47 47
quade

DB Cooper

Nice find on the metals list for the SST. Once again Snow shows his incredible search skills. We did hear that they used pure Ti in things like the hydraulic lines but discounted it because it was such a comparatively small amount.

Now the key is to find 400 series stainless on the SST hopefully in association with the pure Ti. 500 series aluminum would help too.

Tom Kaye

Maybe a repost of two posts is in order? (below).

Back packs from two sources? Cossey's use of the
word "his" meant he rigs/packed/'sold them ... to
Hayden?

Several things are obvious here: neither party has
fully explained the other, for some reason. Maybe
Hangdiver's explanation below is what happened?
Why cant these journalists ask the questions that
matter, to straighten this out! ???

One thing seems apparent. Both parties seem a little
upset with each other for some reason not explained.
Cossey has no hesitation about naming Hayden.
Hayden will not talk about Cossey. Neither party
explained. While the Issaquah story is perfectly clear
and undisputed, as per the below -

Why is any of this important? It answers the question:
which chute did Cooper use and what was its nature.

smokin99
Oct 18, 2011, 8:23 AM
Post #27814 of 42917 (1621 views)
Quote | Reply

http://myprojectstatus.net/...DOCU_parachutes1.pdf

The link originated from Geoffrey Gray's "The Hunt for DB Cooper" website. http://myprojectstatus.net/skyjack/

Additionally...
Excerpt from the Issaquaah Press, Wed, Dec 1, 1971, Vol 71 No. 48 by Bill Ostlund titled "Hijacker may be known in Issaquah" that has been posted on thread in the past…(Post #18929)….
"......The Issaquah parachutist supplied the two chest packs the hijacker demanded. Enrick (sp?) recalled that the Washington Aeronautic Commission had called him last Wednesday afternoon requesting "four parachutes for two hijackers in Seattle" (Smokin says....Later in the article Emrick states that he subsequently learned there was only one hijacker). ...(Emrick) then learned that a Renton firm supplied the two backpack chutes and only chest pack chutes would be needed…….."

(This post was edited by smokin99 on Oct 18, 2011, 8:48 AM)

hangdiver

PM Friend
Oct 18, 2011, 8:42 AM
Post #27815 of 42917 (1608 views)
Quote | Reply

The link originated from Geoffrey Gray's "The Hunt for DB Cooper" website. http://myprojectstatus.net/skyjack/

Additionally...
Excerpt from the Issaquaah Press, Wed, Dec 1, 1971, Vol 71 No. 48 by Bill Ostlund titled "Hijacker may be known in Issaquah" that has been posted on thread in the past…….
"......The Issaquah parachutist supplied the two chest packs the hijacker demanded. Enrick (sp?) recalled that the Washington Aeronautic Commission had called him last Wednesday afternoon requesting "four parachutes for two hijackers in Seattle" (Smokin says....Later in the article Emrick states that he subsequently learned there was only one hijacker). ...(Emrick) then learned that a Renton firm supplied the two backpack chutes and only chest pack chutes would be needed…….."

Thanks smokin99, I haven't read the book and it's been a while since I've read the transcripts...nice info...current descriptions versus old memories...which would I go with...probably the...then...current info...

I kinda figured Cossey either sold or assembled those rigs...just reading what he had to say about them...

I've known a rigger or two in my journeys...

eta: so Cossey gave them rigs he had already sold to Hayden...and had just repacked and assembled...I wonder if Hayden had ever been in possession of them yet...???...

hangdiver

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

(This post was edited by hangdiver on Oct 18, 2011, 8:53 AM)

Unless it is eventually found, it will probably never be known with absolute certainty what the rip cord arrangement was on the back parachute Cooper took with him.

But based on the information in all of Georger's recent posts and reposts of other people, it should be apparent that Cossey had made some kind of modification to the rip cord arrangement on the missing back pack.

On Hayden's parachute that he got back, it should be noted that after its repacking on May 21, 1971 by Cossey, it was already far out of date by the time of the hijacking. If I remember correctly, its next repacking date (listed on the card in Bruce's picture) was more than 10 years later. That is NOT taking good care of your equipment.

Does anyone know if Hayden was flying in 1971 or owned an aircraft then? If so, where did he keep his aircraft?

Robert99

Nice find on the metals list for the SST. Once again Snow shows his incredible search skills. We did hear that they used pure Ti in things like the hydraulic lines but discounted it because it was such a comparatively small amount.

