StevePhelps

Christian Ministry to Skydivers

I'm interested in starting a ministry to skydivers at boogies similar to what Tribe of Judah does at Biker Rallies. I know there is a Christian Skydivers Association, but I'm not looking for a club for Christian skydivers, rather I desire to have a minsitry of "presence" at Boogies. A real, non-judgmental, "where there if you ever need us" type of ministry. In other words a tent with free literature and free bibles, an ear to listen and maybe a short 2-30 minute service on Sundays. Anybody think this is a bad idea or a good idea?
Blue ones ~ Steve

I think it all depends on how you approach it.

If you have the tent there and welcome people into it, I'm certain you'll be appreciated.

If you plan on walking around passing out literature and testifying, I'm sure you'll be disappointed with the amount of acceptance.

If you walk into the bar, hop up on a table and start calling people sinners that are sure to burn in hell, I'm sure you'll get an ass whippin'. ;)

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I think Quade about summed it up. But if it works at a bikers rally it ought to work at a boogie. Lost Prairie might be a good place to try it out. I've got a sermon I've been working on, if you need a guest speaker......Steve1

Though many people will disagree, I have to say this: it's going to be more brainwashing, and politics, and, you know, issues, where they shouldn't be.
People go to a dz to skydive, that is, to experience something that's very important to them - for some it's recreation, for others - best sport in the world, and for almost everyone - a good way of socializing. You can say everything is in harmony there, pretty much, but by bringing religion where it shouldn't be, you bring controversy, you ruin many people's weekends.
Have you ever seen a DZ with a big TV tuned into CNN, or someone watching the DOW Jones rate, or whatever? No. People want to get this kind of stuff elsewhere. It's the same with what you're proposing - don't become a pain in the ass.

Rock on Quade, well said.

I like to experience Gods big church in the Sky on sunday mornings. What better way to behold the wonders of creation than from 14 thousand feet in the air. I do not need ministerial help on finding god.

Amazon

well said..why would i look to mans written words for inspiration and enlightenment when creation is all around?

if its kept civil and unobtrousive. i dont think anyone would really mind..intentionally distract me from my personal experience of divinity thru freefall and i'll certainly be annoyed..

but by bringing religion where it shouldn't be

Then what exactly should be there besides gear? Booze, tits, and everyone cussing? Sounds good to me but to a lot of people this is a serious clouding of their mind. There are many people for whom a personal relationship with God is an integral part of their lives. Spiritualism isn't about Sunday morning but about every single moment and especially the fun ones. You should be tolerant of them just as they are not judgemental towards you.

Next, I think his idea here is not to force something down your throat but just to be a presence and maybe you'll think of it for all of 15 seconds. No harm done, what's the big deal? He isn't putting a pulpit in the loading area when you're getting ready for a solo to clear the fog. It's not even a load organizer who insists on a little praise to Jesus.

Finally, this isn't a good comparison to the news or the dow jones. Improperly done, it's a bit like the guy who won't leave you alone about that insurance he was talking about (yeah, a little like C-Span). Properly done it's just someone's private life that maybe you will or won't notice and then wonder what he's about.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Personally I am a spiritual, but not neccesarily a religious person. I think it would be a great idea for those who wish to be at the dz, yet want to worship in that way. I wouldnt be offended in the least bit if someone held a sermon on the dz. even though I wouldnt consider myself religious it might actually be a little comforting. I think it would be only as intrusive as a group of people doing yoga in the morning to stretch out and are open to people joining in.
-yoshi

Then what exactly should be there besides gear? Booze, tits, and everyone cussing? Sounds good to me but to a lot of people this is a serious clouding of their mind. There are many people for whom a personal relationship with God is an integral part of their lives. Spiritualism isn't about Sunday morning but about every single moment and especially the fun ones. You should be tolerant of them just as they are not judgemental towards you.

Wow, DJL. An excellent statement of fact. I was just wishing that I could put those thoughts into words when I read your post. I applaud you for looking at the situation objectively and without bias towards those who might think differently than you. Good work, man.

Do i think this is a good or a bad idea?? We'll,it WOULD make me feel better about skipping out on church to catch the sunrise load, but seriously.......:)I think that it could be a good thing or a bad thing. Personally, i got to semenary every morning at 5:30, and i duck out between 12 and 4:30 each sunday to make the 4 hour church service (after the added meetings), maybe i would check it out, but sometimes i find myself at the DZ just as way to escape from all of that.
But, it could very easily see it as a way to piss people off. Some ministries I look at have nothing to say of their own, but their entire message is just attacking someone else. Personally, i wouldn't have a problem with a quiet sermon on the landing area, heck, i would probably go check it out, but if they were preaching like some people i hear on the radio (I.G. Hank Hanograph) where their sermon is based of condeming others, i would find it offensive and probably not make it any easier for them to exist. I go out there to be in a good mood, and i'll fight to stay that way >:(

