47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Provocation Fridays…..

This is the group to ask… If you care to share..

Have you ever had an interesting dream about Cooper or gone on a Cooper inspired adventure?

In your dreams have you ever met Cooper?

Have you met someone that knew him, a stew, a pilot, an acquaintance of his, or hey - even a spirit …?

Have you ever dreamed you solved the case and found Cooper or that missing clue?

In your dreams have you ever talked about Cooper with a spouse, an acquaintance, a fellow Vortex member?

Has anyone dreamed on one or multiple specific case details in an unusual manner?

Have you ever had sequential Cooper dreams day after day?

If you could direct your dream to focus on one aspect of the case what would it be?

How do you interpret any of these dreams?

I'm sure more of your than just myself have been haunted in their dreams by this case...This is all for fun.. if you care to share. .

• Like 1

(edited)
On 4/26/2024 at 9:38 AM, Cola said:

Provocation Fridays…..

This is the group to ask… If you care to share..

Have you ever had an interesting dream about Cooper or gone on a Cooper inspired adventure?

In your dreams have you ever met Cooper?

Have you met someone that knew him, a stew, a pilot, an acquaintance of his, or hey - even a spirit …?

Have you ever dreamed you solved the case and found Cooper or that missing clue?

In your dreams have you ever talked about Cooper with a spouse, an acquaintance, a fellow Vortex member?

Has anyone dreamed on one or multiple specific case details in an unusual manner?

Have you ever had sequential Cooper dreams day after day?

If you could direct your dream to focus on one aspect of the case what would it be?

How do you interpret any of these dreams?

I'm sure more of your than just myself have been haunted in their dreams by this case...This is all for fun.. if you care to share. .

yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Edited by georger

8 hours ago, georger said:

yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

You added so many n's there it was as if you were filling in a grave.

I feel as though, I failed to delight your senses, I'll try harder next time. I'm curious though why the need to EDIT such a post?

We could always go back to a FLYJACK style message board of A fights B and either A or B triumph. I'd prefer to continue on with my own Mind-Hunting. Random inputs and provocations may be what we are left with after we have exhausted the gathered evidence.

On 4/30/2024 at 5:33 PM, The Cooper Vortex said:

...with my good friend...

Why do you only speak with your 'good friends'? I keep waiting for you to announce an episode where you speak with 'some random asshole who thinks they know something about Cooper'.

haha

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

'some random asshole who thinks they know something about Cooper'.

Hahah,

My Grammy use to say if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

She was the silent type.  

• Like 2

On 5/2/2024 at 9:16 PM, dudeman17 said:

Why do you only speak with your 'good friends'? I keep waiting for you to announce an episode where you speak with 'some random asshole who thinks they know something about Cooper'.

haha

Well, he hasn't done an episode with you yet! LOL

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 5:29 PM, Chaucer said:

Well, he hasn't done an episode with you yet! LOL

Actually he did ask me about it some time ago. But I don't independently research the case, most of what I know about it I got from you guys here and on Shutter's forum, so what could I say about it that you guys don't already know better than me? Meanwhile, Darren just made another 'with my good friend' post with no other comment. So either he doesn't read this thread or he didn't find the humor in my post. Oh well, sorry. hehe

• Like 3

(edited)

Hey NickyB...

I don't know if you saw this, but Perris flew a couple loads in their jet yesterday and are planning on flying some this weekend. I don't know what that bodes for the future, but I can't imagine them putting the cost and effort into it if they weren't hoping to make it a regular thing. It's a DC-9, not a 727, but it's as close as you're likely to get. They won't do tandems out of it,  licensed jumpers only. I would've thought they might want a B or C license, but their Facebook page just says 'licensed'. The first license, A, is at 25 jumps. I don't know if you're still interested in that, but if you are, you should call them and ask what their plans are. If so, it would be time for you to get into AFF classes. Train with us at Elsinore!

Edited by dudeman17

15 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

Hey NickyB...

I don't know if you saw this, but Perris flew a couple loads in their jet yesterday and are planning on flying some this weekend. I don't know what that bodes for the future, but I can't imagine them putting the cost and effort into it if they weren't hoping to make it a regular thing. It's a DC-9, not a 727, but it's as close as you're likely to get. They won't do tandems out of it,  licensed jumpers only. I would've thought they might want a B or C license, but their Facebook page just says 'licensed'. The first license, A, is at 25 jumps. I don't know if you're still interested in that, but if you are, you should call them and ask what their plans are. If so, it would be time for you to get into AFF classes. Train with us at Elsinore!

Hi DM!

Indeed I did. They are sending multiple loads up tomorrow so I’m planning on swinging by. I will see if I can find out if it’s going to be a regular thing or not. If it is then it’s definitely AFF classes for me this summer at Elsinore! 

