clouddancerss

Mentors???

The very best part of Mentor Mary is, she is also a friend.

Oh shucks.....:$
Patrick, the best part about you listening is that you listen. Now the little bird is soaring like an eagle and has left the nest.
See ya at the Convetion for that special jump;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Although i don't doubt that there are some new people who
get pissed off at people for trying to help/mentor them (although i find this hard to believe that somebody
that is very low time would give up free coaching), keep offering your help. There are many, including
myself who loves to receive advice/coaching/encouragement from the experienced jumpers!!

Well heres the thing...Tony Hathaway said it best to me one time.

People will listen when you tell them to do anything in freefall. They just do, and rarely question.

But very few listen to anyone when it comes to the skydive after the canopy is open.

This does not make sense.

If I go up to a guy and give him advice about freefall they like it....If I sugest that they not jump in high winds, or that they might want a bigger canopy....Then they don't listen.

Oh well...Whe I quit helping other is the day I quit the sport.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Although i don't doubt that there are some new people who
get pissed off at people for trying to help/mentor them (although i find this hard to believe that somebody
that is very low time would give up free coaching), keep offering your help. There are many, including
myself who loves to receive advice/coaching/encouragement from the experienced jumpers!!

Well heres the thing...Tony Hathaway said it best to me one time.

People will listen when you tell them to do anything in freefall. They just do, and rarely question.

But very few listen to anyone when it comes to the skydive after the canopy is open.

This does not make sense.

If I go up to a guy and give him advice about freefall they like it....If I sugest that they not jump in high winds, or that they might want a bigger canopy....Then they don't listen.

Oh well...Whe I quit helping other is the day I quit the sport.

That's because freefall advice is generally perceived as helping them to perform better, while canopy advice (except for CRW) is usually perceived as nagging.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Hello Everyone,

First, I am a tandem student getting ready for AFF progression. I have 2 jumps (tandem) and im getting ready for the third. Just let me say that these ppl that just came off student status the "KNOW IT ALL" would not be someone i would want to jump with. Life and Skydiving are learning progressions. Therefore, if anyone wants to give me advice im ALWAYS open to it. We only learn from the progressions of ourselves as well as those that have been in our shoes at one time or another.

Blue Skies
KAI

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

I would say that freefall advice is seen as performance tips, and canopy is considered saftey tips.

However, even when I approach someone from the "performance" side...they still think they know better than me.

Here is a little hint...If a guy on the ground says you had to dig out of the corner, and were not smooth on the toggles...chances are he is correct..He saw it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I am thankful that I had a great mentor who inspired me with what I needed to continue jumping. His name was Nathan Hall and he took me through AFF back in 1996 - 97. There were a lot of experienced jumpers / "SKYGODS" at the DZ back then. He was a very heads up, down to earth guy, and a hell of a skydiver. He took the time to make me feel comfortable at the DZ and to get to know me personally. When I got off of "student status" he took me out on my first fun jump. A 2 way horny gorilla. I had never experienced freefall in any other orientation than belly to earth, so it was very cool. I remember him saying to me "Brian, I never thought I would see you continue to skydive because you were always so damned scared on the plane." When he was killed in a plane crash back in 2001, with 8 other highly respected jumpers from my state, It was very rough. But now I am a S/L, Tandem Inst. with 1400 jumps and I think that without help from people like him I would probably not be here today.