Kramer

Jumping In The Military

I am a 19 year old college student majoring in Criminal Justice. In a few years, once I have my degree, I am considering joining the military for four years to boulster my resume for trying to get into the FBI. Since taking up skydiving, I've been wondering if I would like doing it in the military, which leads me to ask a few questions:

1.) Do you think that jumping in the military would make me lose my passion for skydiving? Like, would it turn from a hobby into more of a job?

2.) Take something like the "Golden Knights" or a squad of equal prestige. Can you just get right into a group like that with only 100 or so civilian jumps? Anyone who has been in the GK, let me know what the entry requirements/standards are for such a thing.

3.) What would you do? Do you recommend jumping in the military in one way or another?

Anyone who has jumped in the military, your thoughts are greatly appreciated. Of course, so are the thoughts of you civilians too. :)
Thanks.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

1.) Do you think that jumping in the military would make me lose my passion for skydiving? Like, would it
turn from a hobby into more of a job?

Not anymore than doing anything is skydiving full time can burn you out.

2.) Take something like the "Golden Knights" or a squad of equal prestige. Can you just get right into a
group like that with only 100 or so civilian jumps? Anyone who has been in the GK, let me know what the
entry requirements/standards are for such a thing.

The GK's require 150 jumps (Which can be waived) to attend the tryout program. The program is 3-6 weeks long and you will do almost 200 jumps. I have seen guys with 100 jumps enter and make the program...While I know a guy that had 1500 not make it (me). The tryout program used to be a hazing like pledging a collage...Like 100 fold. It reportedly has been changed more to a performance not "put up with Bull Shit" program.

There are only two other Army teams that I know of (Other than THE Army team)..They are the 82nd Demo team, and the 101st.

3.) What would you do? Do you recommend jumping in the military in one way or another?

If you are planning to go into the military...I'd say try like hell to jump while you are there. Get stationed at Ft. Bragg if you can, and go to tryouts for the GK's.

Don't join just to tryout..Been there, done that, didn't make it.

But I HATED the military...and it was clear to everyone that I didn't belong there. And some people knew I didn't want to be there and went out of their way to make my life bad. Glad I did it...even more glad I'm out. You may really like the Army...And that I bet makes a big difference.

Your results may vary.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron, awesome reply. I really appreciate it.

So long as we're talkin, would you classify it as "hard" to get into the Golden Knights? Like, roughly what percentage of people who try out actually get in? Oh, also, are the GK simply a demo team, or are they trained for combat too?

Thanks again for the great response.

Anyone else got any advice?

-Kramer

[replyThere are only two other Army teams that I know of (Other than THE Army team)..They are the 82nd Demo team, and the 101st.

Don't forget the other services have demo teams as well -

There are the Navy Leap Frogs and I forget what the Air Force team is called.

I don't think the Marines have one. We never did like that showy crap - all business we are B|

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

There are the Navy Leap Frogs and I forget what the Air Force team is called.

I didnt't forget the Frogs....But I only know about the Army teams.

The Airforce used to have the (I think) Chuting Stars..But I have never met one, or heard anything other than rumors about it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Do you guys know anything about the difficulty/requirements of getting into these other demo teams in the other branches? I like knowing the Navy has one. I'd rather join the Navy than the Army, no offense.

-Kramer

I'd rather join the Navy than the Army, no offense

Think about the % of people who jump in the Navy vs. the number that jump in the Army... Navy is either EOD or Seals that jump (maybe one or two other MOS's)... but your chances are slim in getting a shot at the team...

That said, you stated that you wanted to join to bolster your resume so you had a shot at the FBI... if that is the only reason, you ought to be looking at ROTC while you are in college and go in as an officer, more specifically as an Intel officer. General military experiance looks good on a resume, but in no way is a primer for the FBI.

And like Ron said, don't join with the hope/intent of getting on the team, that is just 2-3 years of your hitch, and there are not alot of units that are going to give the brand spankin' new SP4 a chance to go to tryouts.

Josh (7 years in the Army, 2 of them as a recruiter)
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

If your joining the military just to jump your in for a great disappointment. There is more to it than jumping, your agreeing to defend and serve your country first and foremost.

Jumping is a means of infiltration, a way to get to the fight. There is nothing fun about jumping in the military, it is strictly business. Try straping on a tandem rig and then an additional 120 lbs of equipment and boarding an A/C and flying around in the dark so that you can fall out the door once, and that's if your HALO. If your static line your have much of the same except your jam packed like a sardine into a A/C and your exiting with a 100 other people, all under rounds and all of them are trying to steer for the same turn in point. It makes the WFFC landing area look like a cake walk. Don't join because you want to be on the knights. What happens if you don't make the knights? This isn't like any other job you've had, you just can't decide to quit and move on, you have a contractual obligation to serve and your looking at a minimum of 3 years.

Join because you want to serve your country and because it's something that you want to do regardless of your other motives. Otherwise you will be one of the many disinfranchised individuals walking around mumbling about "I just joined for the college" and hating life. Besides, the FBI isn't going to be really impressed if you joined the Army and spent most of that time on the GK team. Pad your resume but be aware of what you are getting yourself into, this is the deep end of the pool and big boy rules apply.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The Leap Frogs are the Navy team, but are comprised solely (unless this has changed) of SEALS who are assigned there off of the teams or NSWG assignements. That said, you must first be a SPECWAR guy.