Now the key is to find 400 series stainless on the SST hopefully in association with the pure Ti. 500 series aluminum would help too.

Tom Kaye

You will find that with the GOLF club thing. Made in Denver, Co and also a plant on the EAST coast in 1971. Duane told me about the Denver Plant - and why I looked there for information. WHY he told me and HOW I remembered something so insignificant - I will never know. BUT, I do.

The shafts and the strikers is why you found both metals.
Copyright 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 2013, 2014, 2015 by Jo Weber

Maybe a repost of two posts is in order? (below).

Back packs from two sources? Cossey's use of the
word "his" meant he rigs/packed/'sold them ... to
Hayden?

Several things are obvious here: neither party has
fully explained the other, for some reason. Maybe
Hangdiver's explanation below is what happened?
Why cant these journalists ask the questions that
matter, to straighten this out! ???

One thing seems apparent. Both parties seem a little
upset with each other for some reason not explained.
Cossey has no hesitation about naming Hayden.
Hayden will not talk about Cossey. Neither party
explained. While the Issaquah story is perfectly clear
and undisputed, as per the below -

Why is any of this important? It answers the question:
which chute did Cooper use and what was its nature.

smokin99
Oct 18, 2011, 8:23 AM
Post #27814 of 42917 (1621 views)
Quote | Reply

Additionally...
Excerpt from the Issaquaah Press, Wed, Dec 1, 1971, Vol 71 No. 48 by Bill Ostlund titled "Hijacker may be known in Issaquah" that has been posted on thread in the past…(Post #18929)….

(This post was edited by smokin99 on Oct 18, 2011, 8:48 AM)

hangdiver

PM Friend
Oct 18, 2011, 8:42 AM
Post #27815 of 42917 (1608 views)
Quote | Reply

Additionally...
Excerpt from the Issaquaah Press, Wed, Dec 1, 1971, Vol 71 No. 48 by Bill Ostlund titled "Hijacker may be known in Issaquah" that has been posted on thread in the past…….

Thanks smokin99, I haven't read the book and it's been a while since I've read the transcripts...nice info...current descriptions versus old memories...which would I go with...probably the...then...current info...

I kinda figured Cossey either sold or assembled those rigs...just reading what he had to say about them...

I've known a rigger or two in my journeys...

eta: so Cossey gave them rigs he had already sold to Hayden...and had just repacked and assembled...I wonder if Hayden had ever been in possession of them yet...???...

hangdiver

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

(This post was edited by hangdiver on Oct 18, 2011, 8:53 AM)

Unless it is eventually found, it will probably never be known with absolute certainty what the rip cord arrangement was on the back parachute Cooper took with him.

But based on the information in all of Georger's recent posts and reposts of other people, it should be apparent that Cossey had made some kind of modification to the rip cord arrangement on the missing back pack.

On Hayden's parachute that he got back, it should be noted that after its repacking on May 21, 1971 by Cossey, it was already far out of date by the time of the hijacking. If I remember correctly, its next repacking date (listed on the card in Bruce's picture) was more than 10 years later. That is NOT taking good care of your equipment.

Does anyone know if Hayden was flying in 1971 or owned an aircraft then? If so, where did he keep his aircraft?

Robert99

The FBI had the chute until 1982, I think Hayden just wanted it back and probably never intended to use it or sell it.

Quote from The Mountain News...............

"the chute was re-packed twice – in 1982 and 1984 – after its return from the FBI, according to Norman. "

actually the card shows 1986 not 1984......B|
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

So I'm not seeing working with a lathe with a tie on -- so assuming that it's Cooper's tie, would one be more likely to put Cooper in the "I'm pretending to be an executive so i can carry this bomb in a briefcase....hmmm..what does every well dressed executive wear......gee I found this clip on tie at the goodwill...I'll use it" camp (meaning that the tie has no meaning) or is he someone who worked close enough to pure Ti it to get it on him?

working on a lathe wearing a tie is not a good thing, even a clip on would
be dangerous around rolling machines. I would put him in a supervisor position
with wearing a tie in a manufacturing plant B|
"It is surprising how aggressive people get, once they latch onto their suspect and say, 'Hey, he's our guy.' No matter what you tell them, they refuse to believe you" Agent Carr FBI

So I'm not seeing working with a lathe with a tie on -- so assuming that it's Cooper's tie, would one be more likely to put Cooper in the "I'm pretending to be an executive so i can carry this bomb in a briefcase....hmmm..what does every well dressed executive wear......gee I found this clip on tie at the goodwill...I'll use it" camp (meaning that the tie has no meaning) or is he someone who worked close enough to pure Ti it to get it on him?

