gatorbait

If you have ever rode the plane down...

In 1995 I was on my 15 sec. delay static-line training jump. Needles to say I was a typical nervous student. We got to my exit altitude opened the door and there were some clouds over the exit point. My jm wanted to do a slow go around to give them time to pass. We closed he door and flew for about 10 minutes. That was the most nerve racking 10 minutes of my life, and I do admit that I began to wish they wouldn't pass so I'd have a way out of jumping. I then realized where I was allowing my mind to go and focused on the climbout, dive flow, and my landing pattern. It really helped because I did have a good satisfactory jump. I have rode the plane down sense, but it was due to my student not being able to use this method to overcome the same anxieties that I have had also.

Jumpervali sl, tandem, aff-i

I rode the plane down on what would have been my category C-2 jump (or level 4). I did well on my 1st three jumps but got really nervous in the plane before this jump. It just didn't feel right for whatever reason. I think it was a combination of things: I hadn't jumped in 2 weeks, I was learning to spot (the door freaks me out), and it was to be the first jump with one instructor. I felt like a jackass afterwards - but I was far too nervous to jump. I'm sure if I could have gotten myself out the door I would have been fine, but, I made the decision to ride the plane down.

I want to add what Jess failed to mention. After she was done beating herself up, she talked it out with her instructors about all her doubts and she has been back to the dz to pump her instructors for any information she needed to boost her confidence. She's a fighter and she is going to kick ass as she progresses in AFF.

I also think she now has a new motivation...she doesn't want me to pass her in the levels.;)

Jess, I look forward to dancing with you in the sky.:)
Chris

A couple of times due to weather. Once, a first jump static line student had his main deploy and it tore a chunk out of the starboard horizontal stabilizer(cessna 182). I still had two SL students on board and after a brief discussion with the pilot, we all rode the plane back down.

I've ridden it down twice...once because I couldn't get into the door, and once because of winds.

That's not counting the several times I just couldn't get onto the plane in the first place...and then there was the time I went to the DZ, rented equipment, and did an observer ride because I didn't know the DZ and was too freaked to spot alone...so I rode with the pilot, and he pointed out landmarks, even turning the plane sideways (after the jumpers were gone) to show me the big, gigantic X (which can, I think, be seen from the moon....:S)...which is what I look for now.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Twice I do believe. Once out a Williston Boogie, and CASA pilots are not going to risk getting license revoked over some skydivers. 2nd was in the Otter. We were up doing AFF practice dives, The clouds were thick but we trusted GPS, AFF went down, the 2 people I was up with opted not to jump also, so I stayed in too. The tandem got out and so did the lone freeflyer, both had perfect spots. Its weird to feel coming down with the plane. Once we got on the ground we switch airplanes to the cessna, and went up and did out 3,5 exit practice for AFF.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

3 times that I can recall. One when I leaned forward and accidentally snagged the reserve handle of a guy on my left. I stayed with him to make sure between the two of us his chute didnt go out the door. Once when training the Special Forces of Ecuador, one of their men forgot his helmet and reserve chute, so I gace him mine. I had thought perhaps I'd jump with only the main, bit Iwas supposed to be setting a good example, so I stayed in the aircraft. and a thirds time when we got to 21,500 feet in a B26 Marauder. We didnt have sufficient oxygen so I told everyone to stay on board and ordered the pilot to make a quick descent. Some of the guys wanted to jump once we got to 10,000, but it was my responsibility, so I told them we land with the plane and they all did. :D

I've ridden it down once. My allergies were acting up a little, but I didn't think it would be too bad. At about 10 grand, I wound up with a gusher of a nosebleed, so I figured it could not possibly be good for me to have that fast of a pressure change with my nose bleeding. I also did not want to bleed all over myself on a hop and pop. Best compromise was to ride it down.

The ride down hurt like hell because my ears could not equalize due to my nose being full of blood. I am 100% positive that I would have damaged my eardrums in freefall had I gone.

It was my only "observer ride."

Brent

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

I also think she now has a new motivation...she doesn't want me to pass her in the levels

It's not a race my friend. :P But, thanks for that. I do feel more confident in what I have learned after reviewing everything yesterday.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

I've ridden the plane down twice.

The first time was pretty straightforward: AFF level 2, overcast day, the plane couldn't get above 6,000 ft. I rode the plane down with one AFF/I, the other one jumped.

The second time just over a week ago was seriously messed up. We were at about 10,000 feet when the pilot turned his head back and shouted something that got passed down the plane: is there anyone with a Square One Infinity? It has a 150 in it, not a 200+. Well, I was jumping a Square One Infinity and no one else was. It didn't FEEL like it had a 150 in it, but since I'd never worn that rig before I wasn't 100%. I normally jump a 210. I rode the plane down.