Phelps, if you wanna give it a go, good luck buddy, mad props to ya, but just be sure that your message does not exclude or condemn those you jump with.
Oh, yeah, and don't condemn your rigger to firey brimstone and hell, he can really screw you over. ;)

- sds
Manhattan Kansas

=========Shaun ==========

I'm interested in starting a ministry to skydivers at boogies similar to what Tribe of Judah does at Biker Rallies. I know there is a Christian Skydivers Association, but I'm not looking for a club for Christian skydivers, rather I desire to have a minsitry of "presence" at Boogies. A real, non-judgmental, "where there if you ever need us" type of ministry. In other words a tent with free literature and free bibles, an ear to listen and maybe a short 2-30 minute service on Sundays. Anybody think this is a bad idea or a good idea?
Blue ones ~ Steve

It's been done.

If you somehow expect to come across someone at a boogie that has is as yet unaware of religion, you're going to be sorely disappointed.

If you want to keep it low key, cool. If you choose to be offensive and proselytize, you are cordially invited to rethink that decision. I won't stand up in a service and expound on the virtues of skydiving, so please don't stand up at a DZ and expound on the virtues of your particular True Way.

If someone wants to go to church, I'm sure they could find one without looking too hard. Some of the people who don't go to church value being spared the experience.

Blue skies,

Winsor

but by bringing religion where it shouldn't be

I have a real problem with the idea of "tolerance," not to mention judgemental attitudes. You don't tolerate something you find acceptable - you accept it. It is only when something is fundamentally unacceptable that one condescends to "tolerate" it. I find the sanctimonious nature of "tolerance" abhorrent, and I would rather leave my options to acceptable or unacceptable. You can have tolerable.

I have had self-proclaimed religious people presume to pass judgement on me enough that I'm unimpressed with the whole thing. Much of what is passed off as holy strikes me as pretentious, if not downright preposterous.

I don't drink, am asleep before the wet tee shirt contests (golly, breasts!) but have been know to utter the odd epithet if the occasion warrants.

The Amish people who come out to DZs and have picnics are to my liking. They are pleasant and friendly, and don't foist their way of life on those outside their community.

Next, I think his idea here is not to force something down your throat but just to be a presence and maybe you'll think of it for all of 15 seconds. No harm done, what's the big deal? He isn't putting a pulpit in the loading area when you're getting ready for a solo to clear the fog. It's not even a load organizer who insists on a little praise to Jesus

What people do behind closed doors is their business. If someone comes selling paradise insurance for when I bounce, they can keep their honeyed figs and I've had my share of virgins thank you very much.

Blue skies,

Winsor

:)All you can do is make it available. Those who wish will attend, any who become interested by those who attend might come, those who feel threatened will complain. Just remember you can only offer the opportunity and invitation.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

Steve
Personally I could use the competition. But if you are going to be a fisher of men, may I recommend the
use of bait. JC did not run around claiming to be
the son of God for a reason...it kept him in the mix
long enough to spread to WORD so to speak. The
best teachers feed their students scraps of info and
wait for their curiosity to bring them back begging
for more. I think you could be much more effective
being subtle rather than whipping out literature as
people walk by. You don't want to scare them away.
Well good luck with it.
...mike( the resistor)

-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

mwh.jpg

I'm interested in starting a ministry to skydivers at boogies similar to what Tribe of Judah does at Biker Rallies.

Personally, as an confirmed atheist, I regard a Christian Ministry at a drop zone about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle. As the previous manager of Skydive City in Z Hills, I was actually approached about this and nixed the idea, and not because of my personal beliefs either. The reason was, that if I allowed a tent to be set up and even discrete proselytizing to take place, ther was no way that I was going to be able to honestly set that activity apart from the offical business of the drop zone. Also, the drop zone is an adult playground, and people go there at weekends to get away from things, let their hair down, and play, jump, drink, swear and get laid (if it's a good weekend). There was a church about every damn block in Z Hills if you wanted a nice pray of a Sunday, but I never saw much use in setting up a skydive booth in any of those either. If you're having a spiritual crisis that requires immediate triage, you probably shouldn't be at the drop zone or a boogie anyway IMHO.

No matter how it's approached, religion is a divisive issue, and whilst some people might approve, there's going to be a lot of people of other or no faith that don't, and there's no real need to inject extra politics in most drop zones.

Also, the drop zone is an adult playground, and people go there at weekends to get away from things, let their hair down, and play, jump, drink, swear and get laid (if it's a good weekend).

....and the Lord said unto the shepards...
"F*&% OFF...THIS IS COW COUNTRY!"
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.