skydived19006

Jump'n With a Motercycle

It was Jimmy Davis. I don't know what DZ it was but he rode it out of a tailgate aircraft. Had a mal on the first attempt when a line snagged the handlebar. He eventually successfully landed it while it was still running, cutaway and kept riding.

I have the video somewhere. Its an episode of that cheesy 1970's TV show called "That's Incredible!"

If I can dig it up, I'll post a link to the video.
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

It was Jimmy Davis.

Those pictures came to me from the estate of Lori Love, and I'm fairly sure that it's her. That said, just because I got them from Lori's cousin, and there were a few more 8/10s in the stack, doesn't necessarily mean that it was her.

Also, I was guessing Nevada, simply because the two other photos were of her in Nevada at the Reno Air Races, or at least one was at the air races. The mountians in the background looks similar to the
Reno pictures.

I picked the following information up here: http://aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=5236

"Lori raced #31 and #38 IF1's in the eighties."

"Lori first raced in 1983, flying the #31 "Scholl Spl." for Chuck Wentworth, with an all-girl crew. She later raced the #38 "Flying Dutchman" for Tommy Aslett. She proved to be a fine pilot who enjoyed her time in air racing, but moved on to other flying adventures.

Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers, and hope for the best.
Last edited by Tosg : 08-23-2007 at 03:27 PM. "
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I'm curious as to what main was used and why the bridle attachment point is off set on the canopy?

I wondered about that as well.

The damage at the bottom of the pictures was due to them being stuck to the glass. I removed them in order to scan, nothing written on the back, or notes in the frames.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I would bet because it was built as a 7-cell. There weren't any 9-cells in the 70's as far as I can remember. I'd imagine it was a Strato-Cloud (or maybe a Viking).

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The damage at the bottom of the pictures was due to them being stuck to the glass. I removed them in order to scan...

In the future you might try scanning them through the glass first. I've done that with a lot of my old family photos, and they come out just as nicely as if placed directly on the scanner. That way you could avoid the problem of creating new damage.

I'm curious as to what main was used and why the bridle attachment point is off set on the canopy?

It may be that two 7 cell canopies were used to make one 9 cell canopy and they left the bridle attachment in place. It wouldn't be much of a problem on a big old square.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

It may be that two 7 cell canopies were used to make one 9 cell canopy and they left the bridle attachment in place. It wouldn't be much of a problem on a big old square.

That's interesting, I hadn't thought that people would necessarily do that. I wonder if crossport design effected the canopy or if the rigger who made it just cut some new holes in the ribs?

Was this a fairly common practice back in that era of skydiving?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That's interesting, I hadn't thought that people would necessarily do that. I wonder if crossport design effected the canopy or if the rigger who made it just cut some new holes in the ribs?

Was this a fairly common practice back in that era of skydiving?

Not common at all. I've never seen it done, but it seems consistent with the data here. It is certainly do-able though. I have added cells to canopies, for example, to make a 5-cell into a 6-cell, or a 7 into an 8. Crossports weren't universal "back in the day", and I doubt they would be an issue if one made two canopies into one.

Jeff

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Not sure the who but I would guess Dar Robinson as a place to start, location smellsmore or perris V. late 70's for Honda or other rice burner advert.

...definitely not Perris or Elsinore. Not Cal City either. Looks like the mountains near Calico. As for the bike, its a 1981 Maico 490, two stroke air hammer. That bike could haul some freight. Cool pics, thanx for posting.

Not sure the who but I would guess Dar Robinson as a place to start, location smellsmore or perris V. late 70's for Honda or other rice burner advert.

...definitely not Perris or Elsinore. Not Cal City either. Looks like the mountains near Calico. As for the bike, its a 1981 Maico 490, two stroke air hammer. That bike could haul some freight. Cool pics, thanx for posting.

I dunno, Dean-O -

First off, I think Sparky would know (he's got a little more time up at Cal City than either of us) ;), and second, those mountains probably look a lot closer just due to the framing of the shot.

I'd venture to say that they're the ones out west of the 14, and Jimmy wasn't too close to the person shooting. There could be 6-10 miles between him and the background.
Signatures are the new black.

I think I'm going with Sparky on this one. I was jumping at Cal City early 90's and Jimmy was working on a carnival motorcycle jumping show using a hang glider canopy. He did a bunch of practice jumps during the day and then a couple at night with pyrotechnics. It looks like his kind of stunt and the backround looks a lot like Cal City. I heard later that he had an accident on the way to a show and the truck and trailer were wrecked but I never heard what happened to him.

...I only know dirtbikes, Flip. I still have a lot to learn about skydiving, but am a huge california desert buff. It dosnt look like any where in Call City that I have seen, Especially west of the 14. Maybe north towards Randsburg? Where you been any way? Just got back from Perris five minutes ago. Hope things are well.