The Golden Knights is the Army's primary aerial demonstration team. Same category as the AF Thunderbirds or Navy Blue Angels. ALL of the other military skydiving teams fall into lower tiers; some have full time members, others are only partly staffed with full-timers. The USASOC team, USSOCOM team, and 82nd team fall into the "partly full-time" category. By that, I mean that only the Team Leader, the rigger, and possibly a couple of other "padded" individuals call the team room their normal place of business.

The Golden Knights accepts applicants from all branches of the military. There are Infantry guys, french horn players, admin clerks, and Special Forces operators. Once accepted to the team, the members are still required to attend their carreer advancement schools, but no, they don't do any "real" army training when they are assigned there. Conversely, members of the "other" army teams, once accepted, make as many demos as their "real" job permits.

Chuck

You have received great advice from everyone here and from some of the best resources available on the planet regarding military jumping.

I would ask that you re-visit your primary objective - going into the FBI. Having a military background may or may not "bolster" your resume for consideration by the Bureau.

If you choose to go into the military, it must be for the reason that LouDiamond states - to serve and protect your country. And, you must be prepared to fight in combat and willing to die for that service. That is the only contractual obligation for putting on the pickle suit. Any personal or professional agendas other than that is going to bite you on the butt.

I would strongly encourage you to start with your objective (the FBI) and work backwards. Contact their offices in DC. Talk with their recruiters. Its my understanding that in most cases, they look for advanced degrees in law and/or accounting.

If you're going to go in a direction, shoot an azimuth in the direction you want to go... any deviations from that azimuth is going to put you in the wrong place.

I am currently in the Air Force and know that the Air Force team is called the Wings of Blue. They teach cadets at the Air Force Academy in a basic jump course and also do Demo's and competitions. To get into this team you need atleast 200 jumps or more and multpile ratings to compete with the other applicants. I have been in contact with one of the people on the team and they gave me some information but not everything. Other than that the only other way to jump in the Air Force is through Special Ops.

am currently in the Air Force and know that the Air Force team is called the Wings of Blue.

Thats the Airforce Academy's team. And the members on the team come from the students...And they learn there at the academy.

The STAFF need ratings...The Members on the team don't..they earn them there.

I was one of the comp teams RW coaches last year.

Ron

I think I can tell you a little something about the FBI and their qualifications.

I was commissioned in 1996 into the Army. Army and college degree should be good for the FBI, right?

WRONG! The FBI looks for more than that. Sure, it's a plus, but you need to go into something else and have other practical experience. So, I followed the recommendation and I went to law school so I could join the FBI. Turned out I loved being a litigator, so FBI no more.

If you want to be in the FBI:
1) Get experience as a cop. Four or five years, hopefully.
2) Get a law degree. THis is th emost expensive route.
3) The cheapest and fastest way is to be, of all things, an accountant. They do a lot of white collar stuff, and accountant backgrounds are very helpful to get into the FBI. Get a couple of years of background in that and then apply. They'll snatch you up if you keep your nose clean.

Also, by being a civilian, you can fun jump whenever you want and not be subject to KP on a sunny weekend.

p.s. I'll paraphrase Lou Diamond and say that, for the most part, the military takes most of the fun out of jumping.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Thanks for the clarification! I did not get all the info on the team.

The "other" Airforce team is "the chuting stars" and it is filled with PJ's and CCT guys. They hold their tryouts and do yearly training at NAS Boca Chica in Florida, seven miles from Key West. When our C-130 broke down about two years ago on one of my many KW trips, they let me borrow their C-17 for a HALO lift. I took myself and four other people up to 12,999 and JM'd the lot of us off the ramp. Five people.......nice

I had the chance to train with the 101st Demo team a couple of years ago. As many free jumps from a Blackhawk as I could do. It was 95 degress, and no shade, these guys were hardcore. Jump pack, pack jump......all day. I was used to doing it just for fun, these guys kicked my ass!! And we'd partied the night before. I'm sure the Knights are the same but worse. I had my first cutaway there on their gear, which wasn't bad, plus the helo picked me up out of some farmers driveway. It was worth all the funny looks this old chunky Air Force Reservist got from the Army guys who didn't know me!

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

If your long-term goal is the FBI, then focus your military carreer on military police or intelligence. Maybe take some night-school courses in accounting.
Unless you are assigned to an airborne unit, jumping should remain a sideline. Besides the military manages to take the fun out of jumping: rucksack, rifle, snowshoes, long hikes, sleeping in swamps, etc.
Far wiser to get an intel job and jump on weekends.
Oh and only enlist as an officer. The lower ranks get treated like sh*t!

The "other" Airforce team is "the chuting stars" and it is filled with PJ's and CCT guys. They hold their tryouts and do yearly training at NAS Boca Chica in Florida, seven miles from Key West. When our C-130 broke down about two years ago on one of my many KW trips, they let me borrow their C-17 for a HALO lift. I took myself and four other people up to 12,999 and JM'd the lot of us off the ramp. Five people.......nice

Where can I find info about these guys concerning tryouts, etc.

I will call my buddy, Stanimal and ask him. He went three years ago.

Chucky,
No reason to. The Air Force STARS (the official name) has been shelved due to the war(s) and lack of guys (they're too busy dealing death). The team was made up exclusively of Combat Controllers and Pararescuemen. It should get restarted upon termination of "activities."

See you tonight for cockatilio's (unless the Ranch deluxe is rockin').

Tim
Maggot:ph34r: