tqsmile

youngest pass on tandem

I would just like to hear from you out there what is the youngest age you would take as a tandem passanger and why. Also what is the word out there icw headgear for a tandem master, Do you wear headgear and why if not why not
TQ
I am me and you are you, so deal with it!!!
www.skydivepe.com

18 simply due to the release of liability not being worth crap in TX if they're even a day under 18.

Otherwise I really wouldn't care about 16, except for RWS' rules...then again, Bill Booth himself took his under 18 daughter on a tandem a while back.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Minimum age is debated to death I'm afraid.
In the US there is a significant legal problem when you take underage (younger than 18),but in the rest of the world that doesn't seem to be the case.
I took some very young passengers but nowadays my position changed somewhat - we 'recommend' a minimum age of 14 on our website. (Often I get the feeling that I'm helping parents who are afraid to lose the love and respect of their siblings by saying "NO, YOU CAN'T" to postpone their problem for a couple of years...hehehe...)
There is no technical problem that I'm aware of - but you don't want to be in high winds with to lightly loaded canopies - that BTW also take longer to open. Although often you can't control their legs, those are small legs and they don't create problems. My sole reason for not taking them very young kids are purely psychological. Although there is no 'rule of thumb' which says at what age, we do know that somewhere in the development of a child a world of magic and fantasy gets replaced by one of realities. Finding out at altitude isn't a good idea. Any kid under the age of 14 I deliberately separate from their parents for a while and talk to "face to face" before I decide what to do.
My personal youngest was eight (my son, DZ-kid...)

I must say that I have been surprised at times by the young kids I did take. (in stead of wrestling them out I'd be following them out, "freefall over yet? Bummer!" etcetera...) Also, I never had a kid that I did take freak out / get scared.

You never know in advance though...

As to headgear: I went from fraphat to no headgear and back to fraphat. I still prefer no headgear in the summer but I also want a loud beep 2 seconds after I deployed and I once lost a dytter + gogle...

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Just jumped with a 12 year old boy he´s 2 jump. He runs out with newspaper to get money for jumping tandem. And he says that he will do it until he can jump him self (16 years old in Denmark)

In Denmark you just need to fit the harness to be a passenger.
Bo Wienberg

vimeo.com/bowienberg

At my DZ, we have an age limit of 18, though I did take my daughter for her 16th birthday. I have no personal qualms about taking 16 year olds, and would consider taking younger under special circumstances if allowed by the rating issuers.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I will and have taken 16year olds. Although my DZ will not allow under 18. Side note I did take my 13 year old on her B-day at a non USPA DZ. Now she is pissed because she has to wait until she turns 18. 1 year to go.
If you are going to be dumb. You better be tough!

I will and have taken 14 year olds as this is the youngest allowed in Australia. We have had to try the harnesses on some this year to make sure the harness was secure though as there was one 14 year old who was the size of a 9 year old..............

Some females have me tightening everything up to the stops as well but never had problems ;)

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

I am not a tandem master but do a lot of camera for one in particular - We have taken his son twice -
he's 4. I have filmed a number of 9/ 10 /11 / 12 year olds.

"Welcome to africa - we hope you survive your stay"
People dont care how much you know until they know how much you care.

8 yrs girl, tall body, no problem.

The best tandem Kit, perfect conditions. I do have an ethical issue as a parent, i would not allow my daughter to jump (shes 7) , but I was Ok with this one after a long discussion with the parent. :)

Not debatable.
In Italy the limit is established by law: minimum 16 year with a waiver signed by the parents. :|

Does Italy have a law specifically for tandems, or does it fall under a pre-existing law?
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

...now tandems outside of the US are always different from a legal stand point - I know in South Africa I have taken a fair amount well below the age of 18!

The picture attached was taken when I was in Russia last year... her father had taken her on the tandem and she was all smiles!!! If memory serves correct she was 5 or 6...

Enjoy!

"Start doing what's necessary, then what's possible, and suddenly you're doing the impossible!"

I am not a tandem master but do a lot of camera for one in particular - We have taken his son twice -
he's 4. I have filmed a number of 9/ 10 /11 / 12 year olds.

"Welcome to africa - we hope you survive your stay"

Hi Chris, is it the Superman-Kid ?? ;-)

Oh I survived my stay, must I come back ?? :P

Hi to everyone at JSC

I also videoed several kids, from 4 up...
The slowest tandem was a 10-12yrs old girl, the tandem master was her mom... the whole flying ensemble was around 210 lbs... I wished I had these gloves in addition to my camera suit...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Whow,
this question has opened up allot of feedback.
My youngest is 12 and as Im currently working in NZ this is not an uncommon occurrence.
Its as weird as hell taking minors. all the friendly banter in which we can engage in during the plane ride turns very odd when you realize thats its a child you have on the front. Taking minors changes the entire tandem thing into a fair-ground type attraction and for me cheapens what I love to do. As physically easy as it is I dont enjoy taking children and find the entire experience uncomfortable.
Once again tandem skydiving is a medium for skydive Instruction even on the most basic level an not a fair-ground ride....