RSG

Quiting SKYDIVING

Hi all

I hold about 200 jumps
Yesterday I jumped with my camera as always
I was videoing an AFF 1st level
I had the most horrible hard opening
I screamed so lowed, that most of the load heard me
Even on the camera you can hear me screaming, the camera stopped recording on the opening, I think from the impact

To make it short my nick was killing me
Went to the hospital, made an MRI scan, I did saw 5 & 6 section on the spinal fraction. The doctor giving me a nick holder, He told me to ware it for the next 6 weeks,

And he advised me not to jump for the rest of my life.

I am really sad because of that, but I can't do a thing about it.

Blue sky's you all

And he advised me not to jump for the rest of my life

Get a second opinion.

Some doctors don't have a clue about our sport and the stresses that are applied to the body.

If you find yourself still in the sport, get something like a Sprectre for the openings.

I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Get a second opinion.

Definitely get a second opinion. You may not jump your camera again, but with good rehab you can get back in the air. Insist on physical therapy; it will make all the difference.

I hope the doc gave you some good pain pills. ;) Hang in there.

Why Sprectre?

I often joke that when jumping a Spectre (sorry, I mistyped on the previous post), you could quite possibly snivel to your death. Of course thats a joke, but the point is, they can open very very nice and very soft.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Spectres have nice slow opening characteristics, and you might be able to jump a camera again. Think sidemount, lightweight helmets, and the principle of moments.
But I would definitely get a second opinion, maybe after a short lay off.....I've done over 600 hundred jumps since a saw bones quack snake oil seller told me I'd never be able to jump again.

Even if you take a healing time out, you can keep your interest in the game up, learn rigging, video editing etc etc...
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Agreeing with these and just adding that that injury should put you out of the sport. If you heal completely, you can jump whatever you want. Though, a Spectre is probably the best canopy for your situation and experience. Smooth openings and a performance envelope that should satisfy you for at least a few hundred more jumps.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Hi. No need to quit. I'm still jumping. But you need to be very smart now and over the next few months if you want to avoid lifelong problems. In addition to the fracture (which will heal), you might also have strained most tendons, fibres and muscles in the neck- and upper back area, similar to a "whiplash-injury", but much more serious. This might cause lifelong problems, i.e., daily headaches and pain, sleeping problems, concentration problems, etc. You can minimize this by receiving threatment soon, and quickly rebuild strenght. My personal advice is to stay away from painkillers during daytime, use it only to get valuable sleep. And stay away from alcohol, for a while. When you get back to skydiving (2-6 months from now), you should apply all the info in the sport achieved over the last decade on how to minimize bodily harm during the opening sequence. There is a lot to be aware of. Find the info. Take control. It's your life. I learned this the hard way, and almost quit skydiving a few years ago.http://www.hangout.no

RSG, I can't add a single thing to the discussion...

I will add my vote for the spectre...it's what I jump (with all of 58 jumps), it's got a smooth, sweet, gentle opening...I tend to pull higher than "average" because I do "snivel" for a bit, but it's all good....

Heal well, heal fast, heal fully....get a second opinion, from someone who handles "sports injuries", and find out if that's really the case.
Sorry to hear you've had an injury...

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

lots of jumpers have been given that advice by a physician who knows nothing about jumping. Get another opinion, do lots of physical therapy. When you start jumping don't jump a camera (for a while at least), do jump a canopy noted for soft openings (such as a spectre). Remember though that ANY canopy is capable of a hard opening.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Don't give up yet. Get as many doctor opinions as you can. It comes down to they don't want to be responsible for saying yes you can jump no problem. It needs to be your decision once your healed. If you have another hard opening you could reinjury that area, but if you had an opening like that without the old injury you'd still get hurt.
My husband went thru a very similar accident. He ended up having surgery to remove the ruptured disks and then let the neck heal it's self. After about 6 months he started jumping again. He jumps a Crossfire, it opens very slowly and consistently on heading. The camera he wears is on his belly with just the lens on the helmet. He's now been back jumping for a year, did 4-way video at Nationals, and 400+ jumps since the injury.

