steve1

Is Exiting A Small Door Beech A Lost Art?

I've made quite a few passes thru the small door also, with no lasting damage; but one of the girls at our DZ was making a mass exit one day and suddenly found herself flapping against the side of the plane as her wedding ring had hooked somewhere on the edge of the door. She fell free shortly, when her finger detached at the knuckle...

There has GOTTA be 20-30 different 9 fingered old skychicks somewhere...:ph34r:

I've heard that story SO MANY times...so many different people, so many different dropzones, so many different planes...:o

Not saying YOU didn't see it too....just that after the 8th or 10th one ya would think these women would wear GLOVES!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi steve1,

Looks like a few of the old Ward-Vene jumpsuits in that photo.

Terry Ward died in the Beech that went in on takeoff at Taft, don't remember the time frame though. Also, cannot remember the name of the pilot/owner.

Jerry

It was Spike Yarder, October 1982.[:/]

Obviously it was a different Terry ward than the one that died along with Dave Wildes during a tandem bounce at Perris in the mid eighties? Both were members of the old "Coors Team" (formerly: Perris Valley Visions). Sad day that one.:(

Mick.

There has GOTTA be 20-30 different 9 fingered old skychicks somewhere...:ph34r:

I've heard that story SO MANY times...so many different people, so many different dropzones, so many different planes...:o

;)

I was in a DC-3 at Freeport one year...cant remember what year...I was on an 8 way behind a wedding group.
They did the vows....then jammed the door.
The bride was in the middle of the group. A ten way . For some reason she stuck her head up just as she was going thru the round door top.....broke her neck.
She spiraled into the corn...nothing out... and coincidently landed 50 yards behind my wife at our campsite.
Ive never ever had to have my wife bother me about going to a boogie again....no way no how.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Obviously it was a different Terry ward than the one that died along with Dave Wildes during a tandem bounce at Perris in the mid eighties?

I believe that was Terry Dean that died with Dave. I am talking about Terry "Twitch" Ward.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The one fastphil is talking about is the same one I've mentioned. That one at least is quite real.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Obviously it was a different Terry ward than the one that died along with Dave Wildes during a tandem bounce at Perris in the mid eighties?

I believe that was Terry Dean that died with Dave. I am talking about Terry "Twitch" Ward.:)

You guys are of course right, must be getting old. I couldn't remember Terrys last name, my bad. Hell I even attended his memorial in El Cajon!:(

Mick.

Shit yeah, with a surplus B-4 container and a PC. For my chest mount I had at least moved my 24 ft. reserve into a Pop Top container, Sage Green to almost match the rest of my rig. Of course I only weighed about 160 lbs in those days, so at 6'3" was one slender tall drink of water. I used to go floater, which did NOT mean climbing out. It meant I exited before the base and would turn and fly back up to the downhill side of the star.

Did a lot more from small door Beeches at Otay Lake, which was called Borderland in those days. We had two small door Beeches, the "Blue Coffin" and the "Green Star Express". I had a running open sore on my right leg, it would just start to scab over when the next weekend would come around and rip it right back off again, but being young & stupid, it never bothered me at all.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

We had two small door Beeches, the "Blue Coffin" and the "Green Star Express". reply]

We used to jump some aircraft in the 70's that were barely airworthy. We took off in one ole beech when shortly after takeoff we could smell something burning. So at barely 3,000 ft, we made an emergency exit that would have rivalled even Jerry Bird's team.

And then the pilot was wondering what to do next. I don't think he wanted to go down with the ship very bad. Apparently the electrical system had started on fire a little, and smoke was starting to fill the plane. He couldn't tell if his landing gear was down or not because the wiring was messed up. One of us should have been able to look out the door, and check this visually, but we had all left with first whiff of smoke.

At any rate, he kept his cool. Apparently his radio still worked fine. He did a fly by the tower, and the controller told him it was safe to land. (That his gear was down.) So, we all lived to play another day....Steve1

That was not a good day.
I was in line waiting to get my morning pick me up (after the fun night) and watched her go in.
Later that afetrnoon another girl went in when I was in line to get something to eat. This one had around 30 jumps and came in from some other state with her boy friend and managed to not operate a hand deploy properly or the reserve. :-(
I've had better days.

Red, White and Blue Skies,

John T. Brasher D-5166

That was not a good day.
I was in line waiting to get my morning pick me up (after the fun night) and watched her go in.
Later that afetrnoon another girl went in when I was in line to get something to eat. This one had around 30 jumps and came in from some other state with her boy friend and managed to not operate a hand deploy properly or the reserve. :-(
I've had better days.

Yes....I remember that too ,John. My group and I were in the loading line over by the runway. She went in just between the taxiway and the main runway. Somebody said "LOOK" and there was a flash of reserve and then a thump. Not a good day.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

This thread made me think of a unique jump I once had at YOLO out of a Beech 18. I was going second to last with Bob Bonitz (The Bionic Carrot) right behind me. As I was exciting, I tripped on my jump suit and Bob fell right on top of me. We fell out of the door together with Bob on my back. He stayed there as we dove down to the formation. Just as we were about to enter he slid off my back grabbed my right hand and we broke into the formation together. I don't think we could have done that again even if we practiced.

This would have been around 1979 or 1980. It was during the short time that Pope was closed before Bill Dause took it over for a couple of years. I think my shins were a little worse for the wear that day.

I made 546 jumps out of Beech D-18S N6BA. I suppose you would call it a "large" door, as it was not oval. Made my first jump out of it in 1996 at Cedar Valley Utah. Last load I saw out of it was a lingerie load with all the "hot chicks" on the drop zone. I am sure someone was licking the seats after that load. Despite all the scary stories, I have the best memories of jumping that beech, and DC-3's Southern Cross and Blue Streak. Both owned by Bob Metz at the time. Round engines ROCK(ed)!

Hi Steve,
I just read your post about exiting the small door of the Beech. On my 88th jump, Aug 15, 1964 at Orange MA, I bent my top pin. It was on a solo 45 second delay dive for my C license. Vin Silvia, the ASO was observing. I made 2 attempts to open my main and during that brief time I actually had a memory flashback and recalled the hesitation I experienced as my pack hit the top of the door and I thought "I bet you've bent your top pin and you're going to have to use your reserve". I doubt if I would have ever remembered that hesitation at the door if I could have deployed my main normally. I stuck my left arm out and rolled onto my right side as I pulled the reserve. I then attempted to "punch" the reserve as I'd been taught. Needles to say, it wasn't there and immediately I experienced it's HARD opening. I heard myself audibly grunt. As quick and as hard as the opening was, it didn't hurt, at least then. I made a couple of attempts to reach through the lines and sweep my arms back inorder to get vertical but with the heavy main on my back
I wasn't able to. Maybe I was just weak.
My more immediate concern was that I was over thick pine woods and I had real doubt that I'd drift far enough downwind to make the airfield. Finally the tree line slipped beneath my feet and about 3 seconds later I landed. First my heels and then my butt. That was the most painful part of the jump. In a minute or two I was able to get to my feet and take my rig off. I got into the pickup truck that had come from the other side of the field and was driven back to the flight line.
I put the rig back on and with a number of observers gathered around was able to successfully pull the main. It took a real effort though and there wasn't the constraint of time.
I wasn't hurt and even jumped the next day. But a day or two later I was so sore on my left side that I went to the doctor thinking I might have torn something. He said everything on my left side was just strained and I should be fine in a week or so.
I went back to the dropzone the following weekend but just to hang out. I was too sore to feel like jumping.
I still have that ripcord and I'll try to attach a couple
of images.

Regards
Ed Whyte C 2186