Others, including myself, have made the same suggestion.

Nevertheless, Tom Kaye has pictures of lathe and other such machine operators wearing fully knotted ties (not clip-ons).

Robert99

Nevertheless, Tom Kaye has pictures of lathe and other such machine operators wearing fully knotted ties (not clip-ons).

Robert99

hopefully they were wearing a shop apron? :$

I did find one.......

Robert99

I did find one.......

This interfaces with OSHA rules which came in at
different times for different shops.

Some shops grandfathered in! Ties permitted. Some
agriculture shops excluded which lead to a whole new
visitation of research and work safety, much of that
conducted in places like Iowa State ...

It could even be a tie Cooper picked up from
someone somewhere ... the smoking particles seem
to fit Cooper?

As to brand? :D What matters is families of
particles as Smokin99 alluded to ...

Robert99

I did find one.......

This interfaces with OSHA rules which came in at
different times for different shops.

Some shops grandfathered in! Ties permitted. Some
agriculture shops excluded which lead to a whole new
visitation of research and work safety, much of that
conducted in places like Iowa State ...

It could even be a tie Cooper picked up from
someone somewhere ... the smoking particles seem
to fit Cooper?

As to brand? :D What matters is families of
particles as Smokin99 alluded to ...

understood, much like seeking out the tie clip, I'm not really sure if anything is there
to be investigated, if he quickly gathered his clothing for the crime, we might end up
chasing the wrong guy. I guess the same could go for the DNA?

Robert99

1. Hayden told me that the FBI took several years to return the Pioneer chute to him. Remember, he had to go to court to get it. He also told me that when he got it back that he had it repacked. I assumed that meant it took until the 1980s for Norman to get his chute back, although NWO had paid for it long before.

2. Norman is a long time flyer. I think he began in the 1940s or 50s. His shop is filled with photos of him flying vintage aircarft and WWII stuff all over the place. In 1971 his airplane was parked at Boeing Field, I think, or perhaps Renton Airpark. I'd have to check my notes.

1. Hayden told me that the FBI took several years to return the Pioneer chute to him. Remember, he had to go to court to get it. He also told me that when he got it back that he had it repacked. I assumed that meant it took until the 1980s for Norman to get his chute back, although NWO had paid for it long before.

2. Norman is a long time flyer. I think he began in the 1940s or 50s. His shop is filled with photos of him flying vintage aircarft and WWII stuff all over the place. In 1971 his airplane was parked at Boeing Field, I think, or perhaps Renton Airpark. I'd have to check my notes.

Why would he go to Court to get his chute back that NWO had already paid him for!?

I loaned a cow to a neighbor which died. I was paid for
it. Can I go back to Court to get my dead cow back
and keep the money!?

:D

During my phone conversation with Hayden this week, he mentioned that he had made it clear with NWO that the chutes were a RENTAL, and he was not interested in selling them outright. He added that this rental fee was paid within days, and he was happy about that, but not later... when the FBI appropriated the one remaining chute as evidence, and the other disappeared with Cooper. He said there wasn't much he could do about it. He ended up buying another chute, I believe he said a 'seat pack', for the aerobatic flying.

Later, he decided to try and get the other one returned, and it was (finally).

[reeply and 4pply thingie]

I wonder if I could rent my cow's milk and corn and
beans by the hour?

:o

During my phone conversation with Hayden this week, he mentioned that he had made it clear with NWO that the chutes were a RENTAL, and he was not interested in selling them outright. He added that this rental fee was paid within days, and he was happy about that, but not later... when the FBI appropriated the one remaining chute as evidence, and the other disappeared with Cooper. He said there wasn't much he could do about it. He ended up buying another chute, I believe he said a 'seat pack', for the aerobatic flying.

Later, he decided to try and get the other one returned, and it was (finally).

[reeply and 4pply thingie]

I wonder if I could rent my cow's milk and corn and
beans by the hour?

:o

Robert says: Uh, no. But even a whuffo like me knows parachutes can be rented...:S

Do you actually put some thought into responses like that, or do they just come off the top of your head?

'Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away.'
Elvis Presley

[/reply box that does not work]

Well, yes I do, Elvis.

It's pur'dy simpul, Elvis.

Who would "rent" his parachutes, by the hour or day
or whatever, in an emergency, to an airline, Govt, or
anyone else, for a hijacking no less!

An "out of date illegal" parachute no less!

Then sue to get it back!

Or charge 3650 days rent plus interest compounded
plus loss, pain, and suffering ...

No wonder when I want to put my four grandkids on a
plane it would be cheaper just to buy the damned
airline ... and pay Adventure Books a commission!

Hey Blevins. Do you know what humor is or are you
all puckered up like a lawn toad 24/7?

:D:D:D:D:D

Georger says in part:

'Hey Blevins. Do you know what humor is or are you all puckered up like a lawn toad 24/7?...'

Your so-called humor basically consists of insults, one after another. Some actually directly at Cossey and his widow and his funeral, which has not even been held yet. Shall I quote you again on those statements? Let me give you a hint, Georger. I am not amused.

'Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away.'
Elvis Presley

WTF! Get real "Elvis".

FYI: Northwest Airlines didn't tell Hayden the chutes were for a hijacker. They said it was 'a matter of life or death' and simply requested them on the recommendation of someone else who pointed them to Hayden. (See PDF excerpt from the FBI record) He was very busy, but took time out of whatever he was doing to gather up the chutes, grab a receipt book, and call the cab to deliver them. I would call that very generous, and a very nice thing to do. He just expected they would be returned.

Hayden said in his phone conversation that he didn't understand what they were being used for until he finally tuned in the news. And I have no reason to doubt his word on any of his testimony.

Elvis Presley

[reply thingy]

So he gives out outdated illegal chutes in your
"a matter of life or death" situation.

Very generous.

I guess it wasn't his fault his chutes were out of date,
illegal, and potentially defective. It's life vs death, you
say!

I'm sure you would do the same. Remind me never to
buy a book from you!

Can you spell "pusillanimous", Elvis ?

:D:D

It seems very clear you are attempting to gain notoriety, similar to the attempt you tried on the Komo news site.
the comment there was very little about Cossey, and a lot about Blevins. now you demand answers to a murder
that took place just several days ago, but once again this was not your motive, very little is said about your anger
over no updates and felt compelled to give all sorts of information in hopes that they take the bait in order for you
to become the "go to guy" on Cossey.

what are you more upset with, very little news about involvement of a person in a 40+ year old crime, or no attention
given to your first attempt to gain notoriety in this?

not just DZ asking about your motives.......
"Hopefully you are not using this news report on this poor man's death to promote your book."

shameful IMO >:(

Elvis Presley

I call it 'Shaking the Tree'. :)

Pretty Phony/Sleazy.

:SB|

Don't you get the feeling Blevins would give his right nut to be on TV like Bruce was last week? I saw you being interviewed, Bruce, on one of the local Seattle broadcasts. You did well. And I noticed the TV station put in a plug for you upcoming book. I hope it's a smashing success.

MeyerLouie

MeyerLouie

To MeyerLouie

You say:
"As I have been reading the posts these last 2 or 3 days, I still can't help but ask the question: who gives a rat's ass whether Cossey and/or Hayden packed and/or owned the parachutes provided to Cooper? This helps further understanding of the case because _______________________ (fill in the blank)."

The Blank as I see it is that the chute used by DB was one of the two supplied by Norman Hayden and the one returned to Hayden by the FBI was the one that DB did not use. However, the importance of the chute returned to Hayden is that it was purchased by Hayden at the same time as the chute that was used by DB Cooper and is a duplicate (exactly the same). So, the chute returned is a piece of the histery that tells us what chute DB used and will be on display at the Tacoma Washington State Historical Museum possibly as early as November this year (2013) in the DB Cooper display.

I hope to get a picture of the manufacturing label on the chute to compare with the photo the FBI has of the Amboy chute mfg. date and if they compare, then the Amboy chute was most likely the one used by Cooper. If not, then the Amboy chute can be eliminated as a possibility. My hopes are not high as the chute at the museum has had one of its edges (2 in) pulled out for the photograph Bruce took at Haydens place. That photo shows the chute (and thus the DB chute used) to be rip-stop (probably Dacron).

