velo90

How many Static Line jumps did you do before your 1st Freefall

2 S/L, 3 PRCPs...6th jump on my own. Wish I had been as good on my 10 second delays...I think I did 6 of those alone:S

.....likewise.... 5 sl... then freefalll... I often felt that the ten second delay was toughest,,, since you have fallen out of the propwash,,,, but have not yet accelerated to terminal velocity..... so the relative wind which is going across your body,, may not be adequate to allow you to bring in the right arm to pull, without allowing you to rock,, or even tumble as you pull.... I always felt that the right approach would be to go Higher,,, not lower,, and try a 15 second delay,,,instead of going back down to a 5 or 6 second delay,,,, where airspeed is even LESS....[:/]
I had worked for some DZO's who seemed to agree with me,,, and we got many many people over that
"psychological" hurdle,,, by exiting higher....;)

I have posted that information before in another post, and was very embrassed. But what the heck, people will find out anyway.

I hold the record here in Colorado for most S/L jumps before being able to move on to Freefall. :(
That would be lucky number 13.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I did IAD, basically the same thing as S/L. I did 4 jumps before being "solo". Jump 1 I didn't do anything for deployment except stay stable. Jumps 2-4 were PPCT jumps. All those went well, so jump 5 and 6 were clean and pull, then on to delays from there.

Mike

I hold the record here in Colorado for most S/L jumps before being able to move on to Freefall.

How funny. I also did 13 S/L jumps. I think i hold the record at my dz. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Freefall on jump 13! Only got onto DRP's at jump 9, and even then only got put on them because I was grabbing my risers on deployment! Found DRP's really easy, but the second was a teeny bit flat, so did two more. Never looked back!

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

I was in the military, so one of our ways of insertion was by low flying aircraft (above 600 ft) with troops dangling under a round T-10...
Ohh how fun...

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

I have posted that information before in another post, and was very embrassed. But what the heck, people will find out anyway.

I hold the record here in Colorado for most S/L jumps before being able to move on to Freefall. :(

Hi Mary,

One of my Georgia Tech jump buddies way back when had that same number, 13. Once he got past that, he turned out to be a good skydiver. In his S/L logbook were comments like "great fetal position."

I had 6 static line jumps before freefall, so "less than 10."

No static lines, no tandems, nothing. The first time I ever actually saw a parachute was the day I showed up to do my AFF level one jump. Was I scared outa me gourd? Better believe it. Did I enjoy it? Big time. I'm not sure if crack can possibly be as addicting as skydiving. What happened was that a few of the girls I work with (I'm a nurse) decided to go skydiving. I showed up, no one else did, their loss.

Well it seems that the number 13 is lucky afterall.

Sunny, it doesn't matter how many S/L we did, what matters is how great we turned out.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

When I first started in Europe in 1978 it was min. 15 Static Line jumps with the last 5 had to be successful dummy ripcord pulls in stable position.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Yeah I have too many military static lines to count. I would have to look in my copy of my SRB which is buried somewhere in all my junk. It was a lot, of course you did not want us to say anything if we were military but oh well.

No matter now I freefall!!!

Oh yeah and I just finished my A license!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:P