skyejumper

What to do when it rains?

I was all jazzed for the all-you-can-jump weekend here in So.Cal, and now we're expecting a big rain storm. >:( sooo... my question is.. "What can we do for fun on the DZ when it rains?" Watching videos grows old. Drinking? hmmm... there's a thought. Anyone have any fun or interesting suggestions??? :)

Think "all you can drink" pricing at the Bombshelter... ;)

Let's see, what's fun to do at the dz when it's raining other than drinking...

Naked creeper races
Lancaster Bomber reenactment
Creeper competition (for the belly flyin' types)
Buy the bytch a drink
Hacky sack in the bar
Flash Jack Gramley (he wants you to, trust me)
Run naked up and down the runway
Buy the bytch another drink
Watch the same old videos over and over in the bar
Table dances in the packing area!
Laugh at the bytch as she stumbles around the dz, then buy her another drink
Walk around telling everyone that it's manifest Dan's birthday
Give out random spankings
Play that silly German hand slapping game

how do you play that?

I learned it from a German jumper at JFTC last year. It wasn't raining but it was overcast so...

Damn it's hard to explain. We laid in a circle, facing in. Elbows at 90 degrees, hands overlapping the people next to us - i.e. my right hand was to the right of the person to the right of me's left hand. :S

So anyway, one person starts by slapping their hand down. Hands must then slap in order of the hands going clockwise. If someone slaps twice the direction reverses. Whoever screws up must remove the offending hand from play.

We did it sober, but I imagine it would be even more fun after a beer or two.

offering a packer who isn't making any $$ due to rain $5 to do something ridiculous is always fun. sometimes they'll just do it. drink a gallon of milk and hold it down for an hour, kill a goose in teh field witha sock full of rocks... never yeilds results, but the entertainment value is high. knee board races using 4wheel drive vehilcles across the swoop pond is fun. we've tied kelly (froggie) up to a creeper with random things and just flung her around too. the possibilities are endless.

Hmmm. I don't know about removing the offending hand from play... I played the version when you have to knock back a shot whenever you screw up, the result being the frequency of screwups increasing very rapidly as the game goes on and a whole ring of very drunk people! You probably cant jump after that though...

On another note, bungee battles in the packing hall always figures highly on my bad weather to-do-list.

Mike

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

"If it is windy grab a big wheel like you used to ride as a kid a large round and use your imagination on the run way.. "

Windy? Bust out my camera suit and roller blades!B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

when in zhills it was really windy we had a McGuiver (sp?) contest making sail boats out of whatever you could find and racing them in the swoop pond... was a blast (mainly because I won:):):)
-yoshi

In the old days some skydivers developed a good sport for high-wind (non-jumpable). Get an old rig with a round reserve put on yourself open it and try to stop drifting. Fun. Some jumpers were drifted along the whole runway. Reserve is good you can not cut it away. Also I saw a video:
At one DZ they had an old car (Trabant, somebody from E-Eurpe might know it) which was used to pick up jumpers who landed far awawy. So, the car's roof was cut down (home made convertible) and steel bars were installed like roll-cage to put your canopy oneto it. So, they put and old BE-8 round reseve on one of steel bars, so the reserve can act like a sail. Result: total failure the car did a nice loop. :-)

OVER