SkydiveNFlorida

Did I ask you for a gear check?

Guess you sit on the ground on those loads where the plane small/packed that there is no way to perform gear checks, huh?

Angela, I jump at a large DZ with crowded planes. There's ALWAYS room for a gear check. ALWAYS. I haven't been in an airplane yet and unable to check my own gear, or request a gear check from another jumper.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I agree 100% with you. Recently someone did that to me. It made me feel so uncomfortable with my gear on that jump. If someone asks me, perhaps it would be different, but to just start playing around with my rig without a 2nd thought? What's that all about. I agree with visual checks, but one of the first things i learned when i was a student, was NOT to touch other people's gear. Maybe some other skydivers should learn that too.

I'm with Angela. I don't like people touching my rig without asking first, and I don't particularly like pin checks in a crowded airplane with people bumping around.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Angela,
Take my words with a grain of salt. I am still a student.

I think you need to look at the person's intention. I believe they truly had your best interest at heart. I know it may feel intrusive; but, they meant well. I would just let it pass and have a friend re-check my gear. Checks are for our safey and must be done. No need to add extra stress before a jump.

As a student I tell people I will only check the main pin. I do a visual check as best I can. I just want to make sure that they are aware I am still a student and I ask them to have some one else give it a second check. I also ask for a check in return.

I welcome a check from any of the regulars at the DZ. People I do not know, get a smile, a thanks and a second check from a coach or someone I know.

My recommendation is keep people's intentions in mind and move on to a check from a trusted source. Keeping intentions in mind helps me let lots of stupid things from bothering me in life.

B

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Guess you sit on the ground on those loads where the plane small/packed that there is no way to perform gear checks, huh?

Angela, I jump at a large DZ with crowded planes. There's ALWAYS room for a gear check. ALWAYS. I haven't been in an airplane yet and unable to check my own gear, or request a gear check from another jumper.

-
Jim

I've jumped in a plane at a dz that will remain unnamed (not because it is unsafe, but because it is not a necessary addition to this argument), where it is difficult to move, let alone check gear. I would think a check to be more dangerous there than beneficial.

Amen to those that agree. If there were a polling feature, i'd start one.

Brian, you have every right to have as many gear checks as you'd like. And, as a student, you are required.

Angela.

I've jumped a number of aircraft, many cramped, and NONE have been so cramped I've been unable to get or give myself a gear check. Sometimes it is more comfortable to wait until the first group goes (bigger plane obviously), but even the many small cessna's I've been crammed into haven't prohibited this.

I still believe that you are correct in expecting to be asked first though, I'm more commenting on the ability *not* to do a pin check.

Be careful out there. The earth is waiting.

Blue skies
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

This is not directed to anyone in particular, but I am mentioning it for the sake of safety.

Sometimes, towards the tail of an otter, there are seatbelt bolts in the bulkhead. Everywhere else, the attachments are on the side of the plane next to you. The ones at the tail, you lean against.

If you are leaning against one of those bolts and stand up carelessly, you may snag bridle, pc, lower pins, etc. Be careful standing up. Ask for a gear check on those items from someone you trust.

Personally, I have to trust someone before they can touch my gear. I like gear checks, but only from experienced jumpers.

Very Good Points. I've read about this issue so much, I ask for and get a pin check every time I bail.

I hope I can keep doing it enough that it remains part of my ritual from here on out.

No reason not to get a pin check, none at all.

I can see though, getting highly pissed off, for someone just reaching in and opening my shit up before I'm about to bail, thats just a little ridiculous and it's pretty damn personal considering....

When I get mine checked, I usually look around on the load, and pic the JM that I'm most comfortable with, and have him take a look/see...

jjf
It's a gas, gas, gas...

[QUOTE]I'm OK with it. It's happened before, it will happen again. I'm glad that people are looking out for me. If I think that someone might have dislodged something, or otherwise messed things up, I'll recheck it myself. If I can't check it myself I'll ask another jumper in the plane to do it. Be happy that people are looking out for you, one of these days they may save your life.
[/QUOTE]

Would also suck if after they checked it they slammed you on the back right over your riser cover and dislodged your reserve pin. Very possible. Hurumph hurumph.

I don't agree with taking an attitude about it, just politely tell the person you dont want to tolerate unannounced gear checks. It's scary at the very least to feel your rig being rearranged without your consent.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

i completely agree with that, as i know how the otter can be. I definitly am by no means experienced (as i am in the 50-100 jump category), and I definitely don't mind if someone may feel safer checking my rig for my and their own safety. However, my problem is when people just go ahead and start touching my rig without telling me. Granted since i have so little jumps, and i jump at different places, i don't know everyone at every dropzone that i visit. If someone who i just met for the first time starts touching my rig, and I have no idea who this wacko is, i may get somewhat upset. It only takes a second to say "hey, do you mind if i just check your rig?"
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Yeah. Its kind of an unwritten rule. We should be diligent enough to ask for a gear check (they're still free). But not touch unless asked.

And, if everyone is doing "Secret Agent" gear checks on everyone and just brings it to their attention... That should suffice.

I've been on planes and seen someone's riser flap opened and told them about it and asked if they'd like me to fix it, which they usually do. Sometimes, they ask their team member to fix it and say, "Thank you." - which is cool.

