Jimbo

Big Student - Tiny Rig

Taken from another thread, but I thought it deserved its own.

Rdutch said:

Very true Bill, and since this is another incedent I will post this here, We had skydive U student grab the wrong rig, He was doing a solo so his instructor wasn't involved, but the 200+ Pound man with about 45 jump's grabbed a very small rig belonging to one of the staff cameramen. The rig contained a stilletto 97, how the guy even fit into this rig eludes me as it's owner is about 4'10 and about 100lbs. The jumper realised he grabbed the wrong rig upon opening, and was extra careful, and landed without incedent.

HOLY SHIT!

I have to wonder, how did the 45 jump student NOT realize that he wasn't grabbing the rig containing his skybarge? A rig containing a Stiletto 97 and appropriately sized reserve has got to look and feel a LOT different than the rig a student with 45 jumps might be using.

Thank God he's not broken.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Same thing happend at a boogie i recently attended with a b rel student grabbing the wrong rig that also contained a stilleto 97. I think she had around 60 to 80 jumps and should have been using the student rig with a 240.

Same thing happend at a boogie i recently attended with a b rel student grabbing the wrong rig that also contained a stilleto 97. I think she had around 60 to 80 jumps and should have been using the student rig with a 240.

I'll ask again, how do you NOT notice?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

-
Jim

Quite honestly, it almost happened to me at CSS last year. I was told to go grab a rental rig off this rack and the first one I grabbed was I think a 120 and I was supposed to be flying a hornet 210. A packer noticed right away and got me the right rig. Frankly, when you have that few of jumps ( Ihad less than 30 at the time) most rigs look about the same size - or they did to me. I can relate to the previous posts about grabbing the wrong rig. I mean now I can totally tell the difference between the differnt rig sizes, but I didn't notice it before.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

If it's the same one I'm aware of:

The borrower did an excellent job of getting the 97 open without line twists, flying it to the ground safely and flaring it (with a tidy face plant at the end of the swoop).

This person is currently being counselled about their future in the sport. Doesn't seem to have gotten the "responsibility" part of the package yet.

The rigs concerned were of the same design and similar colours. However:

- The borrowed rig had no AAD, and
- The borrowed rig had a different deployment system

You can't notice if you don't look.

L.

You can't notice if you don't look.

if you dont look you dont care!!!
if you dont care its the wrong place to be!!!

No excuse to jump the wrong rig in such a case.It´s close to what i would say."did it on purpus"

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

>I'll ask again, how do you NOT notice?

Heck, we had an AFF-JM who, on occasion, grabbed the wrong rig. I discovered this one day when I found my rig missing from where I had left it, and had a few worried moments until he landed and came back with it. He said later he didn't notice until the canopy opened. If an AFF-JM with 900 or so jumps can overlook a rig that's considerably smaller than his (he was both taller than me and used a much larger main) I could see a student who's always changing gear anyway making the same mistake.

Happened to me on AFF level 5. The AFF instructor grabbed a student rig with a 210 F1-11 in. Turned out that an experienced jumper had borrowed it before me and put his stilletto 150 in. The instructor didn't spot it even though she was talking me down on the radio, the packer was the one who ended up noticing it. The instructor wrote in my log book that I overshot the landing area and needed to work on my accuracy, but no mention of the wrong canopy.
Everyone had a good laugh about it afterwards.

The instructor didn't spot it even though she was talking me down on the radio
The instructor wrote in my log book that I overshot the landing area and needed to work on my accuracy,

umm.. if she was talking you down on radio, shouldn't SHE get bad marks for your accuracy?

Landing without injury is not necessarily evidence that you didn't fuck up... it just means you got away with it this time

Iteresting, at my dropzone the rental/student rigs are color coded with a chart on the rack of what's inside each one!

I made the charts, one for canopy sizes (main and reserve) and another for harness sizes. While I was there I still had students pre-flight a silver-striped rig (170 main) instead of the white-striped rig (230 main). So even with color coding and a chart, it still happens.

Hook

I have to wonder, how did the 45 jump student NOT realize that he wasn't grabbing the rig containing his skybarge?

Students, and even experienced jumpers, can do some amazingly crazy things.

I once caught a new jumper to the DZ walking to the plane with his rig on *inside-out*. That's right, with the pilot chutes against his back, and backpad facing out. All you have to do is flip the main lift webs around to the other side, and you can do it...

Bizarre, but true.

I have to wonder, how did the 45 jump student NOT realize that he wasn't grabbing the rig containing his skybarge?

We had a student grab one of the throw-away student rigs instead of the ripcord rig he should've gotten.

This wasn't noticed when he was pin-checked (well, the rig itself was fine).

He pulled, held the ripcord (he thought) in his hand, but nothing happened. So he performed his emergency procedures, and landed ok under his reserve.

A slightly smaller mistake than grabbing a tiny rig with no AAD and stuff, but nevertheless one that could have ended in a horse-shoe I believe.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Is it me or do most student rigs feel very stiff & uncomfortable! :S I'd always have a instructor telling me how comfortable it will get when you have your own.

I think I'd notice if my rig was cool looking and comfortable! ;)

---
** Blue Skies, Yellow Mustard. **
It's like a farmer, out-standing in his field.

Im not familiar with large dz operations as I have only jumped at Eloy for Collegiates this year, but we have all low time jumpers get gear checks before loading the bus. At my small dz, this would have been notice very quickly. Is this practice common at larger dz's?

Here's to the Breezes that blows through the Trezzez.....

I can't say I 've seen any really terrible gear being worn except a guy who realised his last few jumps were with the right riser/lines link open....

Mind you, gems like 'whats this for?' from the S/L student holding his static line over his shoulder always bring a smile!

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Mind you, gems like 'whats this for?' from the S/L student holding his static line over his shoulder always bring a smile!

That was because a cameraman with a weird looking camera helmet was filming students getting checked out - as the girl got handed her static line, he shoved his camera helmet in her face and she didn't know what it was. But it did make for a good video - her getting handed her s/l and coming out with a confused "what's that for?". :)

shhhhhhh! Or they'll all start blaming it on the camera!;)

One of our lot who recently trained did a SL fjc had the opposite problem - a wee little lass with a massive great rig, probably capable of taking a student three times her weight and physical size. Whilst she was fine under canopy, she said that she had no control after exit as she just 'fell back' under its weight. Basically that the rig exited with her rather than the other way around!

I suppose that if she picked up some bigger rig as opposed to a smaller one (a big guys accuracy canopy), the islander might have to be scrambled to get her if the spot was a bit off!

Mike

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I can't say I 've seen any really terrible gear being worn except a guy who realised his last few jumps were with the right riser/lines link open....

We had a guy renting student gear just grab one off the rack wihtout doing a pin check. He ended up getting his first reserve ride when he went for the ripcord and realized it was a S/L rig set up for a PRCP.

For some reason that guy is incredibly insistent on pin checks nowadays :)
-Jackmc
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I've seen this happen with a guy just off student status. He was putting the rig on and I asked "Hey guy what are you doing?" He said somthing like just going up and getting out and I said you should probably get a rig with a rip cord, then explained why a statis line would be hard to use.