does anyone NOT get nervous when they jump?

I'm usually more nervous on my first jump of the weekend or the day. After that I seem to be much more relaxed. I am still always very aware of everything going on around me.

Patrick
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

Yeah, climbing to a safe altitude makes my nerves go away. I have less than a dozen jumps and for whatever reason, I have no nerves at all on jump run.

The sensations of takeoff cause an involuntary nervous reaction though - damn little planes :)

Nerves getting in the plane, yes. That's more to do with running over what I need to achieve for the AFF stage though - "heightened awareness", if you like, but I get that running out onto the netball court too. The actual climbing out part though... that was scary the first couple of times I guess but not even a tingle any more.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

;)Newbie,

Beating the devil is why we do this. Anyone who states they no longer get a case of the "nerves" is either filling you with BS or should take up bowling. We become "comfortable" with a certain level of risk after a period but, add tasks or increase the work load and the old devil sneaks up again. You learn to control and harness the energy it creates. Skydiving is very much a mental sport. (translates to drug)

I still get down from many skydives with the old adrenaline "shakes" a cooking,and a big grin on my face. If it stops, I'll stop. If I no longer "respect the risk" (some times called fear) and manage it or, tell you it does not happen to me (translates to "who me?" also called denial) you can buy my rigs cheap.

Don't you just hate those macho skydivers..........
who let the girls in anyway????

Oops........ sorry honey.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

I was fine on my first jump, ironically enough. But every jump since then I've been scared shitless. In fact, on my Level 4, I was so nervous that I ALMOST didn't want to jump... I said ALMOST ;)

Remember when sex was safe, and skydiving was dangerous?

J.E., I agree. The fear diminishes and/or you control it. You dare to call it a drug (we just pretend we need it, really we can stop any time)!
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

:)
You bet I do. It's as addicting as any drug around and can treat you the same if you do not control it.
Harry, I've tried quiting once. I'm sure I'll try again. Life needs a balance to be peaceful and skydiving is one of the great balancers. (we just think we can quit) Hey there is a new company in the making!
"Skydivers Anonymous" Drop in anytime!

I used to tell people it was better than sex, but my wife kept beating me up!

Have fun up there on the 4th boogie. Tell Chris, Rook, Missy, David, Nanette, and Kirk I'm still thinking about them. Made it up for Roger's last jump and to give them all a hug.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

My first jump instructor told me that he was nervous on every jump. He had about 1100 jumps at that time. He also said that the day that a person stops getting nervous they should quit jumping. I take good care of my gear. I do thorough and frequent gear checks on myself and others in the plane. As an instructor I teach safety procedures weekly, keeping myself very current in these matters. I don't get nervous anymore, but I don't feel that it makes me less safe than the person who is. People get hurt in auto accidents everyday, but I don't get nervous when I drive.

Rick

never pull low......unless you are

The most nervous I ever was had to be when they opened the door on the Cessna on my first jump and I had to "Climb all the way out and hang!" It's funny because I was scared of fallingwhile climbing out there... But once I checked in and looked up, I let go.

Still the most nervous I get is usually when I think I could "fall out." Like sitting on the way end of the bench on the Skyvan with my foot over that gap or trying to latch the door up, or even sitting next to the open Otter door during climb with my seatbelt off. If the airplane yaws a little too much and makes me lean towards the door, my heart definitely quickens.

Sometimes in turbulence the stall horn on a Cessna will honk for a second. If I'm flying, it doesn't phase me, I just correct it but if I'm a jumper, I flinch big time.

I actually feel a little relief when it's time to jump every time. I guess that's the 'control freak aspect' of wanting to be pilot-in-command. Once it's my turn to get out...I'm in my own hands again.

--------
Benefitting from the 'free capture of verticality.'

Anyone who states they no longer get a case of the "nerves" is either filling you with BS or should take up bowling.

I don't know about that. At least, not the bowling part :P

Not everyone jumps for the thrill and the adrenaline - I know I don't, and I'm just a newbie. Some people do it because it's the most beautiful thing they can think of to do with their time. Flying, freedom, space...

clouds...

Ahh.

I do get a spike of adrenaline, but that's at deploy time. The real fun happens before that in freefall, and after it in canopy.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Alot of people keep telling that if you don't get nervous you'd better quit skydiving (for safety reasons). I disagree!!!

It's like saying: If you're not nervous driving your car you are less safe. I don't see that. Usually fear WILL make you more carefull because you don't wanna die, but I don't see fear as an absolute requirement for safety.

You know you are persuing in a dangerous activity so you should be CAREFULL all the time (both in driving a car and skydiving) but that doesn't mean having NO fear makes you less carefull. I haven't been scared in my car for years but that doesn't mean I'm less carefull!

Personally I'm more nervous when driving to the DZ and when boarding the plane because that's when I'm thinking about it all. But once in the plane and up the ride to altitude I'm less nervous... Little nervous again when the door opens but the second I leave the plane it's gone...

just be safe everybody

With little over 900 jumps, I don't really get nervous unless it is something new (Freefly, very large group, or a military{night, combat, mass attack, round}. But once I get out and "DOWN" safely, the adrenalin kicks in and all is good. When I get that little "FEELING", I go over the whole jump in my head and think of the "What if". Emergency procedures, deployment, count, and just about anything else that can go wrong. This way, if it does, I have a little "Clue" as to what to do.
Airborne
Airborne
Blue Skies, No Wind
Feet and Knees Together

I get nervous just thinking about it! I was nervous during AFF and then I got a bit confident and wasn't so nervous, but from about 40 jumps onwards learnt so much about the sport, that I am now healthily nervous again.

As soon as I am walking towards the door, I am no longer nervous.

Depends on how you define nervous. I wasn't nervous before my first 30 or so jumps, I was flat out scared. It didn't ramp down to what I'd call simple "nerves" until I had 50 or so jumps.

Now I get some "nerves" before every jump, usually on jump run. If you watch me you can tell when I start stressing - I'll close my eyes and start breathing deep in an attempt to reduce my stress level. Once we're in the line up I'm fine again... until I'm under canopy.

First jump back after a layoff brings up the butterflies, as does any jump where I'm doing something new, jumping with someone whose skill I'm not sure about, or in weather conditions I'm scared of (dust devils!).

Butterflies are good. They remind us that what we're doing is dangerous.

Funny, a tandem student asked me that exact same question yesterday.
I replied "Yes I still get nervous after 2400 tandems and 4100 total jumps. I am 99% sure of myself and my equipment, but I never know what the student is going to do! Hah! Hah!"

i seem to be ONLY nervous (but like SUPER nervous) in the door. not under canopy. thats where i feel best. i have 6 jumps - am i nuts?

Nawww, you just don't know enough to be nervous at the right things yet. ;)

Usually the worst thing that happens in the door is you leave early or late. Either way, you're falling off the plane at some point. There -are- other things to actually worry about in the door, but I have a feeling you're not talking about those yet.

However, under canopy a lot of different things can go wrong. Still nothing to ususally get "nervous" about. Just learn to deal with them as best you can.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

thats what i figured... ignorance is bliss in a way...;) BUT i read everything i can especially about canopy/collision/landing incidents and mals and what not... i'd be interested in you expanding on doorways especially and anything else you might share with an AFF-er (ha that was funny there...)

I think it all comes down to definitions.

I would not jumps if I would have a fear for it, nor would I jump if I would be scared, For me, these are things that spell danger and marginal performance. If thats the case, then it is better to stay away and concentrate on dirt jump until the feeling goes away.

Jumping certainly feels different than going to supermarket.... so what is it?

I do not think that it is being nervous. For me it is more like anticipation, heightened awareness and high concentration. I think it all winds down to definition, but in the end we are all talking of the same feeling. Otherwise they would have guys charging 15 USD fees at supermarket entrances. :P

Cheers: JL

P.S. I am a total newbie in this thing and certainly not in a position to run my mouth as I had a minor fracture on my leg following a landing mistake on my second jump. Cheap lesson and shit happens.

Few weeks more and I am back to shore ready to continue from where I left. Nervous....BS.... but already having this tingling feeling of anticipation. :)