Hooknswoop

More, what would you do if's?

What would you do if;

1. You lose altitude awareness, look down and see massive ground-rush (sub 1000 feet AGL)?

2. The load organizer says before boarding the airplane, "that due to zero winds, we will all land facing North", then under canopy you are going to be the first person to land the winds are now out of the south at about 7 mph?

3. You are on a 6-way RW dive and notice one of the other skydiver's main pin has come out of the closing loop, but the deployment bag is still in the container? There is a video person on the dive.

4. You are on a 4-way RW dive and realize that the 4-way is 500 feet below the planned break-off altitude. Do you track for the same amount of altitude and pull 500 feet low?, or track less and pull on time?

5. You are climbing out after another group and you notice that a jumper in the group ahead of you, which is half-way through their climb-out, has their cutaway pillow folded under their main lift web. The aircraft is a twin otter and there are people between you and this jumper.

6. Same scenario as the one above, except instead of the reserve pillow folded under, the jumper's BOC handle is tucked completely into the pouch.

7. On the normal main you jump, a steering line breaks on opening? At 1,500 ft? At 1,000 ft? At 500 ft?

8. The first group is climbing out and you notice that a tandem Instructor, all set to exit, has forgotten to attach one of the passenger's upper harness attachment hooks?

9. In a Cessna 182 on jump run, you will be the person spotting and just before you open the door you see the jumper in the back of the airplane push their reserve pin out of the loop, firing their reserve pilot chute into the back of the airplane?

10. On short final, you see another canopy coming directly at you. You neither of you do anything you will collide at about 30 ft.

Hook

Since I am new to this sport (and willing to learn) I will try and answer these questions (knowing that I will some wrong).

1. You lose altitude awareness, look down and see massive ground-rush (sub 1000 feet AGL)?

Go for my reserve handle.

2. The load organizer says before boarding the airplane, "that due to zero winds, we will all land facing North", then under canopy you are going to be the first person to land the winds are now out of the south at about 7 mph?

If I know I'm the first one down (with nobody close to me), I'll land towards the south. But if someone is close to me, I'll stick to the plan and land towards the north.

3. You are on a 6-way RW dive and notice one of the other skydiver's main pin has come out of the closing loop, but the deployment bag is still in the container? There is a video person on the dive.

Try and signal the video guy?

4. You are on a 4-way RW dive and realize that the 4-way is 500 feet below the planned break-off altitude. Do you track for the same amount of altitude and pull 500 feet low?, or track less and pull on time?

Track and barrell roll before I was supposed to pull. If things are still congested, track more and be prepared to use my reserve?

5. You are climbing out after another group and you notice that a jumper in the group ahead of you, which is half-way through their climb-out, has their cutaway pillow folded under their main lift web. The aircraft is a twin otter and there are people between you and this jumper.

Try to get my group to delay their departure?

6. Same scenario as the one above, except instead of the reserve pillow folded under, the jumper's BOC handle is tucked completely into the pouch.

Hope the person with their hackey handle remembers their emergency procedures.

7. On the normal main you jump, a steering line breaks on opening? At 1,500 ft? At 1,000 ft? At 500 ft?

Hope to hell I can steer with my rear risers?

8. The first group is climbing out and you notice that a tandem Instructor, all set to exit, has forgotten to attach one of the passenger's upper harness attachment hooks?

Try not to let the Tandem master jump?

9. In a Cessna 182 on jump run, you will be the person spotting and just before you open the door you see the jumper in the back of the airplane push their reserve pin out of the loop, firing their reserve pilot chute into the back of the airplane?

Close the door and don't let anyone jump?

10. On short final, you see another canopy coming directly at you. You neither of you do anything you will collide at about 30 ft.

Perform an immediate flared shallow turn and prepare to PLF.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Yeah, please, I would like to know ... under a 1.6+ eliptical at 5oo' agl? (ie:a broken/lost toggle), in a turn out; with due repect ...

I've been under a semi (1.2+) w/a locked toggle and used the opposing rear-riser to cempensate but this aint gonna work with the blasters I like to ride...

10. On short final, you see another canopy coming directly at you. You neither of you do anything you will collide at about 30 ft. ***

Turn a lot flat right...
Ok, so the spot isn't where I intended but it's all good... just a longer walk back to the hanger,; if i make it... been there @ about 75-100???. $.02

good questions.... try nyquil, it'll help you sleep!
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

1) Reserve... Cypres fires soon if i don't.
2) Surf's up!! :D
3) Wave off at the jumper and break.
4) Kick the track into max and split the difference
5) Hard one... try to get their attention, done something similar before but if they are out they probally won't hear. [:/]
6) Same, if they are inside the plane yell at the people near them to stop them.
7) Opening? Hold on for a wild ride, 1500, flip to rear risers, chop if needed. 1000 switch to rears, possibly chop if it was unlandable. 500, land it on the rears, or at least attempt to. Lines snapping are usually due to poor maintence or damage to the canopy through a hard opening. Since I just replaced the steering lines on my canopies, it would probally be a hard opening that caused them to break and no telling what else is blown up at that stage.
8) In theory the harness will hold just fine, in practice I'd try to get the TM's attention and point it out.
9) Hold the door shut, relock it, close all the windows and call for an abort. Same if the main PC is seen out of its pouch in the plane.
10) Flat turn to the right like I've practiced... and like all jumpers should know.

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>I've been under a semi (1.2+) w/a locked toggle and used the opposing rear-riser to cempensate but this aint gonna work with the blasters I like to ride...

Don't need to compensate once a break line snaps, just throw the other toggle out of your hand and grab both rear risers.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

My Cypres might have hopefully fired:S, then Jessie (DZO) would have me take up bowling indefinely[:/]

Realistically, I'd pull but risk a 2 out because of my Cypres. That's why I wear an audible and do my best in checking my alti often.

Land downwind, but I'd put on my brakes early, flare, and PLF.

Get the jumper's attention and signal him to pull.

Pull time is pull time. Again, altitude awareness is key. And should you see someone else get away, or should you initiate to get away, that should be indicative.

Shout at the top of my voice to get him back.

Same answer.

On opening, depends on how comfortable I am on landing it with rear risers, but most likely I'd cutaway.

Below 2000ft, I'd pray, land it with rear risers and PLF.

Stop him.

Keep the door shut and abort the jump.

Follow standard protocol by turning right to avoid a collision. But the key here is to always leave yourself an out, otherwise you might just end up colliding with another jumper.
My other ride is the relative wind.

Ok I'll bite. Some time to kill before my next meeting.

What would you do if;

Pull reserve.

Land south ... too fast ... might get hurt down wind. Not the best but "land safely under an open parachute." Winds may always change. Have to read wind sock on the way down. Also, know if your wind sock has a default direction. Ours isn't quite plumb. It take about 4 to 5 to turn it around right.

Signal break off. Point for the camera guy and jumper. If high try to dock and help him deploy his main (depends on skill level, AFF preferred).

Turn and track. Open when clear, open at minimum (2000') or push it a little. Probably planned to open about 2500 or 3000 anyway so I should be clear by 2000'.

Tell them to STOP! Not NO, sounds like Go. Stop jump if possible to correct problem.

See above.

Release other one. Check controllability. On my mains land them. Cut other steering line if necessary for easy straight flight. My mains are conservative ZP's.

See 5. Rigs TSO'd for one hook. Talk to him on the ground for remedial training.

Door stays closed. Everybody lands in the plane. Take his rig off. (Now landing in the plane is SCARY.:o)

Flat turn enough to miss to the right. Everybody knows that, right. Collision course turn right. There's even a safety poster.:)
Hook

We need harder ones than this.

How about 500', terminal velocity, reserve RC pulled at 1700' after cutaway. Been on back. Nothing but blue sky. Hmmmmm. Reserve Total. Bend over and kiss it good bye. ...... Been there, done that. Reserve decided to open, finally. That's why I became a rigger.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Not really experienced yet either, but this is what I would do:

Go for my reserve immediately.

First person to land sets the direction, so if I can safely do so (not hindering others) I'd land into the wind. Else I'd stick to landing the set direction.

Eh wave and point to that skydiver like mad? Also trying to get the videoman out of the way for when that skydiver gets the hint and deploys.

Depends on the separation altitude and on my main. My safire takes its sweet time opening so I really want enough margin.

Start yelling if I think that person will/may notice. Or one of the jumpers in between might get the hint.

Start yelling if I think that person will/may notice. Or one of the jumpers in between might get the hint.

Depends on the canopy. If I have enough height I'd cut away my safire (haven't practiced RR flaring on this canopy yet, my bad, can RR steer it just fine tho). At 1000 ft or less I'd better be careful with RR flaring, and PLF real good.

If I can reach him, grab him, else shout to get his attention.

Keep the door closed. If there's a JM or I etc in the plane I'd let them handle it from there, else I wouldn't let anyone jump. A 182 is so small that opening the door with anything out would be very hazardous I imagine, even if you're in the back.

Perform a flat turn to the right.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

>1. You lose altitude awareness, look down and see massive ground
>-rush (sub 1000 feet AGL)?

Open my main. Better skydivers than I have said unequivocably that they would open their reserve, then on the next jump opened their main when they got low. It's better to be under a main with a reserve deploying than trying to find a handle you've never touched in freefall before (or touched only rarely) at 1000 feet, and it's nearly impossible to break hundreds (or thousands) of jumps of conditioning.

>2. The load organizer says before boarding the airplane, "that due to
> zero winds, we will all land facing North", then under canopy you are
> going to be the first person to land the winds are now out of the
> south at about 7 mph?

Depends on the DZ, the attempt and the organizer. If it's Darryld organizing an 8-way, and the first guy down lands to the south, and it's Perris, then I'd land south. If it's George Jicha and he's organizing a 120 way sequential, I'd land north.

>3. You are on a 6-way RW dive and notice one of the other
> skydiver's main pin has come out of the closing loop, but the
> deployment bag is still in the container? There is a video person on
> the dive.

Stop the dive, dock on him and give him a pull signal (pointing to his back.)

>4. You are on a 4-way RW dive and realize that the 4-way is 500 feet
> below the planned break-off altitude. Do you track for the same
> amount of altitude and pull 500 feet low?, or track less and pull on
>time?

Track for 5 seconds, then pull. Works down to 3000 feet, so unless the dive was originally planned for a 3000 foot breakoff, should be no problem.

>5. You are climbing out after another group and you notice that a
> jumper in the group ahead of you, which is half-way through their
> climb-out, has their cutaway pillow folded under their main lift web.
> The aircraft is a twin otter and there are people between you and
> this jumper.

If he is inside the plane, yell. If he's outside, too late. He lives with the (small) risk of a hard-to-find cutaway handle if he has a mal.

>6. Same scenario as the one above, except instead of the reserve
> pillow folded under, the jumper's BOC handle is tucked completely
> into the pouch.

Grab one of the jumpers still inside the plane and tell him to tell the other guy. If he can't do it in time, at least one person on his dive will know in freefall.

>7. On the normal main you jump, a steering line breaks on opening?
> At 1,500 ft? At 1,000 ft? At 500 ft?

Depends on wind and canopy. Cutaway only if I have to land downwind or crosswind under my safire 119; otherwise land with rear risers.

>8. The first group is climbing out and you notice that a tandem
> Instructor, all set to exit, has forgotten to attach one of the
> passenger's upper harness attachment hooks?

Scramble back until he can see you, yell and point to his (or your) shoulder.

>9. In a Cessna 182 on jump run, you will be the person spotting and
> just before you open the door you see the jumper in the back of the
> airplane push their reserve pin out of the loop, firing their reserve
> pilot chute into the back of the airplane?

Don't open the door.

>10. On short final, you see another canopy coming directly at you.
>You neither of you do anything you will collide at about 30 ft.

Flat turn right, get ready to PLF.

No 1 is easy, Go for your main. As Billvon said, Conditioning will make the decision for you. It will also be a lot quicker.
I was once in a 4 way where we lost altitude awareness. We all got massive groundrush about the same time. All of us dumped our mains while still in formation. People on the ground say we were probably well under 500 ft when our canopys were open. Nobody was wearing a cyprus. Not one of us thought about the reserve. No time for that. :)

In just about all situations of being sub 1000 at terminal I would be pulling silver. I don't trust the student mains to open quick enough. My longest opening was 1000ft over Morgans pond. Some how the spring loaded PC hesitated and the canopy finally came out of the bag after I looked over my shoulder.