If my rig was lying on the ground or hanging up and I saw somebody poppoing my flaps and such, I'd be pretty upset. Why would I tolerate it when it's on my back?

Gear checks are a beautiful thing, but just going up to someone and silently popping flaps is arrogance.

Well intentioned or not, it's wrong. Get permission first.

And as for the whole, "Since when is your privacy more important than my safety..." thing, unless something is visually wrong, that remark doesn't hold water.

Stay safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

you dont need to be so bitchy about it most people are safety oriented i know that i personally look at every body elses chest strap student or not and i have over 3200 jumps and always ask for a pin check on the plane before exit and i think that is a plan you should not be too proud to ask for one you never have too many jumps to be safe so bottem line is its not just because you are a new jumper we look out for all of our brothers & sisters young and old so dont be so uptight about someone careing about your safety i have seen gaer checks on the plane save a life before so instead of being bitchy and be more thankful that some one cares about you hope this enlightens you a ltttle thanx for your time just my 2 cents wort
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

Sorry if i'm bitchy about it, but if you intend to check my gear. Ask first! Until then, call me a bitch if you will, but keep your paws off my stuff unless I ask you to touch it.

Please stop mentioning looking at chest straps,.. I think we've covered that here by now. Read the last three pages.

Also, It'd be much easier to read your post with punctuation.

Angela.

yep sure i may not be high school correct in the punctuation but most people can get the drift of what i am saying . and on the chest strap matter i started checking them a couple of years ago when we had a rash of people falling out of theyre gear because it was not routed right . not to check boobs or whatever else you might think. i look at everybodys male or female . so lighten up on that one . i have one friend who almost fell out of his . in the couple of years i have found about 4 or 5 and they fixed them .i have also found a boogie band gear tag around a guys pilot chute bridle that would have given him a pilot chute in tow (which is a nasty situation to be in ) . so you never know what can happen from time to time so dont be so eager in your young skydiveing life to think it cant happen to you . learn from others and dont ever ever think you know it all cause none of us do and never will . you will keep on learning your whole skydiveing life (and i hope its a long one ). once again just my 2 cents worth ( what ever thats worth ). i have been in this sport a long time and i am never too good to learn from someone else. so keep your eyes open and have fun cause this is a great sport full of a very careing family (that you are now part of like it or not )hope this is recieved in the spirit it is given in
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

Unless I'm misunderstanding, Angela wasn't upset that somebody was giving her rig the visual once-over.
She got angry when somebody began physically fidgeting with her rig un-announced.

I don't think that anybody would get upset at somebody else for pointing something out to them, or for offering a gear check.

Quite often I have people warning me that there's "Stuff" sticking out of my rig. I explain why, that's it's safe and I thank them.

A couple of times, someone has come up to me and without saying a word, started pushing the three rings of my bridle retraction system inside my rig.
Well intentioned? Sure. Helpful? NOT AT ALL. Detrimental, in fact. Ask before you touch.

Now I know that this wasn't Angela's situation, but the point is, if you're going to touch someone's gear, let them know before you do.

That being said, gear checks are life savers and I'd personally never turn one down.

Stay safe,
Mike

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

I'm with you, Angela. If you spot something amiss, tell me and let me decide whether I want a check or a fix. If you are just being cautious, ask me if I want a check.

As an aside:

Like when the British say, "Here, Here".

The British don't say "Here, here" (as I see it used often on this site) because that would translate to mean "This place, this place".
They say Hear, hear which would roughly translate to "Listen to what this person is saying. I agree with him/her.".

"Hands off my gear unless asked." Agreed.

Although I did know someone with this attitude who went in in 1986 with a twisted leg strap on a Swift System. Great spot. She was low time too, and didn't need any help. Still doesn't.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I agree it can be disconcerting to have someone unexpectedly touch your gear.
However, as it pretty well happens on jump run
you can be sure it is just a gear check. If you dont like it, get someone else to do a re check.
Once on the ground explain to the person that you are uncomfortable with him/her checking your gear.
You can also explain that you think it is not polite to do a gear check without asking.
If you are too scared to confront the person, ask the manifest or an instructor to do it.

If I am the jumpmaster on the load, I will make sure a 50 jump wonder gets a gear check whether they want one or not. B| As far as I am concered
they are still a student to be looked after.

Gear checks are there for a reason and should be taken advantage of.

"If the answer is no, then DON'T CHECK MY GEAR!!"

Come to the UK, no gear check, no jump!
Okay different situation to jump run pin checks (which everyone should learn how to give to themselves), but still, no signed up gear check at flightline, you don't get on the plane.
And now people are taliking about checking bridle and reserve riser integrity on the flightline, which is even more fucked up!
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Gear checks are there for a reason and should be taken advantage of.

I don't see that many folk disagree with that. The problem is when the gear check is done without the jumper's permission, without the check having been requested, or without informing the jumper.

I always try to assume positive intent.

It does however sometimes rub me when I can feel them poking and moving things around when they should rather just make a comment like "do you like your pin only halfway in", or something like that.
Blue Skies
SoftNotes
"That's not flying.... that's falling with style!"