extremesport

Is Skydiving Risky?

Is Skydiving risky, or is it a claculated risk?

I am conducting a study into how people view risks, and greatly value the views of people how take "risks" for fun.
If you could visit the following page and fill in the short questionnaire your information will be added to the study.
http://www.strath.ac.uk/Departments/Psychology/questions/details.htm
If you would like to be notified of the results of the study you will be given the option of sending me your email address so I can forward a copy of the findings to you.
Thank you
Steve C-28944

its both! A calculated risk is inherently risky. Skydiving is inherently risky. It comes with the territory. I lot of people like to fool themselves by saying things like, "skydiving is safer than the drive on the highway to get there". I think thats just trying to fool yourself. Skydiving carries a great risk (splatting into the ground upwards of 100mph). Of course the return is very great. That's why people do it.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I have more close calls on my motorcycle than skydiving but yes, it is risky and on the same hand it's a calculated risk in my opinion. I also fly ultralights and that is in the same category...

The secret to life is not arriving at the grave in a well preserved body but sliding in sideways completely worn out yelling "holy crap" what a ride!!!

Any chance you could post your results here on the forums?

At the end of the questionair you get an option to be notified with the results.

------- SIGNATURE BELOW -------
Complete newbie at skydiving, so be critical about what I say!!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Cars are pretty unforgiving too...

I wonder if it would be possible to correlate the number of skydivers and fatalities, and the number of auto drivers and fatalities.... I'd also be curious to know how many of either type of accident involved being under the influence.

might be interesting...

[QUOTE]I wonder if it would be possible to correlate the number of skydivers and fatalities, and the number of auto drivers and fatalities.... I'd also be curious to know how many of either type of accident involved being under the influence.[/QUOTE]

there would be more people SPLATTING while skydiving than driving. ;)

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

When people comment to me that they wont skydive because it's too dangerous, I often tell them that if you skydive responsibly, it's probably more dangerous to drive to the DZ than it is to skydive.

Then you are doing them, and our sport, a huge disservice. Use the search function here on dz.com if you wish to dig deeper into this subject, it's been hashed out many times.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

On a per minute basis you are much more likely to die jumping out of a plane then in your car.

Skydiving is one of the more risky activities that one can engage in. If anyone believes differently then they need to start paying attention to the fatilities and the injuries that happen every day at DZ's.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

but I'd like to know how does it compare to other Sports like Skiing MotorCycling Rock Climbing Racecar driving Scubadiving etc...?

Someone who works as an actuary in the insurance industry could probably tell you exactly how skydiving compares to other "extreme" sports. Anyone?

-
Jim

When people comment to me that they wont skydive because it's too dangerous, I often tell them that if you skydive responsibly, it's probably more dangerous to drive to the DZ than it is to skydive.

Only if you're driving while so drunk you're on the edge of unconsciousness, with no brakes, and you've forgotton your glasses. Now you're getting close.;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

you left out the most important part: "... if you skydive responsibly ..."

Skydive responsibly or not, there's no way it's safer than driving. Period. If you need to believe that to make yourself feel better that's fine, but please, don't go telling your whuffo friends that it's safer than driving. It isn't.

-
Jim