OuterFocker1

Goodbye CSS... Hello new Raleigh DZ

Melissa and Keith were initially devastated by the closing of CSS. We have spent every weekend there for the past 3 1/2 years. We did everything we could to keep the DZ alive, and support the growth of the sport. We will not abandon this mission just because Paul and Nancy are retiring. The energy continues and grows daily.

As we write this, there is a group of empowered CSS'ers that are taking the ball and running. A new DZ will open, and it will happen soon. It may be a few weeks or months, but we will all jump together again soon in the triangle area!

We love our family from CSS, and everyone else that visited and jumped with us. The future is bright.... we will build a better DZ, No Doubt :) Stay tuned!

Love, and blue skies, the Flying Majeroni's
~ Melissa ~
"Life is too short to walk the same cautious path as everyone else."

keep me informed i was planning my first trip to CSS in a few weeks but now that can not happen, so keep me informed on the new place so i can go there --- will it be the same great planes i have been lucky enough to jump at boogies here and there?

blue skies!!!

the condemned convict climbs the highest peaks without fear

I know I'm not the most dedicated jumper at CSS, but I do my fair share of emailing :)

I'm just going to say this:

It is imperative to get John Lyman into the new DZ. He has been the integral part of nearly all of the jumpers who licensed at CSS in the last 5+ years.

Gear store + rigging + packing + AFF/IAF + tandem + organizing

He's working at Butler Parachute in Roanoke now, but I think he'd be willing to come back if he knew the DZ was under new management. He still has a house up in Franklinton.

Let me know what I can do to tell move any of this along. I would HIGHLY recommend some marketing to locals. UNC's fiasco this past weekend is proof that we need some CSS demo jumpers at these games (I can tell the difference btw UNC and dook from the air, can you?)

I understand that I'm looking at this on a surface level right now, so please someone kick off the roundtable so we can all add our collective knowledge on HOW THE HELL TO GET TO JUMP WITHOUT DRIVING TO G.D. RAEFORD!

Ben Bibb
Bibb

This was quite the topic of discussion around the DZ over the weekend. You are all welcome at Raeford until this thing gets off the ground. It would be great to have you guys. See you out there.

D
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

I know I'm not the most dedicated jumper at CSS, but I do my fair share of emailing :)

I'm just going to say this:

It is imperative to get John Lyman into the new DZ. He has been the integral part of nearly all of the jumpers who licensed at CSS in the last 5+ years.

Gear store + rigging + packing + AFF/IAF + tandem + organizing

He's working at Butler Parachute in Roanoke now, but I think he'd be willing to come back if he knew the DZ was under new management. He still has a house up in Franklinton.

Let me know what I can do to tell move any of this along. I would HIGHLY recommend some marketing to locals. UNC's fiasco this past weekend is proof that we need some CSS demo jumpers at these games (I can tell the difference btw UNC and dook from the air, can you?)

I understand that I'm looking at this on a surface level right now, so please someone kick off the roundtable so we can all add our collective knowledge on HOW THE HELL TO GET TO JUMP WITHOUT DRIVING TO G.D. RAEFORD!

Ben Bibb

Dawn here.

Excellent post - Lyman is working for Butler - also doing tandems and AFF at Jonesville. The man NEEDS to jump/instruct/organize .... because this is his purpose in life. I don't think anyone would question how much he's brought to the sport. It's simply what he does & who he is :)
For the record I'm still rigging at CSS, and am living in that Frankinton house. Downwind NC is still the full-service loft it's always been, and I actually get Lyman down here to help me out from time to time B|

My customers are extremely important to me, and I won't stop taking care of you guys .... even if that eventually consists of referring you to other riggers I trust in the area.

Best,
Dawn

Pasted below is a brief announcement about Dawn, myself and Downwind that I sent out on my newsletter mailing list.

Hey kids, so, there has been some high drama lately in regards to CSS.

For those not aware, after 35 years in business the dz closed last weekend for good as far as civilian operations are concerned. Prior to that I had already accepted and started a position with a Va. based parachute manufacturer and presently reside in Roanoke Va. Dawn is still watching our house and two dogs in Franklinton while we work on re-financing as well as where things go from here.

For the time being she is still actively rigging as before, the loft has not closed for business and is still located at CSS. However, since she is not always there it is highly recommended that anyone needing her services contact her first at the information listed below.

Dawn Larsen FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
cell phone 919-497-6442
loft phone 919-340-0044
email [email protected]

We have discussed briefly the situation with the actual owner of the loft, Billy Bradshaw, who is located at his main store and loft in Lake Wales, where we go from here. Billy is as shocked and blindsided by this as we have been so we're not absolutely sure. In the more than 8 years we have worked for Billy running his loft and gear store he has been incredibly patient and generous and we sincerely thank him for all he is done. It is our sincere hope that the owners of Fayard enterprises will allow the loft at least to continue operation, at least for the time being, to enable Dawn to pay bills, not the least of which is our mortgage payment. Given the recent events in the housing market, I do not have to tell anyone how very scary this present situation is for us both, especially with no notice to get affairs in order. We would both greatly appreciate, and have for the last 8 1/2 years, your continued support in using us for your rigging needs. My situation here in Va. will not allow me to be of much service but could still come back on weekends since I am only 4 hours away. I would like to re-emphasise the necessity to contact Dawn first, she is only 15 mins away from the airport. We have already had at least one instance of someone needing her and showing up without knowing the situation and being turned away.

As for myself, I have spent the last three saturdays at adrenaline air sports/carolina skydiving in Jonesville, NC which is the nearest DZ to me. I've been helping with AFF and Tandem students and have known the owner Billy Cockrell since my time in Florida. My decision to make this move was driven by several different factors which I will not discuss here.

Again, your continued support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your friendship and your business.

John Lyman
[email protected]
FAA Master Parachute Rigger 3291510SOY
USPA AFF/TDM/PRO

That's not true. You can be used as a bad example.

Exactly. And when you're trying to convince an airport and a county that a DZ won't be a big impact but will bring in added revenue, the last thing you need around is a guy like me, until the lease is signed. :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

That's not true. You can be used as a bad example.

Exactly. And when you're trying to convince an airport and a county that a DZ won't be a big impact but will bring in added revenue, the last thing you need around is a guy like me, until the lease is signed. :P

You're that guy my mom always warned me about. So see?! You really are useful. It pisses her off something fierce that I didn't heed her warnings about staying away from "that Kinda guy"
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

You're that guy my mom always warned me about. So see?! You really are useful. It pisses her off something fierce that I didn't heed her warnings about staying away from "that Kinda guy"

Why you dissin' Streaker like that? >:(
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Why you dissin' Streaker like that? >:(

Funny story. My mom died a couple of weeks ago. But while she was laying in the hospital, they were asking her if she could name my sisters. She couldn't come up with their names, and she kept calling me by her deceased sisters name, but when Streaker walked thru the door she sat right up and called HIM by name. He gets all the girls.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

I just found out today that CSS closed.:( Although I'm not out there every weekend, it was very convenient since I only live 19 miles away. At least there still may be hope! After I found out I thought of selling my rig and leaving the sport. Not into driving 2 hours or so. Let's get this new DZ going!!