linuxguy

Pressure to give up skydiving ?!

Have u guys ever had pressure from family and friends to stop skydiving?
I have only done 30 jumps and was at the dropzone with 4 friends ( 1 of which is a very very good friend - he has done 60 jumps)
He was on one load before myself and 3 other friends and was jumping a canopy he had never jumped before.
Anyways we watched him comming in to land and he (admits he made a big mistake - "whether it was lack of concentration or whatever) but he hit the ground very very hard and Thank G-D ( a million times) the injuries he sufferred are not to serious, he is gonna have a backbrace for 5 months and has said that he wants to jump again.

The accident freaked out of a a lot of ppl esp non jumping friends ( I did 2 jumps the next day after spending the day at hospital with him) I had to see whether this is something that I could still enjoy and Love ( I decided I did really enjoy it)

I feel that I am putting a lot of emotional strain on my loved ones when I do jump ( they do not understand that my friend made a mistake) and I think they feel really scared it will happen to me.

I am feeling torn as I would really like to jump ( I do understand the risks - and feel I can cope with them), however I do not want friends and esp my family to worry about me
any comments ?? suggestions ??
have u had similar situations ??

Yeah! I know what you mean, especially when I first started skydiving. They are a lot cooler now, and I think will be even cooler once they get a chance to come out and visit the DZ and watch. Maybe sit down with them and seriously explain and discuss how much you love this sport and that without it you would be unhappy? Usually parents/loved ones will try to understand, if they know youre seriously trying to work through the problem. Just be mature about it and refrain from any comments like, "Well, I'm going to jump whether you like it or not, so you might as well accept it!!!!" :S

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I was given pressure by my mom to quit after I had my first malfunction. (My dad had died two weeks before that.) I explained to her that there are risks in everything we do and that I do everything I can to protect myself and be as safe as possible while skydiving, etc. I then pointed out to her that I could die driving a car and asked if I should quit driving. We discussed the fact that I can not and will not stop living because I could get killed doing something but that I will take every precaution I can to be safe. And, although she doesn't like the fact that I skydive, she has since stopped pressuring me to quit.

However, should I seriously injure myself, I suspect the pressure will be back on 1000 fold.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Unfortunately, this is something that we, as skydivers, will always have to deal with.
Some of my family/friends are ok with it and some are not.
You cant design your life around what other folks think you should do or not do. Theres only 1 person in this world thats responsible for your happiness and thats you.

There will always be resistance to your choice of activity and there is always an element of risk involved. You can minimize that risk by not getting sloppy and complacent. Stay on the ball.

After a while some of the pressure to quit will ease off but I wouldnt ever expect it to stop.

Short and happy is better than long and miserable.
Long and happy is the best and thats what I'm shooting for!

I've never felt pressured by family or close friends to quit (I think they've come to terms with some of the dangers in my life as I've done some other dangerous stuff as well like riding a motorcycle, mountaineering, rock climbing, etc, etc, etc). But the people I work with think I'm crazy (and I like it that way, who wants to be a computer geek?). Anyway, I went from being a very important software developer at my company to a developer who isn't assigned critical tasks. From a career point of view, this is not all that good. But from a skydivers point of view it's good as I don't have to work as much as some of my peers do. :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

My wife was a little uneasy when I first started, which I can understand since we have our first child on teh way. She thought I was just going to do it the one time when it was paid for as a birthday present. She never expected me to go back (especially since I was so afraid to do it in the first place that I almost backed out). She's realised now that it's something I'm going to do...

Now, my grandmother on the other hand FULLY scolded me for it, which was really really odd being that I'm 32 years old, and being scolded by my grandmother....

I had my wife go to a couple of websites that document skydiving accidents. When she saw that 97% of skydiving accidents and fatalities are from human error, and not equiptment malfunction, she was a little realieved.

There's a t-shirt that most of you have probably seen around your DZ that says "You'll be fine as long as you don't do anything stupid".... that rings some truth....

Remember when sex was safe, and skydiving was dangerous?