Wishing you a quick and full recovery.
FrogLady

Thank you all for the advice

I really need it,
Today I am sending my MRI scan Images to all of the rediologests that I know ( I know a lot of them)

And will be waiting for the responce to see what's the openions.[:/]

Thank you all you are really like a family to me.

Hi SAm: I hope you are felling better now. I am sure you will have a full recovery. Many Doctors, wufos, ect think that skydiving is very high rick. Not that they are wrong. But the risk can be managed. Go to www.skyleague.com and read Dan BC's bio. He was told he might not walk again. But went on to win several world championships. If, when you get back into skydiving there are canopies and packing techniques that might prevent hard openings. Body position and holding on to your helment that might help. Good luck.B|

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

The first step is to get a second opinion. The next step is to tell yourself and believe that you will skydive again. Set goals for yourself. Rehab your neck first. Strengthen it as much as you can. If you're determined to do something you can do it, no matter how long it takes. Don't rush it, just take your time, give it plenty of time to heal. You'll be back in the air, just believe.

Hope you are feeling better. I would see someone else, seek a good sports doctor, they are more used to rehab situations.

Be prepared to follow rehab until the last day, even if its killing you to jump, otherwise you might just end up hurt again. Lots of exercise and definitely a spectre, jumped one for the past 200 jumps it is sweet, just know your opening delay.

Blue skies, quick recovery

Get the second opinion! I have seen someone go in from 2000 ft. Break almost everything on one side of his body and jump again a year later. Find a doctor who is a skydiver and understands what the body goes through during a jump. Remember the mind is a powerful thing as well. If you set your mind to it I bet you can recover and jump again. Good luck!!!! ;)

Dom

Hey SAM,
It sounds like you had a bum opening, it was surely compounded by the extra weight of the helmet cam. I have around 4,000 jumps, many with video. I have had more whacker openings than I care to remember (on one, I blew out three cells on my canopy). After trying just about every method in the book (and out too), I have come up with what I think is the best deployment/camera flying process. (Maybe this post is more for other current jumpers since it may be awhile before you fly camera again). First, lighter is better when it comes to helmet cams. As mentioned in an above post, remote lenses have their place, but unless you want to spend a bunch, they usually don't have the clarity or light adjusting speed of the actual cam. I have hundreds of jumps with a top mount Headhunter full face (remove visor and use goggles if you wear contacts). It sits pretty high and has a lot of weight. I tried holding the chin section on openings....bad idea!! If you insist, pinch it with thumb and finger, don't grip it. If you sustain a hard opening, the force is compounded by the weight of your arms too. Don't tuck your chin either, head tucked equals broken neck. Just like my football coach used to say "head up" when taking an impact. With head back during opening the weight is distributed on top and therefore doesn't swing forward with a pop!! It also allows you to let the risers get past the possibility of entanglment with camera before line twist. In the case of severe line twists, at least your head is in a position that you can see the canopy and asses the situation. (I know, I had a cutaway two days ago while videoing a birdman jump while in a bird-man suit). Besides, it's pretty cool to get the chop on tape!! I now jump a Bonehead Optik with D-box side mount PC9 because it is a ton lighter and less cumbersome. Possibly the most important way to stay safe while doing video is body position. Same goes for non-camera jumps. You can have the best canopy and pack job in the world, but most poor openings come from poor body position. After throwout, go right back into a big-ass ARCH!! With symetry, and position, you will lessen stress on the bones, and increase chances of a smooth on heading opening.
As far as the injury, take it slow. I'm not one to give advice on this by example. I fractured my neck, punctured my asophogas (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, how about windpipe) with my spine and broke my nose after losing a contact lens on a night jump and landed off DZ in a very dark area under high performance canopy. I jumped the next morning despite the injuries. I DO NOT recommend that anyone does this!! Take your time to heal, don't push it or you'll suffer worse things than what you've already got. Take the advise of my doctor. "Do what you want, don't be stupid about it, and if it hurts, stop doing it. Don't come see me unless the bone shows, or you're sure it's broke." He may not be typical, but it makes sense. Don't push it if it's doing more damage.
In closing, some of the best swoop videos and candid shots come from injured camera flyers. Get footage, tons of it, buy a quality editing program for your computer, and jumpers will flock to see your movies (especially if they are in it!!) Get well soon, be smart, stay connected with the skydiving community. Blue Skies, J.T.