• Like 1

Questions for the Gunther folks:

There are obviously some clues provided for the identify of Clara (born in Longview, WA in the 1930's, had siblings, had an uncle with a lakeside house in the original DZ in Clark County, etc.)

I assume attempts have been made to identify Clara using the clues provided in the Gunther text. How far did you get? Were you able to zero in on anyone? What resources did you use for your research. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Chaucer

On 5/14/2024 at 7:58 PM, Chaucer said:

Questions for the Gunther folks:

There are obviously some clues provided for the identify of Clara (born in Longview, WA in the 1930's, had siblings, had an uncle with a lakeside house in the original DZ in Clark County, etc.)

I assume attempts have been made to identify Clara using the clues provided in the Gunther text. How far did you get? Were you able to zero in on anyone? What resources did you use for your research. 

Thanks in advance.

Clara didn’t exist. She would have surfaced by now. There are too many incorrect details in the narrative. The device of a life story against the backdrop of a historical event is as old as the Bible. Titanic, Atonement, Gone With The Wind, The English Patient. The list goes on. 

Anyone who believes in Gunther’s book - go to a writers retreat. Then read Gunther’s book again. You will learn all the vague plot devices, intriguing language, descriptors, character development and all the other stuff writers like. Gunther’s previous works are based on how to get rich quick or get laid. 

If he had a genuine source, then this would have solved the case and won Gunther the Pulitzer Prize or the Nobel Prize for Literature. But no, he decided to keep Clara secret. His devotion to a source he never actually met in person is admirable. (Sarcasm) 

Gunther’s notes are not interview notes - it’s a synopsis that was sent to literary agents, many of whom probably wiped their ass with it. It’s a good book, but not commercially viable. Trust me - I knew this before I wrote my Cooper book. 

There are no more notes. WJS was not DB Cooper. The DNA on the stamp is likely Gunther’s or his secretary. There’s too many factual innacuracies in it, and a book that has authenticity debate is always fiction. We’re not arguing Gray or Smith Cooper books are we? Or mine, which is fake. 

I like gambling. I’d bet we will find Amelia Earheart’s skeleton before we find Clara.

The end…

• Like 1

On 5/10/2024 at 12:17 PM, Nicholas Broughton said:

I will see if I can find out...

Curious if you went out, and what you found out. What you need to know is what license, experience level, and gear requirements they have. Your first license comes at 25 jumps, and people do that on student gear, before looking for their own rig. If you're going to continue jumping as a hobby, you've got some breathing room. If you just want to do what's necessary to do a 'Cooper' jet jump, you'll want to know if they'll let you do it on post-AFF rental gear.

14 hours ago, DanCooperHimself said:

If he had a genuine source, then this would have solved the case and won Gunther the Pulitzer Prize or the Nobel Prize for Literature.

That's a fairly high bar, but I like your thinking.

This was likley obtainable only in a 1985 world when getting Coops would have been a much bigger deal.

Anyone care to speculate on what is or could be obtainable these days if someone were find Coops?

(How about a ticket to Ireland and a few pints at your local establishment?)

17 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

Curious if you went out, and what you found out. What you need to know is what license, experience level, and gear requirements they have. Your first license comes at 25 jumps, and people do that on student gear, before looking for their own rig. If you're going to continue jumping as a hobby, you've got some breathing room. If you just want to do what's necessary to do a 'Cooper' jet jump, you'll want to know if they'll let you do it on post-AFF rental gear.

I did and was over the moon when I heard they will be doing tandems from the DC 9-21 the weekend of July 6th and 7th. I’m going to get the chance to jump a jet! 

Edited by Nicholas Broughton

DB Cooper: Cool, Calm, and Collected or Reckless Sociopath?

Was DB Cooper truly the cool, calm, and collected mastermind we often imagine, or was he a reckless sociopath teetering on the edge of chaos?

The Calm Facade

To many, Cooper appeared the very definition of composure. His interactions with the flight attendants and crew were polite and methodical. He made no unnecessary threats and even ensured that his demands were precise and clear. His demeanour during the hijacking conveyed a man in control, someone who had meticulously planned every detail. His confidence was palpable, perhaps even infectious, making it easy to see him as the archetypal "gentleman hijacker."

The Evidence of Recklessness

However, beneath this veneer of calm lay a series of actions that suggest a far more reckless and dangerous individual. Cooper’s lack of demand for specific parachutes and his choice of a 24ft canopy, suitable for sport jumping rather than a high-stakes escape, indicate either a profound miscalculation or a death wish. Jumping into the wilderness of the Pacific Northwest, at night, in poor weather conditions, with a cotton money bag fastened to him by paracord, borders on the suicidal. These actions do not reflect the careful planning of a master criminal but rather the impulsiveness of someone with little regard for their own life—or anyone else’s.

