StearmanR985

AFF @ Perris vs. S/L @ Lodi HELP

Opinions/Advice would be appreciated.

Keep in mind, I am skydiving ignorant but looking forward to learning.

I am on a budget: Lodi's (I live in Lodi) AFF is $1000 and their S/L is $500 Perris' AFF price (I believe) is $300.

The Questions: On average, how long does AFF take? Would it be worth it for me to drive 7 hours to Perris, find someone to stay with (hopefully) and take the AFF course? Or, should I just stay here and go the S/L route?

Jeffrey

If you want to do AFF, I would say that you could also do it at Elsinore which is 20 minutes down the road from Perris. It's slightly less expensive, and you can stay in their bunkhouse for $7.oo per night. ($7.00 is for the bed ~ bring a sleeping bag to lay down on the sheetless bed.) You can also camp there in front of the bunkhouse. They have showers and restaurants/grocery stores not too far.

Edited: Adding THIS link for Elsinore's prices. Blue skies!

I say if you can afford it do the AFF training. Think about it, you have about 45 seconds of freefall doing AFF jumps, and with S/L you don't have any freefall time till you're doing hop n pops.
Take that credit card out. If you wait a tad longer, the tunnel will be open out at Perris and you can train in there before doing the AFF jumps. That will save you money in the long run.
At least, that's what I'm doing for my son's training.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I would stick with what lisa said, go and check out the different dropzones and see which one you like best.

When it comes to method however, AFF all the way. I personally think that it is one of the best methods to learn how to jump.

And you get to experience freefall on the first jump

B|

Dayle

I would avoid the static line method, been there done that. Although I did mine back in 85. Things have changed but probably not that much.

I was very impressed with the AFF recurrency I did in 2000.
All of the dropzones available to you feature good weather. I personally would try to do it in as short a period of time instead of spreading it out over weeks or many months if you could afford it. Ask the people that have done it this way for their input but there seems to be less overlap and loss of skills if you don't spread them out too much. Remember your will be building skills on the previous jumps learned skills.
Like Rosa said, some DZs have bunk houses that you can stay at for dirt cheap so you can complete it in a few days. If possible you may want to do it during the mid week so you have less canopy traffic to deal with and can concentrate on YOUR canopy skills. This is assuming you go to a big DZ to do this.

On average, how long does AFF take? Would it be worth it for me to drive 7 hours to Perris, find someone to stay with (hopefully) and take the AFF course? Or, should I just stay here and go the S/L route?
Hi Jeff,
Feel free to contact me if you'd like. I'm "Independent" USPA AFF/TM/PRO/BMI contractor in your area, and I'd be happy to discuss a program that would be best for you. Possibly at a DZ somewhere very close to you?

Ed

Absolute Flight Co.
530 304 3374

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Hi Jeff,
Feel free to contact me if you'd like. I'm "Independent" USPA AFF/TM/PRO/BMI contractor in your area, and I'd be happy to discuss a program that would be best for you. Possibly at a DZ somewhere very close to you?

Ed

Ed,

You probably don't remember me, but I was one of your AFF students at Skydance back in the summer of '99. You were reserve side JM with Neal for my levels 2 & 3. Now, I am an AFF-I and part of the staff at Skydive Elsinore. Thanks for your help.B|

Mark

You probably don't remember me

One of the almost 1100 AFF's?, probably not by name.......
But I do remeber a face?
Glad to hear your an AFF-I also.
I'll look you up next time I'm in Elsinore Mark, or look me up next time your in Nor Cal.

Ed

Absolute Flight
530 304 3374

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

They've already answered the 1st jump at Perris vs the Lodi full course, so there isn't a price break to go south.

Usually AFF takes a few weekends to complete. Best to shop at all the "local" DZs (i.e., within an hour or two) and make a decision on their programs.

I understand Lodi's course is a special accelerated course designed to get you through quickly - even one weekend. You need to be aggressive enough to ask questions, whatever they are, and also to say if you are tired and want to stop during the day. You have to learn at your pace.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Thank you all for the advice. Looks like I will do a little more research on some of the other DZ's in my area. Lodi would be very convenient because I am only nine miles away from the DZ.