The other important piece of information is the two back chutes provided by Cossey had one modified so that it was a pull for the left hand and not the standard pull for the right hand. This information was used by Cossey to claim DB did not make it as the modified pull would have confused him. However, Bruce and I believe that the two back chutes that got to Cooper were the two from Hayden and not modified.

Even though the two Hayden chutes were the same they were packed in two different containers. DB selected the military version of the two containers supplied to him. This was a smart move by DB according to Mark as the military container was more rugged and would have stood up to the forces in the 727 jump better. DB was clever enough to make the right choice. He was a skilled and very experienced skydiver.

Bob Sailshaw
[email protected]

Thanks for the clarification, that helps a lot. Is there any way to get the Tacoma Museum to let you check out the Hayden chute now? I can drop in and ask some questions, and then let you know. You are one of a select few who has tagged DBC an experienced skydiver. Several have said an experienced diver would not have done the things he did -- I'm sure the forum will continue that coversation at a later time. I get a feeling you may be right, or at least DBC knew more than he was letting on.

MeyerLouie

Georger:

Hangdiver says:

"eta: so Cossey gave them rigs he had already sold to Hayden...and had just repacked and assembled...I wonder if Hayden had ever been in possession of them yet...???..."

According to my talking with Hayden, Cossey had nothing to do with the two "Back Chutes" he provided (other than Cossey was signed in on the rigger packing card and dated May 21, 1971). Hayden had a cab pick up the two chutes at his company in Kent Washington for delivery to Boeing Flight Services. Hayden did not want to get in a news paper hassel with Cossey and avoided him altogether. Hayden knew that Cossey was not telling the truth about the chutes but did not want to get involved in the new paper hassel.

So, Hayden was in possession/ownership of the two back chutes provided for NORJAC and was returned one chute by the FBI. That chute is now in possession of the Washington State Historical Museum in Tacoma and can be seen in their DB Cooper display (August or November).

Bob Sailshaw
[email protected]

Meyer Louie says in part:

'Don't you get the feeling Blevins would give his right nut to be on TV like Bruce was last week? I saw you being interviewed, Bruce, on one of the local Seattle broadcasts. You did well. And I noticed the TV station put in a plug for you upcoming book. I hope it's a smashing success...'

So do I, Meyer. You may recall I offered Bruce our services on editing (spellcheck and formatting, setup for Kindle and print, not content) free for his book. Then I suggested he could set up his own accounts at Kindle and Lightning Source and simply upload the manuscripts and cover file. I've also told him AB will not be mentioned anywhere in the book credits. This is what I do on private edits, except for Bruce no charge. Ask him yourself. There are too few books available on Cooper, and I think Bruce has something to offer.

I'm refusing calls from the media right now. I have no statements for them on Cossey, since I didn't know him personally. And no, I don't want to go on TV.

WHY would YOU be "refusing calls from the media"
on the murder of Earl J Cossey!? What have YOU got
to do with this!?

Do you and Gayla now own the Cossey story!?

"Robert M Blevins
3 days ago

@lakeunion @The206 @lakeunion Nah, not promoting. Just citing. I hope they catch whomever did this, and quickly. Think I will head to Amazon and make the book a free download for a while, as a sort of memorial to the guy. Many people are posting up about Cossey today at Dropzone dot com, the DB Cooper thread under Skydiving History and Trivia. "
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Sheriff-Woodinville-mans-death-ruled-a-homicide-205013021.html

Comments at:
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/01/secret-life-of-a-d-b-cooper-hijacking-witness-includes-disappearing-to-a-nunnery/

"Freddie at the Bureau

Mr. Blevins, I sent that e-mail to you about three
years ago just to make you feel good. But for the
past 35 months, you've given everyone at the
Bureau........indigestion. Your KC Report was the only
laughable entertainment around here. Get over
yourself. ps.... we've been watching you .... You are
without shame."

The murder of Earl Jay Cossey, aged 71, has been confirmed today by the King County Medical Examiner's Office. They further announced that the cause of death was blunt force to the head, and the murder occured on Tuesday, April 23.

However the body was found by his daughter on Friday, April 26. Police say that Coss last had contact with his family on Monday, April 22, when he went to a movie with family members.

My condolences to Coss' family and his many friends.

This from the King County (Seattle) Sheriff's Dept:

"Additionally I have had many calls asking if this case is related to the DB Cooper case. 'We have NO information that leads us to believe that this case has any relation to the Cooper case.'”

Sergeant Cindi West

King County Sheriff's Office

Public Information Officer