Hi I had a slammer in Spain on a borrowed rig. My head felt like a cannon ball and my neck like a noodle, it was the worst pain I have ever experienced and I thought my head would fall off. I'm also a Diagnostic Radiographer and would totaly reinforce the advice of getting a second opinion. The vast majority of Dr's are compleatly clueless about Skydiving (Many proberbly assume that we fly back up when we deploy!) I had to lay off for a few months and occasionaly get a twinge the day after jumping but that has got lest and less. Yesterday I got a C-spine X-ray to check for early signs of degeneration, it was clear. Don't just take the word of one Dr, they always ere on the side of litigation especialy if they are guessing about the sport.
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Hey, I understand why you would be cautious to jump again... I had the same thing happen not soo long ago, in the incident post, named "head down on opening." In case you have trouble finding it, here are the details.

"All right, I had a bad week, and was soo looking forward to 2days at the DZ. First jump on Saturday, I finnaly got to use a smaller canopy. I have 15 jumps, and weight 100lbs.. I had been jumping a 220. Yesterday, I jumped a brand new Sabre 170. The Skydive itself went great! I went to pull, went almost head down, had an extremely hard opening... And got knocked unconscious. When I woke up, I couldn't see anymore... My right arm was trapped above me, in what I will never know. After a few yanks I got it down. I had much trouble finding my brakes, but finally got them. I couldn't see anything but slight color differences. I didn't know my altitude, nor did I know where I was in the sky. I made a 90 degree turn about 100, not realizing where the ground was, and as the heel of my foot, already in front me, hit... I flared. Needlessly to say, my flare was a little too late. I hit the ground, bounced about 2ft in the air, busted my pants open... And fell over. About 30secs later I had my boyfriend and anouther insrtuctor (by the way is a EMT) by my side. I still had no sight, and was VERY sore. I then was taken to the hospital, and good news... NOTHING BROKE. My leg has gashes missing, as well as my side, my chin and my arm. I can now see again, but I'm very tender. Lesson to be learned: Don't go head down. To all my Palatka people, see you this weekend in the air. "

I hope you stick with it, I really do...

Lisa
For every first... there is a case of beer!

Stick with it man. I am going through the AFF program. I have been in the Marine Corps Reserve for almost 6 years. I have had problems with my back ever since a motorcycle accident last year and Monday I got some MRI's read and found out that a section of my lower back shows degeneration commonly seen in someone over twice my age (I am 25). I get pains sometimes but I will am going to stick it out and get my license. Sorry if this makes no sense :) I went out with friends today to celebrate my anniversary and I am a bit..oh how do you say..tanked :) Get a 2nd opinion and stick with it if you can! Good luck!

Josh

My humble opinion is that not only the canopy is important, the packing method can make the difference sometimes.
ralu

I'll second that. I have 6 vertebrae fused so am very particular about how my canopy opens. I dont EVER let anyone other than my girlfriend pack for me and have my "super soft opening" tricks I use on my Jonathon. I have about 130 jumps since my surgery last year, I jump a sidemount camera and havent had any problems. just be AWARE of the injury and make the necessary compensations. Oh yeah.. the doctor told me I would NEVER be able to skydive, and he didnt even know I was a jumper.

they base a lot of their information on stats from the '60s, just like insurance companies do.

Blue Ones !

Bryan

Sorry about your problem. For others, we had a similiar incident last fall at our dropzone. An extremely hard opening damaged vertibrae. The jumper could not reach up to get her toggles after the opening. After she landed I noticed that her slider was stowed. I assume she couldn't stow the sider if she couldn't reach her toggles. Pack safely

Sam,
Thanks for posting that. I am soon to fly camera and I had some concerns about hard openings.

I Hope you heal fast and can get into the sky again.
what ever you do, make sur eyou are healed COMPLETELY first;)

))))))))))Sending vibes your way!((((((((((((

My photos

My Videos