superstu

When did you go to an elliptical canopy?

I didnt know that a Spectre was considered an elliptical...

It's not rectangular, therefore some would argue that it is an elliptical.

The problem is there aren't widely accepted definitions for the terms high performance and elliptical. When the Sabre first came out it was considered to be a very "high performance" canopy. PD chose the word "tapered" to describe the semi-elliptical shaping of the Spectre, Silhouette and Sabre2, but marketing terms aside they could all be considered "elliptical."

Perhaps it would be better to refer to canopies as belonging to particular classes. Low performance would be all F111 7 and 9 cells - the mains of yesterday. Mid-performance would be rectangular zp mains - Triathlon, Sabre. Performance would be semi elliptical mains - Sabre2, Safire and Safire2, Silhouette, Spectre, Pilot, etc. High performance would be Stilettos, Crossfires, Cobalts, etc. And Ultra performance would be the crossbraces and swoop machines.

Looking at it that way, I first jumped a high performance canopy when I put a couple jumps on a Diablo at about 750 jumps.

Most people chalk up a crappy landing to a "gust"...when in actuality it is themselves that fly their canopy that way.

The dreaded "side gust"! lol Good point and very true.

I jumped a Sabre 170 until about jump 750 for about a 1.1 loading including the rig. I then got a Stilleto 135 for a 1.4 loading, and have a second rig with a Stilleto 150 as the main.

All this stuff was bought from friends at the DZ, with the exception of the 2 AADs and a new PD reserve to go with the 135. In the case of the 135, it was owned by the organizer whose jumps I funneled at about jump 60 (we still jump together from time to time), and the 150 J1 container was owned by my AFP instructor during the time when I was lucky to do a 90 degree turn without potato-chipping (still jump with him, too).

So, I may be considered by some to be conservative. I don't do many ambitious swoop moves, but I'm in one peice and we have a great time in the sky together. So, bring it on all you hot shots!;)
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

200 jumps when I got a crossfire loaded @ 1:1 (actually ordered a safire but they made the wrong canopy)

300 jumps crossfire loaded @ 1.2:1 (I'll proably never go smaller than this due to a bad knee)

Also, I live with a canopy coach so I get a lot training wether I want it or not, but without that I would not have even considered keeping the original crossfire.
Fly it like you stole it!

Around 60 for my first true elliptical, but only loaded it at 1.1

Bought a Stiletto after demos of several other canopies-but, I did have a canopy coach helping.
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

I just bought my first elliptical canopy and I love it. I started with a 1:1 wingloading under a Spectre 150. After about 625 jumps I bought the Stiletto 135 a couple weeks ago and I am lovin the 9 cell elliptical. I like the way they fly but I am going to miss those beautiful soft Spectre openings. In my opinion, not too many canopies can compare to the opening of a Spectre. But the Stiletto is sure to offer some fun times ahead. We are still learning about each other. Don't get me started on loving relationships with one's canopy. I won't go there. :S
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

I had more than 1,000 skydives before elliptical canopies were invented.
I tried a few small solo elliptical canopies, but they were too fast for me.
Started jumping elliptical SET 400 tandems when I had about 2500 jumps.
But only started jumping - on a regular basis - a sort-of-elliptical Diablo 135 last fall.

70 Jumps I jumped a 1.4 loaded Spectre 135, Thats not what I would call elliptical though.

95 jumps on a Nitron 150 1.3 Thats first elliptical jump.

at 120 jumps bought a Nitron 120 at 1.6 First owned elliptical.

Thats probably what you were looking for. If you can handle openings and the sensitivity of inputs on those canopies I try to advise many to an elliptical canopy because they have better flare, better bottom end, and tend to fly all around better. This is a generalization of course but tends to be fairly accurate.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

650 landings on a spectre 150 before buying a stiletto 135 at about 1.35 loading. It has taken me about 200 jumps to figure out how to pack it properly and get the body position right, HP line twists are very different from my old spectre.

I couldn't help but comment on your post since it is so similar to my own experience. I also downsized from a Spectre 150 to a Stiletto 135. The only thing I wanted to mention is that I tried out 4 different Stilettos until I found the one I wanted to buy. Amazingly enough even though they were all the same size, they all flew a little differently. I think they are a kind of canopy that has their own individual personality. The first one I jumped had about 1100 jumps on it and threw me out of whack for the first 4 openings. I had to learn that with a Spectre, you can almost be in any crappy body position you want when you dump and that thing will still open up soft, on heading and balanced. After a few openings under the Stiletto when I opened in a left turn spiraling dive I learned that after you dump, these canopies are so sensitive to input unlike the Spectre that if you are someone who is used to watching the lines deploy off your back it could put you into a spin or line twists. So if you were used to doing that with your Spectre, try keeping your body fixed in the stable arch with your shoulders square to the horizon when you dump and try not to look up or over a shoulder to watch the canopy deploy. Check the canopy after it has fully inflated. That helped me tame down my openings and prevent an immediate Mr. Toads Wild Ride opening. Now I do not notice my openings as much. After about 25 jumps on my Stiletto and some good advice from our rigger, my Stiletto and I are off to a way better start. We still have a lot to learn about each other but the love between us is there.

Hope you are enjoying yours as much as I am enjoying mine.

Blues skies and safe landings.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

I got my elliptical 105 at around 2100 jumps. I still have to admit my 1st zp canopy flight was at my strong tandem certification course. My partner for the jump was a hotrod canopy pilot from Florida, we surfed it in for a nice standup landing. I was scared to death! I still love my big 220 but my ellipticals loaded at 1.65 are fun too, I was just a late bloomer.

jumperval

I bought a Stiletto 120 after ~300 jumps with an Excalibur 170. But since then I've cut back on jumping so I wanted a nice and square and calm canopy again and got myself a Sabre 135 which I'm very satisfied with.

I don't own a real HP or eliptical yet, but my safire at 1,35:1 can be a true swooper once you've learned how to fly the shit out of it B| (took me several hundreds jumps to get close to there)
I don't see any point going HP/eliptical or higher wingload before I've fully mastered the Safire, what ever jump number.

for what it's worth...
Alain

My first canopy was a sabre 190, put a little over a 100 on it then went to a F.C.170 pro series, kept it for about 70 jumps, It was crap, Then I bought a Diablo 170, put around 400 on it, Then a a Diablo 150, Put about 300 or so on it, Then I bought The Xaos 120. I have somwhere over a 100 or more on it. It is definitly the SH....T.
I hardly ever jump My 150 anymore ( Way TOOOO Slow ).
Still here after all these years

Clayton