cvfd1399

Can i become a skydiver?

If you have the $$$...there is always a way!!!....Ive seen several posts asking about larger ppl finding a DZ to accomodate them...but havent seen a lot of pos feedback[:/]....once you get your A lic....there will be no prob in you going solo....just need a bigger rig/canopy...the problem would be in getting started...hopefully one of the regs with infinate more experiance then myself will come and provide you with some helpful info.

Best of luck and Blue Skies B|

I believe most Drop Zone Operators put a limit on wieght that is based on the size of the reserves in their student rigs. (local DZ here is 220#) However, as DenRen and Michaelflying say; "where there is $$, there is a way." Para-Flite makes the largest reserve I know of;http://www.paraflite.com/html/mc5.html; the 370', MT-1X.(don't know if it is 0/p-they do have 0/p 308'R)This should put you under student wing load max. Their rigs are convertable from S/L too. Another rig solution could be a tandem container, I would contact;http://www.relativeworkshop.com/-You might want to run a search of:username; billbooth , I think he has posted on this subject. When you get your ducks lined up go to local DZ & talk to the DZO. Would love to know how it turns out-Good Luck!

You need to contact Gold Coast Skydivers in Moss Point, Mississippi. They have an AFF rig for "Big Boys." I don't know what the weight limit is, but I know that people have come from VERY far away to learn to jump at Gold Coast because they have the equipment. The staff there could give you an idea, and there are a lot of jumpers from the Baton Rouge area who are regular fun jumpers. :$

Hi Chad....not quite as big as you ! but deffo over the average....like you...not fat...just big....have completed AFF with no problems...and am at that 'got to get a rig' fork in the road....good thing is...all the light people are advised to buy second hand as they will prob be looking at downsizing in a year or so....bigger people will always be recommended for bigger canopies and rigs...so dont make that much difference from what you jump to learn....therefore Im buying all new from the off as I guess I'll be living with it for a while !
Hope it works out for you....and hell at least during relative work you wont even have to THINK about increasing fall rate....lol !

hey, Chad...

Why not read through this Thread by Atsaubrey? Also, maybe run a search for his posts. He's very recently been through the same search you have, but you won't have to travel so far from Baton Rouge to Moss Point MS...he went from CA there.

Hope this helps. And you know what? If you believe you can, you will find a way to do it. And make sure we all hear about it!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Go to the individual dropzones in person and ask them. Definitely do not get discouraged if one DZ says no - just go to another one. There will always be a DZ that is willing to accept your circumstances, which aren't that unusual BTW. Heck, I've had friends learn to jump that were blind, physically impaired, under 18, etc. Bottom line is although there are some rules and lots of guidelines, individual dropzones can accommodate just about any person. You just have to find one that will help you.