LuckyMcSwervy

2010 Puerto Rico Boogie

I concur on the landing area at the dropzone, as well as the landing with the plane part. I landed there once, when they shut down the beach because of the surf and pounded it in pretty hard. Not saying that the pounding in part is the dropzone's fault, but landing there was very very sketchy. From the minute I saw that landing area, I pretty much classified it as my last resort out.

However, that being said, I think that they did the best that they could, and the beach landings pretty much made up for the shitty landing area at the dropzone. If you were landing at the beach, there was absolutely no reason to not do a crosswind landing, the winds never went over 10 miles an hour at the very most. It seemed that the people that pounded it in, landed in trees, or got dragged into the surf were the people that were overly focused on landing into the wind.

This was a great event. While the innitial organization could have been a little better, they did a good job bringing in organizers, keeping the planes running, getting the trolleys to pick us up from the beach, and organizing the parties. The only day the trolleys were an issue was Sunday, but I actually liked hitching rides from the locals, and never had an issue getting back to the dz.

I think overall this was an awesome boogie, and I can't wait until next year!

Are you referring to the area used for the kite festival? The one covered with kites, people, and cars on Saturday?

Yep, the west end of the runway covered in grass. It was closed for landing on Saturday because of a church activity, but I dont remember seeing anyone landing there the other 4 days.
The main landing area sucked, I agree there. What Im saying is that there were options and alternate landing areas, and people didnt use them. I made all my jumps on the beach except 1 were I choose to land on a close by field. I was offered a ride before I could pick up my canopy, and that was the case for everyone who landed out. Locals were fighting to give us rides and take pictures.

And thats all I have to say:)Thanks for coming down everyone and hope to see you next year!
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

There was a google earth map of the dz on the xtreme divers website go there and find the alternate landing areas. We were told that the landing area where all the locals were flying kites was not for us to land in. Obviously if it were an emergency I would but is ripping a jumpsuit or cuts and bruises an emergency? If it were everyone would have been landing in the kite field.

OK you say however they made up for the shitty dz landing area for the great beach landings, what about the a and b license holders that could not land there??? My girlfriend and many other low timers spent a lot of money in airfare hotel and registration. since no one wanted to land at the dz my girlfriend opted to not jump at all. We already paid the $55.00 reg fee. Since she wasnt jumping I did not jump as much as I would have and I went to the beach (not the worst alternative) but that is not the purpose of the trip. Yes I agree it is a great place to jump for beach jumps and c and d license holders, but everybody else got screwed.

I think you're right, I didn't even think about the A and B license holders. I thought it was great, but that's probably because all but one of my landings were on the beach. Quite honestly, I think the younger jumpers would have been safer and better off landing at the beach rather than the dz. Hopefully, next year the boogie will be organized a little better. I would have been pissed off too if I flew all the way to Puerto Rico thinking I could land on the beach only to be told that I had to land at one of the worst landing areas I've ever seen.

Hey
I have your bag. I'm Keila and I lived here inPR. Sorry that a have your bag but I think that I was in the same area that you have your stuff, and when I was getting all my stuff and my babys stuff together a get your bag to.
I was getting inside the hard drive, but I can't. So I come here and I found you yeiii. My email is [email protected] tell me where I can send you the bag.
Take care. Hope that you have fun in the boogie
...Blues Skies...
Keila
HISPA #80
"Enjoy the day like is the last one of your life"

Hey
I have your bag. I'm Keila and I lived here inPR. Sorry that a have your bag but I think that I was in the same area that you have your stuff, and when I was getting all my stuff and my babys stuff together a get your bag to.
I was getting inside the hard drive, but I can't. So I come here and I found you yeiii. My email is [email protected] tell me where I can send you the bag.

that is so wonderful! I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am that you found it and are an honest and nice person willing to return it!! thank you thank you thank you.
email is on the way...

Hey

that is so wonderful! I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am that you found it and are an honest and nice person willing to return it!! thank you thank you thank you.
email is on the way...

B|B|B|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Don't worry.. I would let you know when a sended

Keila, Im always shipping stuff and I live near the USPS air hangar so I dont mind taking care of the shipping if you find yourself to busy to do it. Some gopro mounts and a hard drive would fit perfectly in a USPS medium box worth $10.70 shipped.

Wow, you sure do bitch alot.

