lazyfrog

Ever jumped in a foreign country ??

UK - crappy.

Ah. My home country reduced to a single blurb word.

Jumped in UK - can be crappy weather but generally pretty good fun and welcoming. Did S/L's at nethers then AFF in:

Spain: Hot. Very Hot. And we were the only people at the new DZ. Now in:

Australia. - Pros: It is mid winter yet yesterday it was 21 degrees with perfect blue skies and little wind. Also a great crowd of people.

Still like the UK though...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

Would most like to try the big sky productions boogie in Thailand.

Dude, I just got back from Bangkok. I haven't been able to get more than 10 feet from the crapper for 2 days. Word of advice: never eat Western food in Thailand. I ate a hamburger that did me in. It was really ham. The meat was white. I'm thinking, "must be a soy burger". I eat about three or four bites then ask the waiter "WTF is this?". It was ground Pork! It tasted like "ass of pork". I ain't been right since!

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

[In reply to] Ah. My home country reduced to a single blurb word. [/In reply to]

Just an opinion - and not your home country - just skydiving in your country. You can't possibly expect a weather dependant sport to come up favourably against countries like Oz, the US and SA. Can you? Plus crotchety CI's with 35 years in the sport and fewer than 1000 dives?

t
It's the year of the Pig.

[In reply to] Plus crotchety CI's with 35 years in the sport and fewer than 1000 dives?

Where?

I love jumping in the UK. Fair enough the weather is a bit pap, but that leaves more time for getting pissed!

of course i'd rather have the weather than the beer but ive got to look on the bright side!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

SA.
Pros : Mostly good jumping weather. Some very scenic DZ's.
Cons: Inland DZ's very bland (especially in Winter). Inland DZ's high ASL.

UK.
Pros : Friendly, competent DZ folk. Close to sea level giving mellow landings.
Cons: Not skydive-friendly weather. Being from SA, all the greenery can get too much :)

France - compete for the crappiest

Wow... you explained UK was because of weather, but what s up with France?

Anyway:

-France
can t say anything... it wouldn t be honest :)

-Spain:
Pro:Nice nice nice people... nice nice nice weather
Cons: Except Empuria, some times some "amateurism" because skydiving is not as developped as in USA, or France for example

-Morroco
Pro: nice scenery
Cons: no permanent DZ
Alambic

Could you list the countries where you jumped, and indicate pro's and con's

I'm an Australian.

In 30 years I’ve spent much of it jumping in different countries – and being a non-military/non-sponsored recreational skydiver, I wonder if there’s some sort of record in the making (the challenge is on!)?

In addition, in some countries, I’ve jumped in many different states and DZ’s (for example 25 or more states in the US)

OK, here goes …. and without log books nearby, I may miss a few:

Australia
Papua New Guinea
USA
UK
France
Germany
Austria
Switzerland
Sweden
Greece
Turkey
India
Jamaica
Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates
Japan
Hong Kong
Italy
Belgium
Scotland
Kenya
Zimbabwe
South Africa
Holland
Cyprus
Jordan

I’d love to write pros and cons of each – but really, non have too many cons. I admit that some required quite a bit of effort to jump in (India, for example; Turkey was another). But at the end of the day I can say that I’ve never felt as privileged as when I’m travelling in a new country and I arrive at a DZ. The welcome I’ve always experienced has been extraordinary.

A good example is a vacation to the US some years back - my wife and I travelling from state to state, DZ to DZ for 6 months. We bought a van to live and travel in. When we finally left the US I added up the number of nights we’d actually slept in the van. It was only around 20% of our nights in total. The rest of the time, jumpers would invite us home. They’d then call ahead to their mum, sister, second cousins three times removed and tell them to expect us through some time in the future. What a privileged way to see a country!! What a “Christmas Card List" we’ve built up over the years!! What a fantastic network of worldwide friends and fellow skydivers we now have!!! Life is great!!

Anyhow, as I remember more countries for the list that I’ve forgotten, I’ll add them.

I’ll close by saying that my home is always open to skydivers passing through. Just give me a day or two advance warning…

Blue Skies,

fergsB|

Spain (Empuriabrava)
Pro: Fast glide, nice people, nice price (for europe), nice scenery
Con: the jumprun of plane (small landing area for Twin Otter)

UK
UK (Headcorn)
Pro: nothing special
Con: tandem factory

UK (Weston on the Green)
Pro: amazing landing area, nice people
Con: i couldnt see any

Austria
Pro: nice people
Con: i couldnt see any

Holland (Hilversum)
Pro: excellent plane, nice people
Con: I couldnt see any

Italy (Ravenna)
Pro: nice planes, nice people, nice landing area

Italy (Nettuno)
Pro: nice people, nice plane, nice scenery

USA (Deland)
ONLY PRO B|

USA (Zephyrhills)
Pro: nice plane

USA (Palatka)
MY NIGHT JUMPS

Thats all

:D

In 30 years I’ve spent much of it jumping in different countries – and being a non-military/non-sponsored recreational skydiver, I wonder if there’s some sort of record in the making (the challenge is on!)?

fergsB|

fergs, well I've jumped so far in the US and canada - but hopefully can have a list like yours in 10 or 20 years. Wow, it's an impressive list you have. Any one time favourite country? You must have some funny or interseting stories with that many different places in your log book - any to share?

Jim

I am 19 now and was lucky enough to jump in Holland in 2001. I went through Dutch Airborne School in Texel. I did all 5 static line jumps out of the Antonov and then did 6 free fall jumps for fun out of the Caravan. The rounds were cool and the landings weren't so bad. However, I loved looking out of the Caravan at 14,000 ft and seeing nothing but ocean on either side. Skydive Texel is an awesome DZ with great people.

Clint D-24352

[

Post: I'm new in the sport... however I think it doesn't matter if you dive or not. The majority of our packers at my home DZ do not jump. I would rather have someone who knows their stuff in charge of my life.
what the hell are you talking about?
---------------------------------------------

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

Hey, Fergs,
Thanks for the challenge. Out came the log books, and so I'll take the risk of being called a "collector of countries", my list totals 45 different people's republics, commonwealths, dominions, crown colonies, kingdoms, and other oddball political entities. Scotland makes the list (separate from England) since the Bank of Scotland issued its own Pound notes. as does Jersey, I think.

I couldn't agree more with your sentiments. It has been a privilege to have traveled to so many fantastic places, and to have met and jumped with so many exceptional people. I just cannot imagine what life would have been like without skydiving.

As far as records go, Pat Moorehead might hold that. He's been damn near everywhere.

For Lazyfrog - yes, Gruyere is next on my list! For the 2004 World POPS meet!

Jim,

You are the Man!!!!

But yes, Pat Moorehead must be up there too. Either you or I need to email him and get him in to this forum .... mind you, he's on the road and travelling so much I wonder if he even gets time to do mundane stuff like emails, hahahaha

Blue Skies,

fergs B|
(who hasn't yet jumped Canada - where's your home DZ?)