jacketsdb23

Lost Prairie Boogie - Separate Landing Area's?

Let me first state that I love this boogie! Last year was my first year...BUT...

This may be way pre-mature, and not even posted in the correct category, however...in light of the past 4 months of canopy collisions and near misses resulting in fatalities at large boogies are there any indications that landing area's will be segregated at LP's 40th anniversary this year? {PLENTY of space to do so} Or are HP landings going to be restricted in any way?

I don't recall any collisions last year, but I can certainly say that I sat down a couple days (enjoying some fine Skydiver Blonde) because I was getting cut off left and right. Just a thought as I know this will be the next major boogie I attend. I know Fred is on here somewhere!
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

DUDE.... we so can not talk about Lost Prairie for 8 more days.... since it was moved to the Events Forum Andrea will be along any moment to lock us out.

More than 4 months is FAR too much for the Mods to have to moderate a thread.[:/]

If you're done being snippy, someone is allowed to ask a question (I left a Skyquest thread open), but when the question is answered, I expect the thread to die away instead of continually being bumped. If you actually know the answer to this question, by all means, answer. :S
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

At LP, I find it's not so much the HP landings that contribute to the chaos in that landing area - IMHO, stronger pattern enforcement would be the best positive change that could be made at LP. There always seems to be people landing every which direction, crossing paths, etc., even on straight-in approaches. My first year there (2005) there seemed to be more noise on the PA about stupid skydiver tricks and reminders of the rules than there was last year.

The nice thing about LP is that the landing area is large enough that it's easy to stay out of traffic, you just have to get used to a longer walk in that warm Montana sunshine.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Let me assure everyone that we are brainstorming to come up with a workable solution. I wish that separate landing areas was the easy answer but it will not eliminate all the possibilities. If you have any suggestions, I'm ready to listen.

"We all used to be immortal; but then, we turned 3 years old." (anonymous)
www.SkydiveLostPrairie.com

Thanks for being open to suggestions. I know there is no easy answer but if there is a better option out there, maybe there is enough experience here to find it. The landing area is big enough that maybe even separation is not needed. There is always the option for anyone to land out in the corner of the field. This might be the simplest answer. What I was hoping for was discussion, and that is happening. Thanks.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Wow.
(Not aimed at the original poster)
Why is it so difficult for organizers to simply say:

"No hook turns in the pattern to the main landing area during normal operations?

This is a major boogie, attracting hundreds of skydivers from all over, of various (or dubious) experience, many of whom have not flown together, and are in an unfamiliar environment. HP landings have absolutely no place in this equation.Proper pattern education for the boogie should be mandatory, and then enforce it! Three strikes. Warning, grounding, expulsion. Fly your big, fat 240 student canopy opposite direction of the rest of the load on final, same penalty. If HP landings are requested, do a dedicated load, and/or set up an alternate landing area.

The last two big dz.com boogies have been tragic. Don't make it three out of three. Shit happens, but senseless, avoidable fatalities like the these are, well, senseless and avoidable!

Let me assure everyone that we are brainstorming to come up with a workable solution. I wish that separate landing areas was the easy answer but it will not eliminate all the possibilities. If you have any suggestions, I'm ready to listen.

"We all used to be immortal; but then, we turned 3 years old." (anonymous)

How about . . .

Windblades by some manufacturers and a few courses set up?

A Baseball Diamond Marker - or a painted outline and instructions to try to stay clear of this area if possible.

And with the next suggestion - take for granted that I could have had a more thourough explination had I wanted to seek one out.;)
. . . better mandatory training / Safety briefing . . . that said . . . I know it would be difficult with so many there . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

My two cents, given it's after several glasses of Zinfandel, (mine). I like to swoop my Spectre, looks cool, image is everything, but NO HOOK TURNS (read "anything more than a 90 degree turn) LOST PRAIRIE IS BIGGER THAN YOU ARE!!!!

Leave your swoops at home and come enjoy the 40th, safely.

madjohn

PS sorry to all you hot kids out there (Q), but given what's been happening this year, it's time to go retro, mellow, old school. When YOU"RE over 40, you'll understand. Trust us.
We're still skydiving.

Main goals in life: Be on the "Jumpers Over Eighty" (JOE) World Record and attend the Lost Prairie Boogie once after I'm gone.

My two cents...

I love LP. The place, the people, the beer... what's not to love? But in the two years I've attended the boogie I've only done 3 jumps total. Why?

Because landing there is scary. Limit people to 90 degree turns to final and it will still scare me. It's not the swoopers that scare me; from what I've seen watching loads land from up on the hill there aren't that many swoopers showing up anyway. It's the folks who don't fly any sort of pattern at all and the folks who chase the wind sock because they are afraid to land "crosswind" (like it really matters when the winds are blowing 1-2) that have kept me on the ground at LP.

Instead of banning turns greater than 90 degrees, how about insisting that everybody fly a recognizable pattern?

In my opinion anything over a 90 and you are done for the day. Do it again and you are done for the boogie.

But since I do not swoop this is an easy solution for me. Would not being able to do big dramatic swoops detour some people form coming?
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th

I called Fred yesterday...we have a simple solution.

Doak and I will be in the LZ with hockey sticks...beatings will be given on first offenses!!!!!!!B|>:(

One thing that would improve safety is everyone showing up CURRENT!

I'll help you in another way.

Do something stupid in the LZ ... NO BOOBIES FOR YOU!

;) :D:D
'Shell

I agree with the chaos that was there. Last year was my first time as well, not the last though. And it was extremely chaotic coming for landing. I like shell's idea or the hockey sticks as well

The Sky's not the limit, the ground is. Fear Nothing, Regret Less.

My two cents, given it's after several glasses of Zinfandel, (mine). I like to swoop my Spectre, looks cool, image is everything, but NO HOOK TURNS (read "anything more than a 90 degree turn) LOST PRAIRIE IS BIGGER THAN YOU ARE!!!!

madjohn

PS sorry to all you hot kids out there (Q), but given what's been happening this year, it's time to go retro, mellow, old school. When YOU"RE over 40, you'll understand. Trust us.
We're still skydiving.

I don't think we have to set any rules. There aren't many veterans who swoop at LP, and all the first timers will fuck themselves up on concrete cow pies at 2400' within their first day or two and rid us of the problem of them anyhow.

Blues,
Dave

(And if you don't know me, the above was joking. It is fun to watch first timers tumble all over the place though, and carry in a variety of grass, dirt, and cowshit. :D And yes, I was one of them several years ago. :$)
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

madjohn

We're still skydiving.

I don't think we have to set any rules. There aren't many veterans who swoop at LP, and all the first timers will fuck themselves up on concrete cow pies at 2400' within their first day or two and rid us of the problem of them anyhow.

Blues,
Dave

(And if you don't know me, the above was joking. It is fun to watch first timers tumble all over the place though, and carry in a variety of grass, dirt, and cowshit. :D And yes, I was one of them several years ago. :$)

Or landing half a mile away in someone elses field.... :o

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?