and get timely service, great products, innovation and new ideas implemented when you ask for them and all-around great service.

its more fun not to warn them if i think they can handle the freak out,
as for handle checks about a thousand times between gear up and landing, definately the big one before boarding, during hook up, before exit, and after drogue toss.

The only bad skydive is your last!
chris "sonic wookie" harwell
Piedra-belluda-roja Rodriguez

blue stuff,
p.j.

Always. Before I gear up for routing and freedom of operation.

Then again after I don the gear to make sure I can reach it all OK.

Then again after I sit in the plane to make sure that they haven't been dislodged.

Once more after I attach and prepare the passenger.

One moe drogue release check on both sides as I walk to the door.

One after exit and drogue deployment.

Once again in freefall, main release, secondary release, cutaway, reserve and RSL ball.

I basically check that handles at each stage of the jump that presents an opportunity for them to move. I've know two people who have died doing tandems becuase of totals or out of sequence deployments. It's avoidable, and it's not like you have much else to do really.

its more fun not to warn them if i think they can handle the freak out, .

TOTAL newb here, but I think that seems unprofessional to not warn them you're are loosening the side straps. :S

Was just thinking the same thing, I'm glad to see you said it before I ran out of post. you will do well young jedi....