mnischalke

D License Deadline

I have some safety concerns about racing to get there

What kind of safety concerns could there be because someone jumps more frequently? I don't see it as rushing as just jumping more often. With 60 jumps to go and only jumping every once in a while I doubt I'll make it but if I could jump more often then I would and even try to get in some weekday jumps.

The only thing I can think of right now is someone trash packing to make a load on Sept 28th.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I got my D back in 1980, when the Feds briefly granted permits for El Capitan. A D license was req'd for the permit. There was such a rush of "expedited" applications that USPA eventually threw up their hands and said "enough already, you'll get your D when you get it". I was lucky enough to get mine quickly, got my permit and legally jumped the rock.

It seems almost laughable nowadays to think that anyone with 200 jumps could be deemed an "expert". But back in the fifites or whenever it was, 200 jumps was a lot. I mean the first baton pass was when, 1962 or something ? A lot has happened in forty years. I know I'm no expert just because I hold a D. I'm just coming back from many years away and I have so much to learn about the new squares, and all this vertical hip-hop skydiving. I feel like a student all over again and am loving it !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Im in no hurry.....however seeing I need 6 jumps and 2 night jumps....I will have it done shortly.

Just as a note, I have averaged just over 100 jumps a year.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I rushed it so I could jump into my wedding. Had all of the jump numbers/requirements, just not the water training and I hadn't looked at my SIM in seven years. All is well, got a 100 on the B 100 on the C and 100 on the D and my wedding is a go!

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

It dont matter if you get 200 skydives in two years or two months. You will still have 200 jumps worth of experience. I want and will make my 200th before the deadline, and alot were hop-n-pops. I will still fulfill what USPA considered an expert, even though I know im not close to being an expert.

Post: It dont matter if you get 200 skydives in two years or two months. You will still have 200 jumps worth of experience

I totally disagree. Time in sport means alot. I have learned just as much standing around the fire or listening to our bartender as I have in the air.I know a guy who came out and did a shit load of jumps in a very short time, blew his wad so to speak.He never took the time to listen to people around him, he just thought his jump numbers should speak for themselves.I promise you they don't.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

It's balls to the wall to get my D license before it goes up. I'm doing 40 of them on my birhtday in August! Yeeeeeeeehaaaaawwww!!!

The secret to life is not arriving at the grave in a well preserved body but sliding in sideways completely worn out yelling "holy crap" what a ride!!!

I mean the first baton pass was when, 1962 or something?

Courtesy of www.scr-awards.com

First 10 Man Baton Pass
May 15, 1966
Arvin, California

Al Walters
Jerry Bird
Tommy Owens
Joe McKinney
Terry Ward
Al Paradowski
Bill Stage
Don Bradley
Jim Dann
Bob Buquor

I have 106 jumps and my goal is to get 200 by Sept 30, which will probably involve rushing. I was wondering though, what are the safety concerns about rushing? I thought the more current you are, the better.

Alli, you've got 15 weeks to do 94 jumps at an average of a little over 6 jumps/weekend. That's not too bad. Yes you will have to be dedicated (and healthy) to achieve this goal. But it is very doable (there should be times when you get 6+ jumps in 1 day). I personally believe that currency means a lot (especially when it comes to landing) in this sport. But jumping when you're really tired can be trouble in some cases. So it's ok to step back once in a while and miss a load. This last weekend I did 22 jumps in 3 days, and I was happy not to be jumping come Monday and my very last jump on Sunday was a hop n' pop as I was burnt out with full altitude jumps by that time. But weather permitting I'll be back at the DZ this weekend pounding them out again (likely not anything near 22 jumps though).

Good luck with your jumps ... ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I hear you Canuck- I didn't think about jumping when you're metally or physically tired. Probably not the safest thing. Luckily I am healthy (knock on wood) and feel sure I can get these jumps in without exhausting myself. My wallet may disagree though. :P

currently i have 154 jumps and im plannin on gettin 200 in by the end of september the only problem that im hitting right now is that thing called money so that is why im doing hop 'n pops i have all the requirements met so all i have to do is get the jump numbers good luck to all you tryin for it

I don't think no one should rush into getting ratings for the sake of it. So what if someone does not get to a D Lic. before sept? I don't personally see any difference as long as you get the experience, at a safe pace. Just my $ 0.02...

Blue skies!
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I'm holding out and trying to be the first to get their D under the NEW rules...

I may just wait and apply for my C after 9/30 just for the hell of it..

I'm the same as Cornholio, I'll have the #'s regardless. I do think the "D" is meaningless at this point. A C means more to me under the new rules than a D does. Be serious, what's it get me? another #? I'm not going to be competing anytime soon, and it's not like I'm going to get any more respect for having a D or something...

Maybe that'll change....

Uh, it isn't like they are starting the D#s over again are they? What will the difference be?

"oo i got my D# when they required 500 jumps instead of 200"

?

I'm with you Rat - People look at me all the time 10 years in the sport and only 500 jumps to boot. I went through three major injuries during those ten years. Just the fact that I have been around the sport for ten years and think about it all the time is worth alot. I can still get on a smoakin 8 way and hold my own only averaging 45 jumps a year over the past two years. You learn alot from listening to people, visualizing (i.e. daydreaming at work), and just being exposed to the saftey factors...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Can someone please tell me what the benefit is of having a D license anyway?

My husband and I both have over 200 jumps and he's close to 500 - we both have all the requirements except a night RW, but have both made a couple of night jumps for fun. We've just never seen any good reason to go any further than the B license. I think it's a joke anyway - there's people out there with like 20,000 jumps and yet we're all going to have D licenses - why bother?
Rhonda
PP ASEL

I have 276 jumps right now.

I am in no hurry to get my D License.

There is nothing that a D license will get me that I need right now.

I really just need my night jumps. I will do them when I feel ready. My guess is that will be AFTER September 30. And that is fine with me.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

... been eligible for my 'D' for sometime but I'm waiting on my DZ to schedule night jumps. doesn't matter anyway, i leave for Eloy next month -- WOOHOO!

kindof stupid that my previous jumps 'at night' didn't count as 'night jumps' because i didn't have a briefing before hand... go figure but rules are rules.

blue ones,

jg
"dude, where's my main?"

I've got my D and almost 700 jumps. The only reason I can think of for having more than a C is to get ratings. Other than that, it seems C-license holders can jump any time D-license holders can. Some of the DZs I've been to will ground As and Bs in higher winds but let Cs and Ds go if they want. Also, some DZs designate landing areas by license but also they usually group As and Bs together and then Cs and Ds together. Is there something I am missing?
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Can someone please tell me what the benefit is of having a D license anyway?

Here is what USPA says:

Persons holding a USPA D license are able to exercise all privileges of a C license holder, participate in certain demonstration jumps, are eligible for all USPA ratings...

I think people would like the option of making certain demo jumps while between 200 and 500 jumps. Somebody mentioned jumping into a wedding... I've had my D for a couple years but still have less than 500 jumps.

--------
Benefitting from the 'free capture of verticality.'