mark

Rags vs cheap-o's

Also interchangeable in the pacific northwest in the 70's. "Rag" was probably more common, especially later. Lots of us jumped "gutted rags" because they were cheap, and low bulk. A gutted rag is a standard 28 foot surplus canopy from which the suspension lines in the radial seams were removed.

I am uniquely qualified to comment on use of the term "rag"

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

On the other hand I remember mostly "cheapo" in the late 70's in Texas and Massachusetts.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

On the other hand I remember mostly "cheapo" in the late 70's in Texas and Massachusetts.

Wendy W.

For those of us who have only been doing this for 10 years...What are you guys talking about?

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

28' flat circular canopies; the canopy of choice for students weighing less than about 180 lbs :ph34r:. Before the late 70's, there was a significant number of experienced jumpers using them, or at least a significant number of cheapskates once PCs (that would be paracommanders) became available used.

T10s (35' parabolic) were used for larger students, but not nearly as often for sport canopies for experienced jumpers. I don't remember a single experienced jumper with a T10, but I do remember a few with cheapos.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

For those of us who have only been doing this for 10 years...What are you guys talking about?

A "rag" or a "cheapo" was a military surplus chute, from airborne troop usage or from pilot bail-out rigs, adopted for civilian skydiving. They were much less expensive than a commercial parachute built specifically for sport skydiving.

Wendy W.

They were always "cheapos" up in Western NY from early '60's onward.

Agreed; they were called "cheapos" all throughout Upstate New York in the late 70s.

Surplus cheapo rigs really were the way to afford incredibly cheap gear back in the day. Pricewise, no real equivalent today, unless someone wants to unload their old Nova on you. :S

Surplus cheapo rigs really were the way to afford incredibly cheap gear back in the day. Pricewise, no real equivalent today, unless someone wants to unload their old Nova on you. :S

how much.....what colors ?????? :o)

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

how much.....what colors ?????? :o)

Jeebus.. I spose you are gonna jump it too;)

i got a PC for LP too.

Ive jumped stuff other people thru away.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Hi Mark,

To know where the term 'cheapo' comes from you have to go farther back than any commenter so far.

Back in the early-mid '60's there were really just two canopies for sport use, a 1.1 oz 'cheapo or a 1.6 oz Lo-Po. The '1.6' (as we called it) was just like a 1.1 (28 ft flat canopy) except that it was made of a 1.6 oz material that had been calendarized (flattened) in a pressing-type of procedure to reduce the porosity and to (hopefully) make it come down slower.

Hence, the 'Lo-Po' which derived the 'cheapo.'

School is out for today,

Jerry

A 7TU made from a C-9 28 foot flat military canopy.

See attachment

Bozo,

B-4 with a sleeved 7TU, chest mount container with a 24' flat, a Pioneer double zipper jumpsuit and a pair of French boots. The jumpsuit and the boots fit.

$125.00

(Gary Hatenswiller grounded the reserve)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have one of those in my garage right now...in beautiful shape. made my first several jumps on 7TU C9s...
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

The term 'Rag" probalbly originated with the fact that the military surplus canopies (cheapo) were often full of masking tape patches! Later on rip stop tape arrived to save the day. These patches were required due to the many holes, the old round canopies received from 'off' airport landings. Trees, fences, broken bottles, etc. Early modifications were made with a sharp knife or scissors and masking tape. This tape would only last for a few jumps and then the edges would start fraying= a rag looking appearance. Rags vs Cheapos? They were both military surplus that could be bought inexpensively.

Wow,

Gar Hat, now there's a named I haven't heard in years. Met him at Elsinore in '67.

I heard that (in those days) he bought a hand ripcord swager and paid for it within a month or so making ripcords for people who had functions and had to throw it away. No hand-deploy (thanks Bill) in those days.

Jerry

As I haven't seen any posts that go as far back as I do, I offer this as the original birth of the term "rag gore"

During the early 60's while in the USMC in North Carolina we made "cheap-o's" using two different methods.
One was to sew reinforcing tape completely around the modification in each modified gore. The second was to sew the reinforcing tape only across the top of the modification and leave the sides and bottom, along the suspencion lines and skirt without the reinforcing tape. The thought was that these wouldn't rip out because of the reinforcement already there. This proved to be correct, however the nylon canopy material that was left after the cutting of the modification would turn "raggy" after use. Hence the term "rag gore" was invented. With the help of a buddy I could turn out a completed sport rig in about two evenings. This included the modification, sleeve and D rings and sold for $15. The rig itself was free, courtsy of Uncle Sam,s supply system which discarded them after 7 years, used or not.

As I haven't seen any posts that go as far back as I do, I offer this as the original birth of the term "rag gore".

During the early 60's while in the USMC in North Carolina we modified canopies using two different methods.
One was to sew nylon reinforcing tape completely around each modification in each gore. The second was to sew the reinforcing tape only across the top of the modification and to leave the sides along the suspension lines and the bottom along the skirt without the tape. The thought was that these wouldn't fail due to the nylon reinforcing material already there. This proved to be correct, however the canopy material along the non-reinforced area would fray and become "raggy" looking, hence the term "rag gore" was born. A buddy & I could turn out a completed sport rig in about two evenings. This included the canopy modification, sleeve and D rings and sold for $15. The rig itself was free, due to Uncle Sam's supply system which discarded them used or not after 7 years.

A 7TU made from a C-9 28 foot flat military canopy.

See attachment

Bozo,

B-4 with a sleeved 7TU, chest mount container with a 24' flat, a Pioneer double zipper jumpsuit and a pair of French boots. The jumpsuit and the boots fit.

$125.00

(Gary Hatenswiller grounded the reserve)

Sparky, I had a rig and gear identical to yours. Many jumps back in the day on that rig.

This guy just blew up his ragged out 28 ft. canopy. I'm not sure which panel was blown out, but he ripped it from stem to stern and had to cut away. Gees, it feels good to be alive after doing something like that!.....Steve1