i finally packed my first pack job

holy shit all i can say is packers don't get paid enough for this. Its taken me all afternoon, a lot of sweat, some blood, a hell of a lot of cursing and pounding my fists, but i've finally done it - although i doubt its good enough to jump, but atleast i got the damn thing in the bag!
Ok now to take it all out and start again...

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

holy shit all i can say is packers don't get paid enough for this. Its taken me all afternoon, a lot of sweat, some blood, a hell of a lot of cursing and pounding my fists, but i've finally done it - although i doubt its good enough to jump, but atleast i got the damn thing in the bag!
Ok now to take it all out and start again...

Different JMs, different rules. Except for my tandems, I have packed every chute I've jumped. I was nervous the first jump, but I prefer to pack my own now that I have learned how.

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

Yeah,

I remember first jump of my own pack jub as much as I remember my first jump ;) Well ... it was less than a Year ago ;)
It is very surprising though that on many DZ’s people do not learn how to pack before they get up to 100 jumps. I started to jump at Skydive Texas where all new jumpers learn how to pack and jump their pack jobs right after they graduate AFF.

I started learning how to pack between jumps 4 and 6. Although I had already been watching people pack and had a general idea on how to do it.

Don't worry, packing gets much much easier. I've got my pack time down to 15 minutes from 45...I still have a ways to go, but I'm sure once I'm packing smaller canopies it will help. I'm jumping a 290 right now.

One thing I find that helps me a TON! is to lay down on the canopy before you start S-folding to squeeze every last bit of O2 out of there. I know most people do this already, but if your having trouble getting it in the bag/container, it might be because you have too much air in the pack job.

One thing I have learned when I started to jump with other people is to pack as soon as you get down. Don’t smoke, talk or just relax after jump – PACK!. The reason for that is to avoid the situation when your buddies are already packed and ready for the next load and you are still trying to put this thing into bag in hurry.

I hate packing! It is sooooo worth the $5.00 to me, especially down here in the Fl heat. Of course, now that it's winter, I have to think up a new excuse!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

agreed! i get called lazy on occasion, but for me it comes down to time or money? and there is always more money..time on the other hand.....

of course i need to brush up pon my packing skills for the boogie times when amy is so busy she cant get me on 10 min calls like she ussually does..:)

It is very surprising though that on many DZ’s people do not learn how to pack before they get up to 100 jumps.

Is this true? I thought you had to be able to pack to get your A license. Or was that just a trick cleverly conceived by our DZ to get people to learn how to pack?

Seriously, though, I don't trust anyone else to pack for me...even in the Florida heat. However, during summer I try to avoid the hours between 11 and 3. It wipes out a big chunk of the day, but at least I don't find myself suffering from heat exhaustion! :S

Nope, doesn't count till you open it in the air!;) I've been doing this long enough that I can't imagine paying anyone to pack for me, but we have a lot of jumpers these days that don't pack much, if at all.

BTW, way back when, after 10 years of rigging, 14 years of jumping, it took me 10 pack jobs on my first ZP canopy to get one I would jump. But I'm picky.B|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Is this true? I thought you had to be able to pack to get your A license. Or was that just a trick cleverly conceived by our DZ to get people to learn how to pack?

You're right.I'm trying to get my A right now and part of the proficiency card is packing.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Remember, if you don't jump your own packjob, then it doesn't count as your "first" packjob. ;)

And thank you for saying we don't get paid enough (I'm a packer), feel free to tip your packers at the end of the day if you got a few packs done, trust me, we remember and tend to make sure that you'll make that load you're trying to get packed for, etc. ;)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have just started learning to pack this weekend. I am hoping to jump my own pack job next weekend or so. I have a packer who I am really satisfied with, however I like to move around to different dropzones, and he is only at one of them most of the time. This becomes restrictive as he is the only person who I will let pack my rig. Hence the need to learn to pack.

I started yesterday and I must admit it is really hard. I treat my packer really good, make sure he always has a drink and something to eat. My philosophy is a happy packer results in softer openings.

He also happens to be a good friend of mine so that doesn't hurt.
Blue Skies
Neil

i've heard that "pack, BITCH!" gets immediate results!;)

i have learned a large portion of the small amount i know from the friends i have made due to them packing for a gimp with a dislocated thumb. sigh, since i no longer have an excuse, i must pack my own now but still find myself hanging out on the mat shootin the breeze and learning.

hats off to the hard workin men and women that keep people in the air for 3 minutes longer. now pack, BITCH!:P

namaste, motherfucker.

Nice one Dave. As I said, as long as the lines are straight, tight, in the center of the pack job, and the deployment is in sequence, it's designed to open. The trick now is to have the confidence to jump your own pack job (hey, you have a reserve!) and to refine your technique. It will get easier! (you'll develop your own methods and the canopy will age)

i've heard that "pack, BITCH!" gets immediate results!;)

ohhh please, please,pleeeeeaassse, say that to my packer next time i'm in Eloy..i'll even help carry you to the ER after we find your eyes..;)

Send WFFC a PM and ask him about his first pack job. (better yet, everyone PM him and ask him to post it on the forums)

When I was first learning how to jump, we were under T-10s. I was a poor college student and in order to pay for my jumps, the DZO taught me how to pack T-10s and PCs. Now those are hard to pack.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

agreed! i get called lazy on occasion, but for me it comes down to time or money? and there is always more money..time on the other hand.....

Sorry, I will never have someone else pack my rig. If there is a malfunction I know it was my fault and not some numb nut packer doing a rush job to make another $5 bucks. Besides you have to pay to play and packing is it.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

Send WFFC a PM and ask him about his first pack job. (better yet, everyone PM him and ask him to post it on the forums)

Simply put, 1st self pack job (under AFF Instructor supervision) results in 1st malfunction. But I stood the landing up in the dead center of the peas...
-----
~~~Michael