clouddancerss

Mentors???

That used to be the ONLY way you learned once you were off student status. You were taken under the wing by someone and they showed you the ropes and explained DZ life to you.

Alas, as the old school has died away and made way for the new generations, so has the mentoring died away in many places.

Ours went away because the new jumpers didn't have the patients to sit still and learn. They just wanted to GO GO GO! Freeflying was at the point where you could spend a lot of time jumping on your own without having to be social with a new group of more experienced people...something which seems to be hard for younger jumpers.[:/] Heaven forbid you look like a newbie for a while as you're learning! That wouldn't be cool!

The more experienced jumpers offered, but were turned down. This happened enough that most of them just threw in the towel and let folks go their own way and try to learn as they went...it didn't (doesn't) work too well. But at least new jumpers aren't forced to be meet anyone more experienced than they are until they're ready to now! :S

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Well, one of my instructors was like that for a couple of years. Till I had been in the sport long enough to sort of know my way around and had enough jumps to have about a pinch of clue what was going on.

Now we're good friends. He basically took me under his wing.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've been lucky and have had mentors at any DZ that I've gone to. If you want a mentor, find someone who's experience level is pretty high up there and ask them.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

look for the people that are not financially tied to the DZ, please. These are the people that are most likely willing to take time to help you and not expect $ in return. [:/]

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I've often wondered about mentors at the DZ also. I think it's a great idea. There are also many great mentors on DZ.com who help us newbies out constantly! Thanks! :)

Hooksnswoop is my mentor..

Watching him made me want to swoop.. He has ripped me when I need it. Schooled me on a constant basis. I constantly try and learn what he knows. He is the only mentor I have in skydiving.

Rhino

The best Mentor, the one who tells you a rule then always follows them. My Mentor is Mary. She took me under her wing my first year at Quincy and ever since, she has squared me away. The military is very big on "Leading by Example". Well, Mary does. I have tried to do my skydiving career after that principle and sometimes it works and other times, I fail. When I do, I have her to bounce the event off of and find out what really should have been done.
The very best part of Mentor Mary is, she is also a friend.
Thanks again and Lead by Example.
Airborne
Blue Skies, No Wind
Feet and Knees Together

Until you get your A license (and possibly for some time thereafter) I would recommend that you stick with your DZ instructors. Religiously.

They're trained to give you the info you need in a measured, structured, accurate, complete, yet succinct way.

Your instructors take a personal interest in you and your skydiving. They'll watch you in the air and under canopy and will augment your training to best suit your current needs.

It's very easy (and very common) for well intentioned skydivers with hundreds of jumps to provide incomplete info or info you're just not ready for yet.

Being inexperienced, you won't have the ability to tell good info from incomplete or inaccurate info.

After you get your A license, as you progress into the sport, you'll make friends that will just naturally act as mentors. I have several myself. Some that I go to with questions about RW. A couple for packing tips. A couple for help with freeflying. A couple for bouncing ideas I have for "really cool jumps!" One for help with the mental/ emotional (sports psychology stuff) aspects of skydiving. I’ve noticed that my mentors have mentors of their own.

Also understand that just because a person has a lot of jumps doesn't necessarily make him/ her a good choice for a mentor. All it takes to get 1000 jumps is a lot of money and some basic survival skills... doesn't automatically make you a skilled skydiver or good teacher...

One of my mentors actually has fewer jumps than I do, but owing more time and study in the sport, greater knowledge.

And there are times when I trust only the instructors that were with me through my initial jump course. Bless 'em. They still keep a watchful eye on me, providing advice when it's needed.

Congrats on your tandem, btw. I'm glad you're getting into the sport. You've got a fantastic journey ahead of you.

Blue Skies,
Robin
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I still do it, but its harder now than it used to be.

Back at my old ARK. DZ I use to get a student and do a bunch of two ways with them. Then I would get another and jump with him a lot. I would then put those two together and go get another.

The first guy was to look after the second, the 1st and second after the third. Then they would all look after the 4th....It went on like this for sometime.

Today however most students don't want to be treated like they need anyone. I have been told by some of them that they don't need me messing with them.

True story:
At one DZ the winds were not ideal for jumping...In fact I was not jumping due to them. A guy with 100 jumps went to go manifest. One of the AFF I's out there (That has more jumps and experience than most will EVER have) told this guy that the winds were not good for jumping. This 100 jump wonder still wanted to manifest. I walked up to him while he was at the window and told him that I would not jump, and he might want to think about it.

He said "Why don't you assholes just leave me alone? I know what I am doing! Stop treating me like a student!"

There are several people here that have called me a "SkyGod" because I think that someone with 100 jumps does not know enough to make sound choices, and I think they should listen to the people that have many more jumps, and tons more experience.....

