jumbo

equipment/training suggestion for a 300lb wannabe?

Are there any weight restrictions for skydiving? I'm guessing it depends on the canopy? But, I don't think anyone will train me using a cargo chute... Could I use a tandem to take lessons? I'm a pretty solid 310lbs so I don't think I'll be losing weight anytime soon. Any suggestions would be great.

You'll face several problems. You can indeed get a rig rated for your weight (there are harnesses and reserves rated to 500 lbs; your exit weight will be around 370 lbs.) However, they will be expensive. Expect to spend $6000-$7000 for what is essentially a tandem rig - and you will likely use it for only your first 20-50 jumps.

The second is training method. Tandem is out; you will overload just about every rig out there unless you can find a 100 lbs tandem master, and not too many 100 lb tandem masters will be willing to jump with a 310 lb guy. AFF will be tough since your fall rate will be beyond what most AFF JM's can deal with. Static line is a possibility if you can find a place that offers a traditional SL program.

So it's doable, but it will not be cheap or easy. Most programs limit students to 230-250 lbs. You'll have to either buy or otherwise beg/borrow a large rig and find a DZ willing to take you in their program.

Thanks for the input. Any idea how I can talk a DZ into teaching me. I'll buy the canopy and all the beer they can drink. I want to jump!!! If anybody knows where I can jump,I'd love to here from you.
Thanks again billvon
P.S. How about somebody starting a jump school for the "Big-Boned"? You could call it "The Freefall Fat-Farm."

My father-in-law just started jumping in an AFF program last month. He's 6' 8" and exit weight is about 310#. He is using an old tandem canopy.
225# was the tandem limit at the DZ so his 1st jump was an AFF. He loves it and is now moving on to get his "A" license. Don't let your size hold you back from enjoying the greatest sport on earth!
I was at Cleveland Parachute Center a couple weeks back for a boogie and and saw a big guy swoop & surf in on a very large canopy! Your gear shouldn't be any more costly than that of the lightweights. There are a lot of good deals out there on used tandem equiptment. Do the AFF route and don't sweat about gear. Blue skies!!!!
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

HHMMM. 310#'s. 550-310=240#'s. I'm 160#'s. 240-160=80#'s. 80#'s for gear and clothes, altimeter, jumpsuits, etc. I could do that (and have (tandem)) if I was still at sea level. AFF is another story. Controlling someone in freefall at those speeds that weighs that much is too much for me. Another factor is what kind of shape you are in.

Hook

I thought some systems were only rated for 525 pounds too....

By that math that would be 525-310=215-160=55 pounds for all the gear and equipment. Thats going to be pushing it since last time I weighed a Vector with a 384 it was about 48 pounds. Thats assuming that you can find a TM that weighs that little. Based on what I've seen of most TM's around the nation..... ;) thats going to be a hard task to fulfill.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

give

skydivesuffolk.com

a call and see if they will accomodate.
larry pennington is the dzo there and is a super guy.

they have 4 of our tandem canopies there and at least canopy wise will have no problem with your weight.

sincerely,

dan
atair aerodynamics
www.extremefly.com;)
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Jumbo,
since you listed no location in your profile, I am not sure which direction to point you. There are actually plenty of dropzones around the country that train "large" students. My dad owns a dropzone in Alabama and he uses retired MT1-XX Military Freefall rigs for large students. They are more than large enough for guys your size and are rated to over 350 pounds. As for SL or AFF, it's all up to the dropzone. Also, concerning tandem: I have jumped a guy six foot eight and 265 pounds with no problem and I know a guy at ASC who has jumped two people over 300 pounds. Yes, we are both "smallish" guys, but a competent TM will not give a shit how big or small the passenger on front is, so long as the rig is not overloaded.

Bottom line here is that you ought not give up your search; somebody will train you.

Chuck

> but a competent TM will not give a shit how big or small the
>passenger on front is, so long as the rig is not overloaded.

You're a better man than me, then - I stopped taking people who were significantly over my bidy weight after I almost blew out my knee landing a heavy, short woman with big hair (they're the worst.)

if you do a tandem, you are going to take a huge hit on opening! i was about 255 when i did my first tandem and i saw stars after opening. hooknswoop was my first tandem instructor and i do not remember a damn thing he said the first minute or so under canopy, other than, "these line twist really suck!" as for equipment, i talked to a guy named dave star at square1 and because of my weight, he wanted to sell me a modified military vector rig..........it was ugly as hell but he said it was the strongest(i did not buy it). i am no expert, i am just telling you about my experience researching big-boy skydiving equipment.:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

And people who don't have anything sensible to say should not post on this particular forum......

Nicely put SkyDekker - all should be welcome and all credit to the guy for trying to find a way into the skies when most would give up!

Actually since TK is the manager of one of the bigger and more popular DZ's in the States... I'd put a lot of value into what he is recommending. Its just hard on the equipment if you over load it. Not to mention expensive when you have to get a non production rig made thats TSO'd for the increased loading.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Its just hard on the equipment if you over load it. Not to mention expensive when you have to get a non production rig made thats TSO'd for the increased loading.

If you use a Military XX rig you won't have either of those problems. They are already made for that weight.

Vector Tandems are also about 5000-6000 for a used one compaired to 2000-4000 for a used sport rig. Also a Vector Tandem as your every day container SEVERLY limits the type of flying you can do. No Freeflying, in a formation I'd be Terrified to fly camera above it since it can release the drougue/PC very easly.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

How big would a rig need to be for a 300lb AFF guy? I noticed that PD makes up to a PD340 and a 281R. Would that still be too small? Obviously, it would be a lot cheaper than a tandem rig. I'm guessing that, no matter what, jumbo is going to have a somewhat restricted skydiving career, but it's certainly better to be able to jump in some form than to just sit on the ground, no?

The harness needs to be rated is the issue. The TSO most are under will only legally hold you at 255 pounds at 130 knots. You could overload it but that is severly stressing the gear and it could lead to a gear failure. Also the student has to be in gear limitations to jump at most DZ's. FEW rigs are rated above 255 pounds.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Few rigs are, but at least one popular rig is rated to hold our large wannabe jumper. In reality I guess he'd need to lose 25 pounds or so. This from the Sunpath website, click on 'news'.

Javelin & Javelin Odyssey now approved to TSO-C23d!!

The Javelin and Javelin Odyssey have recently been certified by the FAA for the highest TSO rating currently available: TSO C23d. The placarded limits will be max. gross exit weight of 300 lbs (136 kg) and a maximum deployment speed of 170 knots (198 mph or 330 kph). The actual test speed and weight were much higher: 360 lbs measured at 200 knots, proving the strength and integrity of the world’s most comfortable harness/container system.

An interesting fact: the highest single riser load measured during testing was in excess of 9000 lbs.

As part of the new TSO approval, the rigs will carry an orange warning label, indicating the approved weights and speeds. The Javelin and Javelin Odyssey are now available with the new TSO, approved for heavier weights at higher speeds.

"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.