steve1

Is Exiting A Small Door Beech A Lost Art?

One thing jumpers will probably never see again is a good RW team exit a small door beech while wearing the old gear. By today's standards this might seem impossible. But let me tell you, back in the day, teams did it all the time. Most doors on the old twin beeches were tiny.

This was truly a marvel to watch. Most jumpers back in the early 70's had chest mount reserves and bulky para-commanders, and yet an experienced ten-way team could exit, slick as a whistle, one at a time, at a record rate, with narry a hang up.

The way we did it was cram as close together in a line. After the pin-base left it was follow the leader time, diving for the hole (of a door) when your turn came. And we were really slow in comparison to the truly greats in the sport like Jerry Bird's All Stars.

One worry was banging the top of your container on the top of the door, bending your rip cord housing, and having a total on your main. But then again, what was there to worry about back then. We were all young and dumb, and bullet proof.

Does this bring back any memories for anyone?.....Steve1

I have more than a few out of a small door Beech...and believe me it's even MORE of an art when you are about 6'5" and 240 lbs. w/o~ gear!:o

I would dive for the hole a bit farther back than most, and drop a shoulder to try and squish through kinda sideways, or more of a 45 degree angle to the floor.:S

Thank God for the old Bell motorcycle helmets!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Does this bring back any memories for anyone?.....Steve1

Come to Eloy for the Holiday Boogie Steve.. they have a Beech 18.. for you to relive your youth in.. hell I would do RW with you out of it if you do:P

(You can jump your Paracommander with a Belly mount if you like..Me I will stick to my new stuff... and keep the PC and belly wart for LP in the summer):)

Hey... he saw me jumpin the OLD stuff this summer at LP...

I jumped a PC MKII that is older than most of the posters here on DIZZIE DOT COM...

DOM Aug 1970

The reserve is a flat circular 24' 1969...:)

And last summer I jumped my 1974 Steinthal Papillion...... I HATE having canopies in my posession that I have not jumped personallyB|

Hey... he saw me jumpin the OLD stuff this summer at LP...

I jumped a PC MKII that is older than most of the posters here on DIZZIE DOT COM...

DOM Aug 1970

most ? hahahahaha

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

most ? hahahahaha

Certainly not you ya old fart:P

But think of the demographics... what percentage of DIZZY DOT COMMERS... are older than 36 years old;)

My favorite demographic is the % of them that dont even jump anymore. :)

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

what percentage of DIZZY DOT COMMERS... are older than 36 years old...

Just the REALLY HOT ones!:ph34r:;)

Awwe - THANKS Twardo.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I have more than a few out of a small door Beech...and believe me it's even MORE of an art when you are about 6'5" and 240 lbs. w/o~ gear!:o

reply]

Gee whiz...That's how big I wanted to get but it never happened. I think I had a midget or two in my family tree somewhere. It really messed up the gene pool.....Steve1

The 2nd type of plane I jumped , was a super beech, large door, I have over a 100 jumps from this beech, N2AP, outta Cal-City. Last time I jumped one was at a demo in Kansas a couple of years,
But even today jumping outta King Air's ain't that easy.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

I wonder which 'small door' Beech 18 you are referring to?
Most jumpers would call a D model a small door, but at least it had a flat bottom.
The C models I have many jumps from had a curved top and bottom, and was quite a challenge to float front or rear from.
The center was the only 'easy' floater exit position.
My position from any model 18 was front floater. I grew the fingernails on my left hand slightly longer than the right, just so I could hook the window frame on climbout.

"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

Our beech started out with a small round door, A buddy and I working on the B-1B production line had all the tool and supplies to install an "air stairs"
door that had a flat bottom that could be removed. Also was installed were a set of "pockets" for hand holds that work out great. I have also jumped a D-18 with a small round and no kind flooter grips, and your right very hard to hang on.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

Hi steve1,

Looks like a few of the old Ward-Vene jumpsuits in that photo.

Terry Ward died in the Beech that went in on takeoff at Taft, don't remember the time frame though. Also, cannot remember the name of the pilot/owner.

Jerry

It was Spike Yarder, October 1982.[:/]
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The small doors that were rounded top and bottom we called "knothole" Beeches. There were variations, first just squaring off the bottom, then a door with a squared-off top and bottom and wider than a knothole too, and then a cargo door. I jumped all four types. Mostly the AT-11 that Wally Benton owned was a big, rectangular door, but not a cargo door.

Then again, I may have imagined all of this.

I still think that for fun it is hard to beat 10-way out of any airplane you can get.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

The small doors that were rounded top and bottom we called "knothole" Beeches. There were variations, first just squaring off the bottom, then a door with a squared-off top and bottom and wider than a knothole too, and then a cargo door. I jumped all four types. Mostly the AT-11 that Wally Benton owned was a big, rectangular door, but not a cargo door.

Then again, I may have imagined all of this.

No, that sounds exactly right on. Thanks for clarifying things....Steve1