Now why should I continue to put myself in a position to be yelled at, and called names when I try to help?

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Now why should I continue to put myself in a position to be yelled at, and called names when I try to help?

Come on Ron... you are loving it :)

You would not be discussing WL issues on dz.com if you are not enjoying being abused B|
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Come on Ron... you are loving it

You would not be discussing WL issues on dz.com if you are not enjoying being abused

Oh yeah, I am loving it...:S
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Robin - great advice!!
Mentors can be found everywhere - just know that with every subject, people have different opinions and advice to share, so know who you;re asking - not just someone with a C or D license and assume they know what they're talking about.

Hey Robin - when all else fails - just go do an AFFI again ;).

-------------------------
"If you've never jumped out of a plane, the best way I can describe it is it feels as if you've just jumped out of a freakin' plane."
David Whitley (Orlando Sentinel)

:)
Skydiving'll change your life in a positive way. It truly is one of the most amazing things on the planet.... (well... slightly above the planet, anyway).

Have fun, be safe, and let us know how it goes!
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

True story:
At one DZ the winds were not ideal for jumping...In fact I was not jumping due to them. A guy with 100 jumps went to go manifest. One of the AFF I's out there (That has more jumps and experience than most will EVER have) told this guy that the winds were not good for jumping. This 100 jump wonder still wanted to manifest. I walked up to him while he was at the window and told him that I would not jump, and he might want to think about it.

He said "Why don't you assholes just leave me alone? I know what I am doing! Stop treating me like a student!"

Ron

shouldn't this have been a perfect reason to ground that guy? and to have a serious word with him?

one thing i completely lack the understanding for is the ignorance of "newbies" (i still consider myself to be one having about 200 jumps on my log) towards people who have been into skydiving for ages.
i know that i'm still at the very beginning of my understanding the game and there's a hell of a lot to learn in the years to come.
i was and i am always greatfull for "older" jumpers advice and i'm in the lucky position to have mentors (big shouts to my rigger and my teacher-friends) who always have an open ear for my questions.

on one thing i agree completely: if you don't ask for advice - u won't get it. that's the true lesson to learn.
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

shouldn't this have been a perfect reason to ground that guy?

Ground him for what? Being stupid? He had a license, and there are no BSR's against being stupid.

and to have a serious word with him?

Some of us tried, and got yelled at...

one thing i completely lack the understanding for is the ignorance of "newbies"

And I will never get this either...If a guy has one more jump than me, or one more year in the sport...I listen to them. I may not agree, or comply, but I don't tell them to piss off.

Ground him for what? Being stupid? He had a license, and there are no BSR's against being stupid.

And I will never get this either...If a guy has one more jump than me, or one more year in the sport...I listen to them. I may not agree, or comply, but I don't tell them to piss off.

We should listen politely to advice even if we do not intend to take it.
We all have to evaluate risk for ourselves and decide what is acceptable. Some people won't do big ways or 10-way speed, or jump if the wind >15mph, but I will. I, on the other hand, will not do hook turns or jump with "toys", although many others will. When my GF advises me I should quit skydiving altogether, I politely ignore her.

It is human nature to learn only from one's own mistakes and assume the mistakes of others don't apply to us.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

i always thought that there's some kind of DZ-policy that requires a certain amount of jumps on "certain" conditions like heavy wind od so. at least it came across this in spain (empuria brava) where they wouldn't let anybody under 400 (!) logged jumps manifest or board when windconditions exceeded a certain level. bloodsimple as that...

go and break your neck somewhere else? kick him out of the DZ? i think no matter how much money such an idiot leaves at the DZ equals the trouble he causes (just my opinion)

exactely my words!
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Today however most students don't want to be treated like they need anyone. I have been told by some of them that they don't need me messing with them.

Ron

You know I don't think that is really true. I can guarantee that there are some students out there that love to get the advice of someone knowledgable. I know that for a fact... because I am one of them! To tell you the truth it really pisses me off that I have now 32 jumps and never jumps with an instructor, or someone that commented on my progression.
So don't give up... some of us like to receive advice as long as the critics are constructive and not condescending.

"We see the world just the way we are...

I'm going to agree with Kitof1976 on this one!!! Although i don't doubt that there are some new people who get pissed off at people for trying to help/mentor them (although i find this hard to believe that somebody that is very low time would give up free coaching), keep offering your help. There are many, including myself who loves to receive advice/coaching/encouragement from the experienced jumpers!!:)

I would personally welcome your input - there are quite a few skygods running around my DZ that in no way shape or form like ANY fing advice thrown at them ever...

I just think that elitist attitude doesn't belong in such a beautiful sport...

KEEP IT UP RON - people do appreciate it!!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --