Jessica

Ow, my hands.

I don't know if this post belongs here exactly, but it seems like the best fit.
When I deploy, I'm doing something, not sure what, that sort of rips up my middle two fingers on both hands and the bottom of my palms. My guess is it's when I grab the risers as the canopy finishes deploying, but doesn't that seem weird?
I can't tell exactly what's happening because I don't have 100 percent recall of deployment. But as far as I can tell, I dump, get pulled upright, grab the risers, unstow the toggles once I can tell the canopy's good, then say OWTCH as I realize my fingers are hurt and kind of numb.
It's not a huge deal...I'm not really hurting myself or anything...I'm just kind of curious about what's going on.
Oh, and I never wear gloves. I live in Texas. ;)

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I have a situation close to that. I have a huge bruise about 2" below my right wrist that I notice gets bigger every time I land. I also notice that I grab the front risers as it's deploying. I think that may have something to do with it...

Here's my wild guess...
You are getting snapped by the risers as they are extending.
I know of a couple people who have experienced risers cracking against the side of their helmets. Women usually have narrower shoulders and it places the deploying riser closer to the head. Deploying in a poor body position may accentuate the problem...i.e. where the upper body drops at pull. Try bringing your feet up towards you butt when you pull. That should "sit you up" slightly and moderate the riser snap. You might want to experiment with a shorter set of risers. Again, it's a wild guess and 1/1-2 bottles of wine say's it plausable! Good Luck...
Hey, Rigger Rob might have the answer!
Skydiving is not a static excercise with discrete predictability...

You are getting snapped by the risers as they are extending.

That was going to be my guess, too. I've had one jumps where I think my fingers ended up inbetween the risers when they snapped tight. The snap caused my fingers to bleed from the cuticles... that was ugly.
Be carefull where you put your hands if you want to hold onto the risers during deployment.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

My bet is that you are getting slapped by the risers, happend to me once and it hurt like crazy. Dunno how good this advice is but here is what I do: after I deploy I make sure that my hands are not close to the risers, after I see the canopy trying to open (spectre = snivel) and after the slider comes down is when I take a hold of the rear risers and move my head to check the area (front, left, right, back) move with rear riser until clear and then I collapse the slider, take it down and unstow the brake, sounds like a lot of time but it happens really fast. The riser slap can be very hard.
"Life is full of danger, so why be afraid?"
drenaline

Jess, the other posts are probably correct. I've had fingers go numb, and the fingernail torn from grabbing the front risers during deployment. Find a different position for your hands on opening and that should solve your problem.
G. Jones
"Most people don't know what they're doing, and a lot of them are really good at it."

Sounds like risers slap.
John Sherman mentioned this during the 1982 CSPA AGM, although John was talking about slider slap, the solution is the same.
The solution is to keep your hands out to the sides for another couple of seconds.
I like to keep my hands near my rear risers during opening shock. Once I am slowed down, I look at my canopy. Then I grab my risers as I start looking around for other canopies.
Gloves also reduce finger damage.
Have you ever caught your hand between tandem risers during line twists? That hurts!

Hey Jess, for some info on perhaps saving your delicate digits..
go here , click on the 'back issues' button, and go to 'june '96' for an article by Pete Allum called 'control your deployment'.
It might help a little.......Its even got some pictures.......
Cya
D
GR# 37
Remember how lucky you are to see and touch the sky; the blind may only dream.

Try the rear risers, if at all.

Try the rear risers always.
At some time after you've deployed but before your canopy has reached full inflation and is flying, you should always get your hands on your rear risers just in case you need to steer clear of someone. Always.
Do not assume that just because you're deploying high with your camera that some folks won't come up to meet you.
I know that I've had to save myself at least a couple of times and the only thing that kept me from having a canopy collision was that I was already on the risers.
quade
http://futurecam.com

I'm not sure if this is a confession, or what, but every time i deploy, i wait. Period. I wait and watch my canopy doing it's thing, THEN i reach up for my toggles or my rear risers. On the issue of other jumpers in your area, i would say that is a whole other, more serious issue. I always make sure i am clear to deploy before hand (i.e. other jumpers are nowhere near). After i know it's all good to deploy, my number one priority is to ensure that i have a good canopy over my head...That falls under the "look before you touch" catergory. My canopy snivels for quite a while, so it is almost painful to keep my hands away from the risers and wait, but i do it anyway.