But, safety and proper training followed by my budget are my concerns. So, I will do some more checkin'. Dang, I am anxious to get started...:)
Thanks again,
Jeff

But, safety and proper training followed by my budget are my concerns

Then I'd put Lodi out of the question. They aren't exactly known for taking care of their students. Now once you're able to take care of yourself in the air I'm sure you'll get some nice dives in there but when you're learning it's better to be in an environment that fosters their students (i.e elsewhere).

I haven't jumped there at Hollister and I don't know how far they are from where you are but I got the impression it's near Lodi and that they really take care of their students. Davis (Skydance) is another good option too, but I'm sure there are plenty more though.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll find plenty of places that will satisfy your needs.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Lodi rocks !!!
I took it with Bill Dause back in 98 and he was pretty good.
If I had to do it all over again, I'll do it the same place , the same way,
I started aff on monday morning and was doing solos tuesday afternoon !!
yeah baby, !!!
no, i dont need pampering, i needed the meat and potatoes to stay alive and safe and thats exactly what i got. plus more,

Keeping it real 22x7

Ian - I live in the midwest, so I can't speak to Lodi's student program other than what I'd heard recently about the freefall training program when I visited there a couple weeks ago. I would say it is a separate entity from treatment of graduated skydivers and shouldn't be lumped in.

So I'd expect if someone lives on the east coast, are they qualified to speak to a California DZ's safety program? Would that even be fair? I don't know if you've spent a lot of time at Lodi, so maybe you can speak to it.

It would be like me saying that Orange has unsafe airplanes because of the crash 8 years ago. Except I lived in the DC area at the time, so I'd have more legitimacy to speak to that. (In reality, Orange at the time was "THE" place to go).

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've never done SL, but most of the folks I know who learned SL say they wish they'd done AFF. Including my instructors. Perris offers both programs.

I learned though a SL program, and I loved it. Although I didn't have a huge bag of freefall tricks at the end, my canopy accuracy was awesome, and I was (still am) a very safe canopy pilot.

If I had to do it again, I would still learn through SL. But I'd make a point to try to learn more about freefall afterwards, through coached jumps.

note: I got lucky, and learned at a top-notch DZ with very well-maintained student gear. I'm not sure if that is the norm for SL...

If I understand correctly, Lodi will only do the AFF training during the week, not on weekends. If you can get off work during the week, it's great to do a lot of jumps in just a few days. It really speeds the learning process. I haven't seen much in the way of formal coach jumps at Lodi, after you get done with the primary training, but I really don't pay that much attention to student operations. Bodypilot1 can fill you in much better -- send him a message.

S/L was better for me, I think, because I was just too scared to do freefall at first. Getting out of a flying plane was bad enough, but freefalling would have been unbearable. I remember about 5 - 10 jumps in I was really nervous about going up "high" (10k or 13k). I'm over that now, I think, but I'm happy to have done S/L. Something nice about coming out of your first, biggest sensory overload and being under canopy alone so you can consider throwing up in peace... :P

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I did my training in Lodi about a year ago through SL. I also jumped in all the nothern Cal DZs. My opinion is that you really don't need to drive to Southern california to get a good training. There are some great DZ's in your area that can give you great training. Every DZ has advantages and disadvantages... the whole thing is to find the one that matches your expectations, personality, budget, and learning curve...
Send me a PM if you want more info on local DZs... I live in Modesto.

"We see the world just the way we are...

If you are on a budget, and you plan on making skydiving a lifetime sport, go S/L. Its much cheaper, but still safe.

If you have a little cash saved up, or if you just wanna do 1 or 2 jumps, go AFF. You get more freefall on your first jumps.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Actually I've had personal issues with Lodi's training policy through first hand experience. The recent incident just reinforced my beliefs on them.

Just because I live on the east coast now, doesn't mean I haven't experienced their AFF training program.

I see your point, but in this case I have valid reasons for believe it is NOT the place for students.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team