I started jumping in 1994. My parents totally supported my skydiving when I first started. 5 months after I started, my dad started jumping. Over 3 years he only made 30 jumps and had 4 malfunctions!! (He never learned to pack, so it wasn't ever his fault) My mom was there for the last one and just about had a heart attack when she found out it was him. She begged him to quit jumping. He jumped one more weekend then quit. He felt the pressure. They would like for me to quit, but they know how much it means to me and how much I love it, so they are ok with it. My grandmother, on the other hand... she made her first, and only, jump in 1996. After that, she tried to tell us (Daddy was still jumping at the time) that "We've all jumped and made it so now no one should jump anymore. You've done it so now move on to something else." I think that was the first time I ever talked back to her!! ;) Now, I just don't talk to her about it. It's better that way. :)

Have u guys ever had pressure from family and friends to stop skydiving?
I have only done 30 jumps and was at the dropzone with 4 friends ( 1 of which is a very very good friend - he has done 60 jumps)
He was on one load before myself and 3 other friends and was jumping a canopy he had never jumped before.
Anyways we watched him comming in to land and he (admits he made a big mistake - "whether it was lack of concentration or whatever) but he hit the ground very very hard and Thank G-D ( a million times) the injuries he sufferred are not to serious, he is gonna have a backbrace for 5 months and has said that he wants to jump again.

The accident freaked out of a a lot of ppl esp non jumping friends ( I did 2 jumps the next day after spending the day at hospital with him) I had to see whether this is something that I could still enjoy and Love ( I decided I did really enjoy it)

I feel that I am putting a lot of emotional strain on my loved ones when I do jump ( they do not understand that my friend made a mistake) and I think they feel really scared it will happen to me.

I am feeling torn as I would really like to jump ( I do understand the risks - and feel I can cope with them), however I do not want friends and esp my family to worry about me
any comments ?? suggestions ??
have u had similar situations ??

skydiving is'nt for everyone. If you're not sure about it, maybe you shouldn't be doing it. Be true to your feelings--you're the only one who ultimately knows what you should do.

I'm a new jumper (65 jumps) so I still get some pressure from my wife -- she doesn't exactly ask me to quit, but she makes it clear she doesn't like it. But, that said, she understands that it is my decision and it is something I am going to do. (She did, however, make me increase my life insurance coverage!)

Not that long ago I thought long and hard about whether I was being unfair to my son (nine years old) by increasing the risk of him losing his father while he is still young. I can't say that I really came to the conclusion that I am being fair, but I do believe that continuing to participate in an activity that I enjoy so much has got to be good for the overall level of happiness in the entire family. (As I write this, I am struck by how that simply sounds like a rationalization for continuing to jump just because I want to.) I really can't imagine giving it up, but if it caused a significant level of distress to my family, I suppose I would. Here’s another reason (rationalization) why “skydiving is good for my family”: it’s OK to set an example for a child demonstrating that it is reasonable to accept some risks in life to do something you really love, especially if those risks can be managed to some extent.

I can tell you that I do think about my responsibilities to my family as I pack and when I was picking out a rig (i.e., larger main than was recommended to me, large reserve, etc.); it also influences what I imagine doing in the future (e.g., no interest in ever doing a hook turn).

I am pressured to give up skydiving. I only have 3 1/2 months in the sport and a little over 100 jumps. My family was fine with it before I made my first jump b/c I only intended on doing it once for the experience. Needless to say, I became hooked and have been on the fast track ever since. My parents are a little uneasy about it but still like to see my videos and hear about it (they seem sort of fascinated by it), but my older sister HATES it. When I came into work Monday I had an email waiting for me from her about the plane crash in Pittsburgh. She said that she had forgotten all about the other dangerous aspect of jumping - "those small planes". She goes as far as to call me selfish and inconsiderate for making my family worry about me.

To be honest, I struggle with this. I don't want to cause them stress and worry (and God forbid something happens to me and I cause them profound grief), but I am just not willing to give up this thing I love so much.

Using the argument that I could die doing anything, including driving my car does not seem to work. She just says that driving is a neccessary risk, but skydiving is not - which is true. I am out of arguments. [:/]

I only have 3 1/2 months in the sport and a little over 100 jumps.

That is awesome Alli ... keep up the good work. Your family may or may not understand this, but you are very current with your skydiving and unless you're doing stupid things (which I'd be willing to guess that you're not), then you're less likely to get hurt in many circumstances as opposed to the skydiver who only jumps once a month.

but I am just not willing to give up this thing I love so much.

Unless you're taking care of little children (are you?) it's okay to be a little selfish with your life in terms of doing things which bring you so much joy. I mean after all it is your life right? Go live it the way you want to live it. Everybody must die, but not everybody lives. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Thanks Canuck. No, no kids. But that's another thing my entire family says to me all the time: "I can't wait until you get married and have kids so you'll stop skydiving.", like that's a given or something. Honestly, I do struggle with that idea too. Should you, as a parent, willingly subject yourself to something risky that's not necessary? Is that selfish?

Well, I guess I'm not having kids.;)

1/2 months in the sport and a little over 100 jumps

Great job!!! :)

She goes as far as to call me selfish and inconsiderate for making my family worry about me.

And, it is inconsiderate of her to ask you to quit doing something you love.

driving is a necessary risk, but skydiving is not

No, driving is not a necessary risk. You can walk or ride a bicycle.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

"I can't wait until you get married and have kids so you'll stop skydiving."

HMMM>>>>

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8733;

Doesn't work that way. This one has been at the DZ since he was 2 weeks old. Mommy jumps, daddy jumps and even pa-pa jumped.

Last weekend he said to me as I was gearing up "Curran fly daddy's airplane?"
He'll have to wait a while since he's not quite 2 yet.

For me I feel pressure from my family even if they don't outrightly express it....I know they worry every day I'm jumping.
The problem is that acccidents do happen and we just hope we are safe and sensible enough for it not to happen to us. But hey, we also hope that we're not the one that contracts an illness....Or has a driving accident. But it does happen to someone...
I know my family worry and I totally appreciate the fact that they have never asked me to stop, despite knowing people who have died skydiving:(
I would not stop jumping though and if I could speak to those who are no longer here I'm sure they'd want me to keep jumpin;)

whether I was being unfair to my son (nine years old) by increasing the risk of him losing his father while he is still young.

Speaking as someone who made about 50 jumps while pregnant, I'd have to say that as long as you're careful, the increased risk of losing you to skydiving isn't huge. However, there is definitely a risk of your spending less and less time with him because of skydiving -- and he deserves better than that.

Your family is important, and skydiving is time-consuming. That's a tough combination, unless they can share the time with you somehow.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

a qoute worked for me & my mother..

"life is not measured best by the number of breaths you take, but instead by the number of moments your breathe is taken away."

ask them if they would rather you live 80 years of dull, flat existance, or 20 of full out enjoyment and experience? then you have to explain to them that life without skydiving IS dull and flat..

death comes for everyone, dont spend your life waiting for her...

***paraphrased from C&H
"today for show and tell i've brought a snowflake in..each one beautiful and unique, unlike any other formed before or after, but when i bring it inside it becomes a simple drop of water..so while that analogy sinks in i'm leaving you drips for the outside" B|

Wendy, you make a very good point. The temptation (and sometimes outside pressure) to be at the DZ more than one should is something I am keenly aware of. (Did I mention it's taken me two jump seasons to get to 65 jumps -- OK, let the discussion of the relationship among currency, experience, and safety begin.) My family is first and foremost in my life, and so I limit my jumping to at most a single afternoon per week (when many dads may be out playing golf or fishing with their pals). I'm more than happy to forego time at the DZ to keep the balance in my life even if it means that I'm forever the dorky middle-aged skydiver that's never asked on 8-ways. (Well, I guess I CAN'T remain middle-aged, although I do seem to think I can remain an adolescent forever.)

my girliegirl worries all day till i call her after last jump of the day , still she knows ill never stop. id been jumping hard long b4 i met her, and she knew. 6years later and married, shes starting to use the "but youd make such a good father, you dont even know.......wouldnt you want a kid to bring to the dz with you? " akkkkkkk.....a kid...... tryin to scamm me into it that way

Ive had some pressure from my immediate family about jumping but they know the personality that i have and that im going to do what makes me happy.My wife went through the first jump class did her jump and said that she didnt want to continue to jump she understood why i jumped and she wouldnt say anything more to me about it.now she tells me to go take a flying leap and says "honey thats a good thing" i was stressed out last week and my loving mother at 70 years of age asked me when was the last time you jumped? I said saturday she then said ok well if you are jumping you are ok. now how cool is that? oh by the way my lovely little bride of 9 years just bought me a new mirage g3 with a new reserve and new cypress.have i got it made or what? ***if you are going to be stupid you better be tough

Thanks -- and I hope your wife understands that you're putting your family first, while taking care of some of your own needs too. Both are important.

Good luck on the jumping. If you have a family dropzone, can you get your wife and son out (preferably with a friend or two)? It might make it a little more understandable.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

you are right - I am the one that has got to choose and accept my dessicions.
Like I said earlier, I really do enjoy skydiving, and have learned from my friends lesson ( BE extra careful, never become complacent)
I suppose I really needed to just let out how I was feeling, and also to see that other ppl have the same / similar situations.
I know that is only because of love that ppl are concerned and because of love I think they will accept what I love to do.
Thanks for all the advise
...... RESPEC ...........