Allrighty folks.
Well, I'm not really willing to keep my hands away from the rear risers for that long unless there's another reason to do it, so I guess it's gloves or smashed hands.
The reason I don't wear gloves is because the ones I've tried have all made me really nervous. I currently own a pair of those football gloves, size small, and they're still way too big. Sometimes I have a hard time getting a finger through the toggle loop with them on.
Since keeping warm isn't the issue, I may look into getting some golf gloves for both hands. They're thin and tight-fitting, with a nice tacky grip, so those may work out for me.

Well, I'm not really willing to keep my hands away from the rear risers for that long unless there's another reason to do it, so I guess it's gloves or smashed hands.

Grabing the risers is definately a good thing... just be carefull where you put your fingers. Don't stick them in between the risers until they've already pulled tight. What I'll do frequently is just hold onto both (front and rear) risers with each hand. You can still steer by pulling both front and rear, then I'll transition to just the rear after the canopy is sorta kinda mostly open.
_Am
MSN Messenger: andrewdmetcalfe at hotmail dot com
AIM: andrewdmetcalfe
Yahoo IM: ametcalf_1999

OK I must be the only mutant here who actually goes for the risers during deployment. By that I mean that after I dump I put my hands, palms open and facing back, and catch the risers as they flip up. Only gotten cut a couple times when the canopy spun up and I caught my fingers between the twisted risers... ouch.
Still, I like having hold of the risers during as much of the opening sequence as I can. Then again, I could see my fingers getting broken if the risers spun up *really* bad. So maybe I need to break the habit before it breaks me. :P
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."

I may look into getting some golf gloves for both hands.

Jessica,
Franklin batting gloves, $14.95 the pair at Target. You can get them in Youth sizes which will fit you quite well. They are thin, tackified leather and perfect for skydiving.

Try the rear risers always.

Yes, of course. However, I was addressing a student skydiver with this thread (Iynx) and thought that perhaps grabbing at risers was a bit too much information to add to someone who's learning what "shape-spin-float" felt like. I know that I didn't grab at the rear risers while I was a student (of course, I learned under a -very- docile canopy (Goliath-378!) whilst being a student)

Do not assume that just because you're deploying high with your camera that some folks won't come up to meet you.
I know that I've had to save myself at least a couple of times and the only thing that kept me from having a canopy collision was that I was already on the risers.

Of course, I always do! As you've stated already here, I too have had to avoid other canopies flying at me on deployment. One skydiver in particular I've black listed and won't get on an L.O. load with him anymore. After I talked with him about his near deployment (and he denied that he -ever- could do that), I offered to show him the video. He still denied that it was -his- fault (even though as a cameraflyer I deployed in the center directly at break-off as planned). So...thus the black-listing. And he knows about it.
ltdiver
AFFI

I got two of those on my list now too... and I just started flying video! :)For deployment... I look up at the canopy in a snivel and put the arms straight out, once the slider is most the way down, its grabing the rear risers to flare it and canopy avoidence. Then slider. brakes, camera off, etc...
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

Everyone knows my newbiness. What I don't want to be is another one of the "men in black." What can I do so that I'm not one of them. I assume just do the proper tracking and always watch where I'm going and where other's are going?
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience?- well, that comes from poor judgement.

For deployment... I look up at the canopy in a snivel

Recommend -not- looking at your canopy on deployment. All it take is one slammer opening to keep you on the ground for a long time.
I know some very experienced cameraflyers who -do- look at their canopies on opening, and most of the time are ok. However, they have had 'neck-breaking' openings on rare occasions and have been grounded for weeks with an extremely sore neck.
I choose to -not- look at the opening, have had a few hard openings, and have been fine and able to continue jumping.
In fact, I've just decided to slow my Spectre-135 (loaded at 1.35:1) down a bit more!
btw, what canopy are you flying?
ltdiver
Physical Therapist and Cameraflyer