The Sociopathic Tendencies

Cooper’s apparent indifference to his own survival and the lives of those around him is perhaps the most telling aspect of his character. His use of Benzedrine, an amphetamine known for its ability to keep users alert and awake, suggests an individual willing to use dangerous substances to maintain his edge. The presence of what appeared to be live explosives and possibly a gun indicates a readiness to escalate the situation to deadly levels if necessary.

Mike Vining’s assessment that the bomb was a fake because of exposed wires being "unsafe" seems to miss the point. Cooper was not an engineer prioritising safety; he was a man willing to risk everything. His actions were inherently unsafe and careless, from the moment he stepped onto that plane to the moment he leapt into the unknown.

The Moral Vacuum

A pivotal trait of sociopathy is a lack of empathy, a moral vacuum where one’s actions are driven solely by self-interest without regard for others. Cooper’s hijacking was not just a crime; it was a profound act of selfishness. He put the lives of the passengers, crew, and even himself, in jeopardy for a significant sum of money. His detachment and lack of visible emotional response to the danger he created is indicative of a man operating without the constraints of a typical moral compass.

The Enigma of Human Nature

Understanding DB Cooper's psyche requires delving deeper into the juxtaposition between his apparent composure and underlying recklessness. This is not merely a tale of a calculated heist but a narrative that challenges our perceptions of criminal behaviour and the human capacity for risk and disregard for consequences.

The Thrill of the Unknown

Some theories suggest that Cooper was a thrill-seeker, motivated by the adrenaline rush rather than the financial gain. The very act of hijacking a plane and parachuting into the wilderness is an extreme form of thrill-seeking behaviour. This perspective aligns with the characteristics of sociopathy—where the need for stimulation and a lack of fear can lead to increasingly risky actions.

A skydiving course back then was $40 or so. He had $40 that day. A $20 for the fare and a $20 for the drink. The man wanted money.

The Legacy of DB Cooper

The enduring fascination with DB Cooper is partly due to the mystery that surrounds him. His disappearance without a trace has left the story open-ended, inviting speculation and myth-making. However, beyond the legend lies a cautionary tale about the perils of glorifying criminal acts. While Cooper may be seen by some as a folk hero, a deeper look reveals a disturbed individual whose actions were far from heroic.

The Sociopath's Shadow

In examining Cooper as a sociopath, it’s essential to understand what this entails. Sociopaths often exhibit a superficial charm and a keen ability to manipulate others. Cooper’s polite demeanour and methodical approach fit this profile. However, their charm masks a profound lack of empathy and a propensity for reckless behaviour. Cooper’s willingness to endanger lives for his own gain exemplifies this dangerous blend.

The Moral Implications

The story of DB Cooper is a stark reminder of the ethical implications of romanticising outlaws. While the mystery of his fate intrigues us, it’s crucial to remember the fear and danger he imposed on innocent people. His actions were not those of a misunderstood genius but of a man indifferent to the suffering of others.

A pivotal trait of sociopathy is a lack of empathy, a moral vacuum where one’s actions are driven solely by self-interest without regard for others. Cooper’s hijacking was not just a crime; it was a profound act of selfishness. He put the lives of the passengers, crew, and even himself, in jeopardy for a significant sum of money. His detachment and lack of visible emotional response to the danger he created is indicative of a man operating without the constraints of a typical moral compass.

6 hours ago, Nicholas Broughton said:

I did and was over the moon when I heard they will be doing tandems from the DC 9-21 the weekend of July 6th and 7th. I’m going to get the chance to jump a jet! 

Wow, ok, that's cool! Their original post said they weren't going to do that, but their instructors probably pitched a fit and said 'let us, let us!'. A bit of advice - if you're going to wear a suit*, do like Cooper and leave the tie behind, and wear a shirt with a button-down collar. The wind whips loose stuff around, and a normal collar will rake your neck!

*(Edit to add - the exit speed of that jet is pretty high, you'll want to inquire beforehand whether they'll let you wear a suit at all.)

Edited by dudeman17

2 hours ago, dudeman17 said:

Wow, ok, that's cool! Their original post said they weren't going to do that, but their instructors probably pitched a fit and said 'let us, let us!'. A bit of advice - if you're going to wear a suit*, do like Cooper and leave the tie behind, and wear a shirt with a button-down collar. The wind whips loose stuff around, and a normal collar will rake your neck!

*(Edit to add - the exit speed of that jet is pretty high, you'll want to inquire beforehand whether they'll let you wear a suit at all.)

I was considering but it’s gonna be hot AF in July. I’d rather be comfortable and enjoy the jump!