After I get to the ground, I would proceed to the nearest alcohol vendor and buy a 5th for the rigger. (Assuming I got the ground without massive trauma...):S

What would you do if;

1. Pull my reserve, no questions asked.

2. If I am the FIRST one down and no one else is setting up to hook, I would atleast crosswind the landing.

3. Give the classic AFF pull signal, if nothing is done, wave off the dive and track away.

4. Track as hard as I can and still pull on time. Its a 4-way, I don't have to worry about 12 other people tracking in my same general area.

5. If I'm in the front of the plane, by the pilot, tell him to red light the jump. If not, yell like a mutha-fucker to stop and try my best to stop the person from jumping.

6. See number 5

7. Land with Rear-risers.

8. Get the pilot to red light the dive, if I'm not near the pilot, tell the instructor, if I can't get that done, well, those hooks are rated to keep a passenger on the TM with only one out of the 4 hooked up.

9. Don't open the door, tell the pilot, tell the other jumpers, buckle up and ride the plane down.

10. If there is no other traffic and am coming out of a hook turn, carve away, flat turn otherwise, worst case, start flaring to slow down/float above the jumper and prepair to PLF (and "talk" to the other jumper).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

yea of course, but, the fact is I'm concerned about that moment in recovery arc when if I even blink, every thing gets verrrrrry wierd.... do you you know what I mean???
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

After I get to the ground, I would proceed to the nearest alcohol vendor and buy a 5th for the rigger. (Assuming I got the ground without massive trauma...):S

No no no. Your 18 right? So you will give me the money and I'll buy the booze for myself:ph34r: and share it with the rigger:)

Next time you're at the DZ, ask to be briefed about transitioning to a throw out. You'll like it better & no need to worry about keeping the handle afterwards.
My other ride is the relative wind.

1) Pull my reserve. Conditioning may take over, I may pull my main instead.
2) Change the pattern as much as practical so as to land into the wind. Depending on altitude, this may vary from landing downwind to landing upwind.
3) Stop working, start pointing (which coincides nicely with an AFF pull signal).
4) Track normally (but hard), deploy low. 500' Should be within margins for an RW jump.
5) Point and shout. Shout loud. A jumper between us, at least, may notice.
6) see (5)
7) Time permitting, restow the other toggle, otherwise just drop it. Time permitting, do a controllability check. Land on rear risers. PLF.
8) If I can get to them in time, stop them from jumping and point it out. Otherwise, point, shout, etc.
9) Door stays closed. Abort.
10) Flat turn to the right. Too high to flare-turn (you are above 30' still!).
Johan.
I am. I think.

1. I'd open my main immediately. Its a lot more instinctive and I can get it out a whole lot faster than my reserve. Immediately pump on the risers to get it inflated faster.

2. If its a small load and there's plenty of room, land to the sourth. If its a huge way, suck it up and land to the north and prepare for a bad landing.

3, Give the pull signal and wave off.
4. Normally even 500 feet low would give me time to track and pull by 2 so I would track the same amount.
5. Try to get their attention though I probably can't.
6. Try to get his attention.
7. Land on rear risers - I practice it regularly on all of my canopies. I'm not going to go to a reserve if I've got a landable main.
8. Try to get his attention. It should still be ok even if I can't and he exits anyway.
9. Keep the door closed.
10. Flat turn to the right, prepare to PLF.

1. You lose altitude awareness,
Muscle memory says I'll probably pull my main.

2. wind change after declared landing?
If there's a good out, land well out, facing into the wind. If there's no good out, suck it up and cuss a lot.

3. main pin has come out of the closing loop, but the deployment bag is still in the container?
Point at the guy, fly to him, point at his gear, check to see the video man is watching. Hope it's not close to breakoff already.

4. 4-way is 500 feet below the planned break-off altitude.
Track, clear air, pull. Probably about 500 feet lower than I'd like, but maybe only 300.

5. cutaway pillow folded under their main lift web.
Depending on how climbed out they are etc, might just have to watch. I can assure you that the bulk of the pillow under the harness is enough to crack a rib on a bareass jump. Otherwise, react to the exact state of climbed-out-ness.

6. BOC handle is tucked completely into the pouch.
About the same answer, only a little more urgency because he's ALWAYS going to use his main.

7. On the normal main you jump, a steering line breaks on opening? At 1,500 ft? At 1,000 ft? At 500 ft? Rear riser, release other brake, check. My canopy's not heavily loaded, so that's probably what I'm landing regardless.

