neilly

Urban myths in skydiving

Its not a myth but a question I get asked alot when recruiting is "What happens if both your parachutes fail?"

You're the first one to the ground;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

"What happens if both your parachutes fail?"

"Well, then it's not your day" is what I used to tell students. Not much you can say to that. Then I'd ask how many had ever had both their brakes and their emergency brakes fail, or knew anyone who had.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Its not a myth but a question I get asked alot when recruiting is "What happens if both your parachutes fail?"

I would have thought the answer was fairly obvious :P

Answer: Untie your shoes. Why you ask, because it gives you something to do before you bounce.

I was told just take one shoe off and shove it up your ass. The FAA will never figure it out B|

.-.

I would have thought the answer was fairly obvious :P

Answer: Untie your shoes. Why you ask, because it gives you something to do before you bounce.

I was told just take one shoe off and shove it up your ass. The FAA will never figure it out B|

:o:ph34r::D:ph34r::D:ph34r::D:ph34r::D:ph34r::D:ph34r::D:ph34r: :)

SO SO FUNNY - gonna have to let that one do the rounds. I just have the image of some poor FAI investigator with a shoe in one and and scratching his head with the other... they'd be on that one for weeks!!!:D

If you go through a cloud you'll drown.

----------
if you hit a cloud you might brake a bone
----------
how much altitude do you gain when opening the parachute ???
----------
if you fall too fast (from 300km/h), your body will heat up, your rig will melt, your clothes will start burning
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

If you go through a cloud you'll drown.

----------
if you hit a cloud you might brake a bone
----------
how much altitude do you gain when opening the parachute ???
----------
if you fall too fast (from 300km/h), your body will heat up, your rig will melt, your clothes will start burning

We have students ask us, why does it hurt when you hit rain, we tell them because you hit the sharp point of the water droplet first...cant believe how many of them believe this:ph34r::ph34r:

They also ask what happens when you hit a cloud, I have heard one of my instructors tell them we get up and jump off the edge...too funny

"Most of us can read the writing on the wall; we just assume it's
addressed to someone else!" Ivern Ball

16k ??? you might... but even at 21k ASL you still have enough oxygen... no need to release and pull lower.. well, you still have to be in a good enough respiratory condition... already did a hop n pop sunset beer jump at 15k, the only thing was it was a bit cold...

as you go up when the parachute deploys, is it high enough to open at 1m AGL ???
----------
Fumer tue, péter pue
-------------
ourson #10, Mosquito Uno, CBT 579

below 15,000ft you have indefinate "useful consciousness". Above that it is measured in minutes until you pass out. Eg at 21,000ft it is 8 minutes.

This isnt gonna be a problem in free fall but might be under canopy or in a plane thats slowly climbing to altitude. Remeber that many people are effected far more by this than the average person. There were threads on here a while back about a smoker who passed out at 14,000.

Thats why any jumps above 15,000 must take place with o2 in the plane and your not allowed to just dump out the door.

below 15,000ft you have indefinate "useful consciousness". Above that it is measured in minutes until you pass out. Eg at 21,000ft it is 8 minutes.

This isnt gonna be a problem in free fall but might be under canopy or in a plane thats slowly climbing to altitude. Remeber that many people are effected far more by this than the average person. There were threads on here a while back about a smoker who passed out at 14,000.

Thats why any jumps above 15,000 must take place with o2 in the plane and your not allowed to just dump out the door.

Jumps are made above 15,000 without O2 all the time. It is not smart but it is done.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

There's quite a few folks on most dropzones without much "useful consciousness" at ground level!

Something not exactly whuffo related, but why is it that it seems impossible to correctly spell the brand names of skydiving gear on for sale posters?

Javalin, stilleto, saber, specter, cypress, triatholon,vecter

Something not exactly whuffo related, but why is it that it seems impossible to correctly spell the brand names of skydiving gear on for sale posters?

Javalin, stilleto, saber, specter, cypress, triatholon,vecter

Cos all this skydiving kills our brain cells (the beer).

And I saw Cyprus for sale over the weekend for only £480. Nearly took the offer up ;)

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

Then I'd ask how many had ever had both their brakes and their emergency brakes fail, or knew anyone who had.

actually, thats a really good analogy. I'll have to remember that one.

The one I get asked most frequently is:
"What do you do if both of your parachutes won't open?"

I tell em, "Aim for my riggers car"

:P:D

MB 3528, RB 1182

Shit, if that's the case, I'm gonna grow gills and take up scuba diving!!!

Yeah, but you have to swim really fast ;)

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)