My turn:
I had to miss this boogie for the first time in years because of work issues. Jason, Viv, all the DZ members, and the locals are the nicest people you can have the pleasure of meeting, if you aren't a whiny asshole.

I live in WI and was doing CRW in zero temps landing on a frozen lake, loving life, and you wanna bitch about having to spend time with yer girlfriend in beautiful sunny warm PR on a beach?? Shut up! Then again, I don't know her.

Tell her to go jump more and get her c,d, and pro then you can both quit bitchin about what you 'deserve'. Where's my boogie bag, where's my refund, where's my ride, where's my purse???
Right where I left my tiny f*cking violin.

So you feel because you traveled & spent money, that weather, winds, trees, surf, responsibility, and common sense don't apply to you?

Grow up.

My biggest complaint about this boogie has been, and always will be, having to fly back into Chicago on the way home. Culture shock going from a beautiful island full of laid back beautiful people to a city full of assholes such as yourself.

Blue Skies all the same,
April
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

I had to miss this boogie for the first time in years because of work issues. Jason, Viv, all the DZ members, and the locals are the nicest people you can have the pleasure of meeting, if you aren't a whiny asshole.

The wingsuiters missed you and the rest of the CRW dogs, April. :)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Wow you have got some issues dont you Bitch! What's your problem with people from chicago?? I started out writing this expecting to get some negative feedback but not a personal attack. You cheese-head bitch. I have stated that the boogie had great weather and going to the beach was not such a bad alternative and that the boogie was a great place for c and d license holders but apparently you didnt read that. I never said anything bad about the owners of the dz or anything bad about the locals...other than too many in the parking area. The owners did not say that this was a boogie for experienced jumpers only. We saw the landing area before we came and knew it was probably going to suck. You were not even there. Read some of the other feedback and you'll see that many people have agreed with me and MY opinion. That's all it is, is my opinion. A politician can do something and 100 people see it one way and 100 others see it another...that is all their opinions. I am entitled to mine yet you are not entitled to yours because you were not even there. Everything you attack me on I didnt even say. You cannot however say anything about the shitty landing area. You cannot say anything about not getting a refund when the dz opted to land the plane with everyone aboard. It wasnt even me that did not get a refund it was another load that I wasnt even on. I did not receive the welcoming basket but it probably had alcohol in it and I dont drink...I didnt even want it , it was the principle of the matter. Obviously I did not have a purse stolen because I'm a guy. I wouldnt have minded if you attacked my opinions but you attacked me and my girlfriend. By the way stupid alot is not a word the correct way to write it is a lot...you sure do bitch a lot. I never bitched about spending time with my girlfriend on the beach, you continually put words in my mouth. I bitched about not being able to jump with her...why? because the landing area sucked. You cannot just get a c or d license over night. There were plenty of jumpers there from all over the country and probably even from all over the world with only a or b ratings . Are you going to tell them to jump more to get there c and d licenses?? Just so they can avoid landing at their shitty landing area? (some of us have jobs) you probably will. April from wisconsin says dont go to puerto rico unless you have a c or d license and if your purse gets stolen right from the dz dont worry about it everyone is nice. I hope you are not the typical wisconsin representative. Does your state know you are representing them in a Cant Understand Normal Thinking kind of way??? Wow I am glad you werent there. Maybe doing CRW in below zero weather has frozen your tiny brain (goes with tiny violin) and your giant *ss. By the way it was a great Boogie when it was in Arecibo but then again you wouldnt understand that it wasnt that good this year because...what was that again...oh yeah YOU WERENT EVEN THERE!!! So to cap this all off, The people of PR are fine I didnt meet too many of them, I am sure the owners of the DZ are fine, I didnt meet them, The weather is great and the beach is great. This years boogie was great for c and d license holders but not good for a and b license holders beacause they had to land in a shitty area. Had anyone been informed of this it would have been better. Even though I knew beforehand that the landing area was going to suck I went anyway...that's because there are beaches there and ocean and warm weather and this bitch from wisconsin wasnt there either. I am not ticked off in any way, I am not even taking this too seriously however I did want to warn the low time jumpers that unless they take care of things down there it might not be the boogie for you. And watch your purses from those friendly Pr people. Scott is looking out for you but remember April from wisconsin is not. If she is going to be there next year I will not attend. Take your tiny f*cking violin and shove it up your *ss. I wasnt looking for pity just informing people. By the way winds are weather and no I am not exempt from them...same as gravity. If I had a forrest in my landing area or on my runway I would remove them. So, basically this April bitch from wisconsin has called everyone in chicago an *sshole, just remember when you are traveling through our great city full of *ssholes you look like the sh*t passing through. Blue skies to all skydivers, including all the a and b license holders, but not Ape-ril from wisconsin. Wew! that was fun Hoo Hoo!!!

The next person who writes a personal attack is going to get a nice break from the forum and get the thread locked.

Don't make me work on a weekend. :P

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

At the risk of getting several replies to my post I am going to state the puerto rico boogie as I saw it. The runway was just adequate and the landing area really sucked. Just ask the many people with broken bones and ripped jump suits cuts and bruises. The DZ was thrown together last minute and the landing area was gravel and hard dirt and not large enough for most a and b license holders. Most, if not all, did not want to land at the dz. The beach was my choice and I had no problems, however when the low time jumpers started crashing they closed it down to all, even the pro and d license holders. The winds were cross winds for the entire boogie so most people, trained to land into the wind, tried landing at the dz and on the beach heading into the trees (at both landing areas). The planes should have been shut down and everyone told not to land into the wind at either landing area and to land crosswind. If you cannot do a crosswind landing, then dont jump. Then fire the planes back up again. At the dz if you landed short (into the wind like most did) you were on the runway. If you went long you ended up in the trees, (same at both landing areas.) If you were going long, I saw a lot of people stop flaring to avoid the landing flair (swoop) into the trees, thus pounding in...on gravel. I saw people doing the same on the beach however if you did come up short you were in the ocean. I personally saw two people land just beyond the water triumphantly, and then their canopy fell behind them into the surf and then the receding water dragged them in. In this case they should have cut away and then grabbed their canopy by the fabric from behind and easily pulled it out of the water. They did not do this and they had several spectators try and drag a 400 pound canopy full of water out by the lines. They fought the surf and the skydiver was dragged in and out several times. Probably a ripped canopy. I know three girls that went to help a skydiver who had their canopy caught in the trees on the dz. When they returned their purses were gone...bad security. The trolly did not run all the time and you had to find your own ride back from the beach. This wouldnt be so bad but you never knew when the trolly wasnt running and when to arrange for your own ride. The area for the dz was shared with some sort of park for locals so there were too many non skydivers taking up all the parking and creating a 15 minute drive out the short drive to get out of the dz with really messed up parking. This will probably end up being the permanent DZ for xtreme divers and it will be great for a cessna and 25 jumpers 4 or 5 at a time. It is not equipped for a boogie at this moment. The owners will have to do a lot of work to make it boogie caliber...lets hope they dont wait til last minute for 2011. My girlfriend with 63 jumps could not jump the safer beach landing area (c license or better) and did not want to land at the small gravel dz landing area. She did not get any jumps in. We did not get a welcome bag this year or last year. If you went up with the plane and for some reason had to come down you did not get a refund. I would really love to support any skydiving related function but this one made it difficult.

Hi Scott, this is Viviana, one of the organizers's for the PR boogie also a provider for Rook Nelson's Winter money maker and you are one of his employee's and you want to put our event down because we took the necessary precautions with the novice? I understand everyone can HAVE opions and you have made yours very clear. Obviously your "new Skydiving Girlfriend" (as you stated you came last year) with 68 jumps was not qualified to do beach jumps based on our ocean and the wind conditions on the boogie dates. Forget what the USPA says and other Beach Boogie events....Being the DZ Manager, a Girlfriend of a DZO and a low jumper at one point; he made the decisions for me but his jumping didn't conflict/prevent him from jumping. All organizers, with more experience than you made decisions based on the water condition coming into the landing area and wind conditions. The ocean at this beach is very rough and decistions were made constantly. If you had yours, you should have come to the manifest table.

You talk about the Goody bag which was never promised but seemed this was so important to you! You forget to mention ALL the positive things about our event, HAVING free beer nightly, a Free Rums
of PR party on friday night; and a Saturday beach party w/ catering, free beer and shots. All this included on our registratoin of $55.00. I wonder if you really appreciate like MOST people do, retruning and thanking us regardless if we make money on this event or not... Thank you for coming for the second time, we are a very well organized Company that has gone through some political changes...and we hope to do better every year as an aspect of the event. I will never leave the organization part for the last minute as you have mentioned!
Blue Skies
Viviana De Jesus
[email protected]

Vivianna, First off what my opinions are have nothing to do with Rook, they are my opinions based on my skydiving experience. For you to insinuate that Rooks future "winter money maker" would be in jeopardy because of my opinions is completely unprofessional. I have stated in several posts that the weather is great and the boogie is great for the very experienced skydiver. My two skydives were awesome and the beach landings were great...for me. Some of the posts were removed by skymama because of some personal attacks on myself and on my girlfriend in which I replied very aggressively in a personal matter. Yes skymama should have reacted the way she did. My complaint stated the obvious. The main complaint was a bad, and in my opinion, dangerous landing area for the novice. I know a lot of novices at the boogie that did not jump because of the landing area at the dz. Had more novices jumped at your safe dz landing area there would have been more injuries. So I do disagree with your philosophy of protecting the novice. I know there were multiple landings on the beach by people that did not have a c or higher rating. Also I am not such a jerk boyfriend to leave my girlfriend sitting idle while I have a great time funjumping during valentines weekend. I stated that everyone was nice and the main complaint was that the landing area was inadequate for the low timers. There were too many injuries at the dz. Beach jumps are made at the skydivers discretion so I wasnt really speaking about the beach landings. Neither my girlfriend or I drink so I really dont care about the free alcohol and if you read one of the latter posts I didnt even really want the welcome basket it was the principle. If something is advertised it should be provided or some logical explanation as to why it cant/wont be provided. Two years in a row nothing was stated to us as to why others received something and we didnt. We paid $55.00 each plus my two jumps for a total of $160.00 for only two jumps. I would never have asked for a refund for my girlfriends reg. fee because that was not the real complaint. This was first and foremost a skydiving trip, not a beach vacation, not a sightseeing tour and not a resort escape and I also want to include not a drinkfest. I must say that with the great weather all the aforementioned alternatives were great but again it was not the purpose of the trip. For this to have been a successful skydiving trip a better landing area would have made all the difference. My complaint was not even for myself but for all low timers. Any dropzone has the right to stop jumping as a result of weather, waves, tide etc. I was told on the one occasion that the beach was closing because too many people were pounding in. Whether that is correct I dont know but it came from a reliable source.This was never the complaint. I am from the midwest and I know we all want everything too quickly and some of us can be uptight about it. Puerto Rico seems very laidback and take your time...it'll get done. When it doesnt get done I know I am one of the first to ask why was everything last minute. I am not bitter at the dropzone its owners or affiliates or the puerto ricans. There is such thing as constructive critisism. Had there been a better landing area at the dz We would love to come back. While I was on the subject I brought up other points of concern, agree with them or fight them that is your perogative. I never made it personal and I really dont mind if others come at me personally. I will defend myself though.

Viv and Jason,
You guys rock. You made the boogie happen under extremely difficult issues. Based on the number of people that came in 2009, you made the right call bringing in a third otter. Who could have guest that a winter storm in the states would prevent so many people from making the trip. It's always a crap shoot with boogies no matter how much planning you make. I'm glad we did not have to go to the grass/woods airport in Vega Baja. From what I saw from the air, it would have been tricky. My hat off to Jason and your local guys for getting the airport in the shape you did in only 8 days. I am impressed. I know you guys are working hard on making the new area bigger and more boogie friendly for 2011. Loved the beach set up. As always your staff was top notch.
I know you guys had to go into the red on this one and I hope my free organizer fee helps out.
Hang in there, good things come to good people.

Blue Skies
Guy Wright, organizer

PS: Father is well, thanks to all who were concerned.

I personally had a blast! I'll be coming next year for sure. The dz landing area wasnt the greatest but given the short time frame to get it together I was more than understanding and it was certainly better than the boogie being cancelled. Low or high jump numbers we should all have an understanding of our limits and if you are unsure about winds, don't jump or at least stand by and watch how others are landing before you throw yourself on a load. I did a hop n pop into the beach on Sat. by myself and when I got back to the dz recommended that beach landings be put off till the surf came down, which they were. I didn't have a problem with the cross wind into a tight area but recommended it based on an entire otter load trying to land there. I then sat for awhile that day because I didn't like the combination of conditions. I'm sure things will be improved next year and I'd like to thank the staff for making it happen this year! You all put in a lot of hard work and time just to make it happen.