8. has forgotten to attach one of the passenger's upper harness attachment hooks?
Get his attention, physically if needed. Yes, it's TSO'd without, but that's a pretty major screwup in my book. Back in the days of chest-mounted reserves they were cross-connected, and I would have done the same thing.

9. In a Cessna 182 ...firing their reserve pilot chute into the back of the airplane?
The door should stay closed and the jump plane descend.

10. another canopy coming directly at you.
bear right in a flat turn, and hope they're not British... Prepare for PLF.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>In just about all situations of being sub 1000 at terminal I would be pulling silver.

Consider that carefully; you may not have time to find a handle you've never pulled before in freefall. 1000 feet is not the time to try a new procedure for the first time.

On a rear riser landing you should be ready to PLF and there should be no recovery arc since you need to land this type of a mal as slow as possible. Rear riser stalls are dangerous, thus practicing these at altitude often to learn about your canopy and what it can react to. I have no issues landing my very ellipitcal Jedei at 1.4 or even higher based on my lead situation via rears.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

1. Pull Main

2. Depending on traffic land into wind, otherwise a 7mph downwinder isnt too bad. Empuria is good for sudden wind changes.

3. Things could get worse pretty quick, but i'd try to point it out to him and alert the camerman. If he is an experienced camerman he will notice if you do something out of the ordinary.

4. Track with a barrel roll sounds like a good idea, but I would probably just track as normal.

5. Try to bring it to his or one of his jump buddies attention. Other than that there's not much you could do.

6. See 5.

re 5 & 6 I always check All three handles, and buckles b4 exit.

At Empuria Brava in Nov my buddy lost his cut away pad on exit launching 5 way comp acc (caught it on the doorframe). During the first few seconds the pad was seen to snake out and disappear (caught on camera). Nobody else on the dive noticed.

At pull time he dumped out as normal and the canopy cut away. He realised that he had a total, but not why, and carried out his reserve drills.

On looking for his cutaway he lost the plot as it was not there. The rest of his drills went out the window because of this unexpected and un practiced factor.

He then failed to find/pull his reserve handle and was convinced he was going in, he even tried tracking towards water. That was until his Cypress, which he had completely forgotten about fired.

He landed safely in the water 600m from the DZ.

7. Release the other toggle and fly and land using rear risers, had to do it on a demo with no problems.

I find it interesting that people have stated they would cutaway a perectly good canopy. You should be happy flying your canopy in all conditions, and it is a good to practice flying and landing on rear risers.

If the canopy is winding up fast then that is a different matter, the chances are you will have both brakes unstowed when it happens or you will be in the process of unstowing them, so it shouldnt wind up.

8. Try and stop him jumping.

BPA rules state that the passenger must be hooked up prior to take off. Seeing tandems getting hooked up at altitude is quite unnerving.

9. Static line his res:ph34r: Serioulsly close the door and land the A/C, tell him to get the beers in.

10. Brake, and flat turn to the right PLF. Down or X wind is better than a canopy collision.

Buzz

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Hook:

all 10 of these scenarios are potentially present, and can happen on each jump. i try to stay mentally aware of what can't go wrong on each jump, so to try to be prepared for it when, and if it happens, which it will providing i sky dive long enough. all good scenarios to provoke the thought process of all sky divers, good post Hook, keep em' coming, the training is great! take care, be safe.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

Go for the reserve.

2. The load organizer says before boarding the airplane, "that due to zero winds, we will all land facing North", then under canopy you are going to be the first person to land the winds are now out of the south at about 7 mph

I'd take the down winder just for fun, but I see nothing wrong with changing the plan. If I was woried about people not reading the change, I'd land off.

Give the other skydiver the pull sign and wave off at the camera man.

Track for safe seperation UNLESS it means busting my preset deployment hard deck. I'd then take my chances with the possibility of the collision.

Nothing really, they needed to check their gear more carefully.

This is a problem? It's just more fun! I'd land it on risers (93 Xaos- yeah baby!)

TELL THEM! Then tell the DZO, DZM, S&TA, and anyone else who will listen. -added- This is serious, yes the harness is TSOed for one hook, but control may be dificult/imposible. Ever seen a Tandem side spin? Most scary skydiving video I've ever seen.

Leave the door closed and tell the pilot. It's his/her call.

Turn. Make it flat.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.