When I got back to the gear shop, I found out that the message had been seriously garbled--I had the right chute. Some other guy on the load had grabbed someone's personal rig instead of the Square One Vector he was supposed to be using. He jumped. He landed OK, though he apparently slid.

It all worked out OK for me too--manifest gave me a replacement jump ticket because the message had gotten screwed up. (I think it helped that the next load was really light). Then the guy who'd jumped the wrong rig felt bad for messing up my two way, so he bought me a ticket.

--MuddRoy

i've ridden the plane down a couple times due to weather, a number of times with a student and a time or two when i was the only jm at the dz and couldn't afford to waste time packing.

then there was teh one time that i rode the plane down for fear.

we have a 182, i was sitting behind the pilot, we're at bout 9k or so and all i hear was dave tell everyone "put on your seatbelts we're going down" the plane goes into a dive to the right, g's pick up, drool coming from people's mouths, then we leveled out... i was in tears, yes i admit it, i thought i was going to die that day. i hadn't heard the rest of the "we're going down" i had just assumed something had happen. we were going down because the clouds were closing in and REALLy quick! they managed to get 3000 and the 3 others go out. i was so shaken up that i didn't get out and rode the plane down...

communication is very important, especially if you have students in the plane. i wasn't a student, probably had 150 jumps or so.

remember fear is what keeps us honest
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

The second time just over a week ago was seriously messed up.

(story of possible wrong rig given to someone)

Actually, that was a really really great result. Yes, the message was garbled; but you landed safely, and you got a free jump out of the deal (I don't count the first one in some ways, although no one really owed it).

I'd consider thanking whoever sent the message up, and I'd definitely hang around and shoot the breeze after jumping with someone who puts safety above cool.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Once - many years ago in a C-206 (no door). Main container of a student open at 1500 feet (spring loaded PC) due to KAP (old ADD) mal function (as said this is 20+ years ago). Wild scramble by load to catch and subdue PC, lines, main before it could get out of door (like 3 guys sitting on that poor fellow :S). Pilot looked and his face turned a "whiter shade of pale" - and I have NEVER been so quickly back on the ground. :)
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Two times

First was Wind picked up on the ground so I could not do my level 6

Second was for a solo with my new gear before I had my A Lic Jumpmaster did a gear check at 10,000 and stupid me forgot to turn on my cypress and for that he made my ride the the plane back to the ground
-------------------------------------------------- If your not jumping your not living
LEARN TO LIVE (L2L)

By the way - who needs to turn off their CYPRESses if riding a plane down? Those with STUDENT CYPRES? or everybody?
My first (uninformed) answer would be YES, everyone should turn off, because nobody wants the reserve PC out of the container in the plane... But I believe the answer might change if we take into account a possible airplane emergency.
What are Airtec/s recommendations on this issue?

I'm not complaining about the result for me--I would have been OK with my decision to ride the plane down even if I'd had to swallow the cost of the jump ticket (jump ticket vs. femur, choice is clear).

What was messed up about the situation is that there actually WAS the guy with the wrong rig on the load, and HE jumped with a chute 70 ft^2 smaller than he expected!

By the way - who needs to turn off their CYPRESses if riding a plane down? Those with STUDENT CYPRES? or everybody? My first (uninformed) answer would be YES, everyone should turn off, because nobody wants the reserve PC out of the container in the plane... But I believe the answer might change if we take into account a possible airplane emergency.

The fall rate for Expert and Tandem CYPRES required to make them function, once they have armed themselves by climbing through 1500 FT AGL, is 115 Feet/Second. The fall rate setting for the Student CYPRES is much slower, 43 Feet/Second.

That being said, it's not necessary to turn off Expert/Tandem CYPRES to descend. Student CYPRES should however be turned off.

A current FXC 12000 and FXC Astra may want to chime in here with SOP for those devices.

What are Airtec/s recommendations on this issue?

Manufacturer's input here

Good questions. You may have been able to gain this info by searching the forums. Otherwise I'm glad to help.
Arrive Safely

John

I've seen it happen once and I've done it once. The first time I jumped the load before had two students who were just too scared to jump. I rode the plane down once because of engine trouble. We would have jumped but we were below 1000 feet.

I rode the plane down once when the clouds came in unexpectantly. My jumpmaster however did jump. Four students went down by themselves, two of them were first jump students doing static lines, one of them was on her 6th jump and I was on my 8th. Both of us were doing training ripcord pulls on static line as well. There was also another jumper, who had his A license that jumped out as well.

My jumpmaster just said "Cover your reserve, the whole way down" and left.