Ducky

How many Hop n Pops?

I was talking to someone about the new requirements for licenses effective in September ie. 500 jumps for D etc. They suggested that I perhaps make it my goal to squeeze in the 200 before then so I would already have my D.

The suggestion was to just load up on Hop n Pops to help build the numbers as I satisfied other requirements. So now I am curious.

How many HnPs the average jumper has? I guess it would be better to go by %. For me at 63 jumps I have 4 which works out to ~15%. How about you all??
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

My thoughts on the license requirement change is why rush. Having a D License is not the greatest thrill there is. If you have 300 hop and pops but you don't know how to fly your body what does that say? Stick to learning and getting the most from each jump. Don't rush, but learn. A license does not impress many people. How you can fly does though. Occasional hop and pops are fun. But not worth just doing them to have a license. Just my thoughts.

I think it depends on where you learned and what type of canopy you jump. My first few hundred were at a C-182 DZ, cloudy day, no problem, stick the tail in the ceiling and if it's above 2 grand we go. Of course it was a fairly fast opening canopy, and all. A turbine DZ doesn't do many low lobs in my experience YMMV.

As far as whether or not to do it I can form my own opinion and already have actually. It juts got me thinking about others. I would consider a HnP below 4.5k I suppose.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

Umm so again I ask peeps what % of their logged jumps are Hop n Pops???

kwak

30 or so out of 450... so about 6%

I like them but getting to do them out of Turbines I usually have to hop loads with jumpers doing their low solo or head to a 182 DZ. Seeing the look on people faces as you leave from 4000 in a full layout flip and hold the tucked flip for 8 seconds is priceless on a turbine DZ.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

If you have 300 hop and pops but you don't know how to fly your body what does that say?

On the other hand . . .

Hop-n-pops are a great way to learn exit stability and allow a person to concentrate on other things -- like landings. Less expensive too. ;) I did a LOT of hop-n-pops last year practicing for a Pro Rating.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I suppose I should alsoe mention that all 4 of mine were w/o option. Given the option I think most anyone would take the Alti. 1-required for A-lic. 3-sameday due to bad weather, we jumped insleet n snow.

kwak

A 'd' licence used to be called a "Master" licence.

It currently is the highest licence the USPA has.

I just got my 'd', I've got 400 jumps. I waited until I could nail accuracy under a high performance canopy, and could fly with varying degrees of talent in any position. I've done 40 way RW jumps, 12 way freefly jumps, lots of high altitude jumps, lots of low altitude jumps. I can hit a 2 meter target under a Stiletto loaded at 1.6. I feel just as comfortable walking onto a Roger Ponce big-way as I do taking someone out who's just off student status. I'm not trying to blow my own horn - I'm trying to explain why I waited until I had twice as many jumps as was required.

Having a 'd' licence is meaningless if people think you suck. Don't rush, take your time, and get it when you think you've earned it.

To answer your question, of 400 jumps I have maybe 40 hop and pops. They're fun on their own right, make canopy practice cheap, and are a good solution for low clouds.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Hop-n-pops are a great way to learn exit stability and allow a person to concentrate on other things -- like landings.

That's how I've always felt. About 50% of my 800 jumps have been hop & pops, most from 12,500 or thereabouts. Reasons for deploying right out the door include: Learning a new canopy, doing CReW, practicing maneuvers up high, cross country flying, sightseeing, landing last so that I know there will be no other canopy traffic (this allows me to make whatever approach I wish on the landing area...) :)
While my canopy flying skills have improved dramatically as a result of these hop & pops... I did a few RW jumps on Sunday and I was completely outdone in the RW skills department by a 100-jump wonder. It was still lots of fun, but I realized how much practice I need with belly flying. *shrug* It's all a big tradeoff. :P

Chris

% of my jumps that are Hop and Packs? About 0.3%. As a general rule I can't stand them. 8 seconds of freefall followed by a pack job. If thats all you can get I guess they are cool for a change of pace. But I enjoy the freefall. If I want to play under canopy, I'll dump high and play with canopy all day.

I agree with Andy, no rush on the D requirements. I took my D test at 200, the inspector lost the test and I never bothered to retake the test until 400 jumps. It don't mean much. I can still fuck up any RW dive I'm on, biff a perfect landing, and freeflop with the best of them. You got the rest of your life to get good at something in this sport. So long as everybody lands safe and had fun, its all good for me.
JJ
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Me? Arrogant? I've NEVER been accused of that!:)

I'm the first to admit - the fact that I feel comfortable doing it has NO bearing on wether I SHOULD be doing it... :S

Seriously though, I do supose that when Roger Ponce shows up at Chicagoland it's a bit different then when he shows up at Eloy...

_Am

__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Ducky no rush, remember that you need freefall time too.

Hop n pops are good for canopy control, cause there is no freefall involved so you are fully concentrated on the canopy.

Since you have the C you can work for your couch ratings (skydive U and USPA or freeflying).

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

Without the aid of my logbook I'd say about 40% to 50% of my jumps.

On my DZ I often get the choice (while wait to go on a high load) to make a h&p from 3.000/4.000 ft to help fill up a cessna load of S/L students.
h&p's are fun..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Not much point in doing them for the sake of it. You probably wouldn't get many more in than if you go up to altitude anyway. I did quite a few during 4 years as a static line instructor (as the students like to see you jump as well as them) and now do about 50 a year (mainly CRW jumps).
Do a few to gain the confidence of knowing that you can do them when you need to (low cloud base etc.) and get the license when the time comes.

Not much point in doing them for the sake of it. You probably wouldn't get many more in than if you go up to altitude anyway.

My home DZ has a bit of a problem with altitude sometimes (due to heavy traffic from Schiphol Airport).
We usualy have two planes flying, one is constantly trying to get up ahap, while the otherone does load after load from 4.000 to 6000 ft.

Waiting for a higher turbine load can sometimes take quite a while, while there is virtualy no waiting time for a low hop out of the airplane....and 10 seconds of freefall is still anough to have a lot of fun and try a few crazy exits...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?