SSkydiver

hackey vs monkey

Had an incident last weekend during a 3 way. Did a 3 way, exit and freefall was fine, tracked at about 3800 then pulled, so i thought. Seems i got the pc half way out and then it slipped right out of my hand. Yelled a quick "oh shit" yelled another "I hope this works" reached back and grabed a handfull of pc and threw out. Thankfully i opend up. Looked at my protrack and said deployment was 2k. I dont know if i just simply didnt grab the hacky hard enough or what. I have heard about a (i believe) monkey fist. Smaller than a hackey but doesnt squeeze down when grabbed. Thinking about wanting one of those monkeys now. Any opinions?

A properly made hackey shouldn't squeeze down much at all. I have a hacky PC for use with a bird-man suit when I'm ready. It's a Cazer PC & hackey and it's very firm and hardly compresses at all.

Having said that, I do like the tactile feel of a monkey-fist better, especially on colder days.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I have heard about a (i believe) monkey fist. Smaller than a hackey but doesnt squeeze down when grabbed.

Plus it is less slippery because of its texture.

Question: why are monkey fists smaller that hackeys??? :|

It's the material inside the monkey fist which determines the size. On hakey's is how big the leather is cut/sewn.
Fly it like you stole it!

I was advised by a master rigger to avoid a monkeys fist. Apparently the extra weight can make it oscilate in the airflow when in FF thus working the pilot chute out of the pocket.

I told him i didnt care, felt my boc pocket was nice and tight and wanted one - he felt so strongly he wouldnt fit one and told me the dz shop wouldnt stock them.

Had to buy a hacky - that said got a cool hacky of his own design which has wire mesh inside it so is light but very stiff so kinda combines the best bits of both.

That said im getting a monkeys fist when i next upgrade

Honestly it sounds like he just wanted you to buy one of his hackeys rather than a monkey fist which wouldn't have put money in his pocket.

While I have seen 1 monkey fist made with a super ball inside that was quite heavy, every other one I've seen has been made with those yellow foam practice golf balls, which make them weight about the same as a hacky. If he was really worried about a monkey fist working loose while freeflying he should have steared you towards those freefly handles like wings and mirage make.

Back in the day, we used to use actual monkeys' fists (dried & formed of course) instead of puds. It became inconvenient to continue harvesting fists from monkeys when someone actually came up with the present day "monkey fist" which felt much like the original (if it was prepared right). With the original you also had to worry about a weak wrist for the attachment point, and with the new ones that worry has been all but eliminated. GO SYNTHETIC!
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Back in the day, we used to use actual monkeys' fists (dried & formed of course) instead of puds. It became inconvenient to continue harvesting fists from monkeys when someone actually came up with the present day "monkey fist" which felt much like the original (if it was prepared right). With the original you also had to worry about a weak wrist for the attachment point, and with the new ones that worry has been all but eliminated. GO SYNTHETIC!

Does Para-Gear still stock these?

never pull low......unless you are

I doubt it, but supplies are readily available from your nearest zoo!

While we're on the subject, who actually pushes all of the PC, including the handle, into the pouch, then pulls the handle out? I've heard of a lot of people in the states advising this, but never here in the UK.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

Monkey fist on the left,

Where'd you get that swank blue Monkey fist? We can only get gross colors, other than red, black and purple. I can't seem to get monkeys to match blue rigs.

Well how else do you find swank colors......(my favorite pasttime) SHOPPING!!! :ph34r:;)

I make monkeyfists so basically I just scrounged different stores till I found rope that matched my rig and made myself one. Hook made the pilot chute so the ZP was the right color ZP to match my canopy.

Yes I'm a girl and damn-it I want all my shit to match. :P:ph34r:

While we're on the subject, who actually pushes all of the PC, including the handle, into the pouch, then pulls the handle out? I've heard of a lot of people in the states advising this, but never here in the UK.

Well, thats how I was taught to do it when I took up jumping in Ipswich

Stuff it all in the pouch and hammer it flat until the handle appears at the opening.

Gives a very snug fit AND no loose material flapping around the handle

No, Not without incident