lazyfrog

ever jumped a round ??

With a few hundred round jumps and three round reserve landings (only reserves rides I've had that got to the ground) I kinda miss the peace and quiet. Open a round and almost no wind noise, not much worry about other rounds running into you, no having to show off in the air, and more importantly no hook turn fatalities.;) Hmmm ROUNDS FOREVER!. Of course the sprained ankles and broken legs, tree landings, water landings weren't so much fun. And of course you really had to know how to spot, more than the right side of the airport.

Haven't jumped a round since 1986, after I busted up my leg (NOT round related) and got too fat to want to land my PC. But it's all packed up. One of these days I need to take up one of my pilot customers and jump their Preserve V.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I voted " why jump a round? ". I don't have to.There is much better gear available these days.There is a team that comes to our DZ every few weeks called The Phantom Brigade. They are a great bunch of guys but I have seen more than a few extremely scary incidents and injuries. We have had tree landings, a landing on the hanger which had it not been for lightning quick reflexes would have ended in serious injury or death, a broken wrist, super hard landings. One guy got caught in an updraft and landed miles off the airport. It was a 15 minute canopy ride from 1800 feet.
very scary stuff---------none for me thanks. It's a great spectator sport.-----
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I voted " why jump a round? ". I don't have to.There is much better gear available these days.

So... if you were given the chance to drive a 1962 Stingray Corvette, you'd turn it down because it doesn't have airbags and ABS?

Something to think about.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

You're much better off watching other people do it.

I have about 40 jumps on rounds, and nostalgia is not all that it is cracked up to be. Just try to think what ~15 feet per second vertical speed might feel like. Sure I have stood up many T-10 and PC landings, but many others hurt like hell. I want to do this for a long time.

Also, if you think the main might hurt you on landing, what about the tiny hi-porosity reserve that is usually part of the deal with nostalgia gear? Would you like the thought of landing that? I always dreaded that possibility.

An old Stingray is high performance. An old round is not. Not a good analogy in my opinion.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Count me in on that number of people that have jumped a round. Way back when I learned to skydive, it wasn't an option.

S/L = 14

PC = 86

We had to have at least 100 jumps before we could jump a square. Then most times it was a "Unit".
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Nope. Carried two different ones as reserves for my first 500 jumps; didn't use either one. Packed a few, even watched one of the ones I packed open (my only save).

I like watching other people jump 'em but I have no desire to hang my body under one.

Almost 500 round jumps here, so I went ahead and answered yes. I agree with just about everything that Councilman24 said about them. I really liked my Starlite, actually.

But I have my eye on a Starlite that a local rigger has; I might just have to haul it out to the DZ.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

An old Stingray is high performance. An old round is not.

Agreed. A better analogy is would you rather have an impact with a non-moving object in 1) a modern car with airbags and three point seatbelts or 2) an old ass Stingray with a lap belt.
---
Michael Teator
Lexington, Kentucky

An old Stingray is high performance. An old round is not. Not a good analogy in my opinion.

If you want to jump a high performance round, then do. A P.C. was considered a very high performance canopy when it came out, and you had to have a certain number of "standard" round jumps before jumping a PC. Historical context is key.

A Stringray wouldn't stand up very well against a sportscar of today, either.

Or, what if I offered you a 62 Cadillac convertable? Would you turn that down?

_Am
__

> So... if you were given the chance to drive a 1962 Stingray Corvette, you'd turn it down because it doesn't have airbags and ABS?

Some of the performance characteristics of a '62 Corvette Stingray are admirable by today's standards. I don't know of all that many characteristics of rounds that are admirable today. I've heard "quiet" and "easy to steer, as long as you don't try too hard" and that's about it. I'm sure there are others that are about as sexy.

Now, I plan to jump rounds in my future. I think I'm good at spotting and can get very good with continued practice; rounds would be a way to test that while also giving me some "vintage-style equipment" rides.

But I look at it more like the chance to drive an AMC Pacer than an old Corvette.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I started diving in aug 98' and it was T-10 static line with modifications to allow some control, then i graduated to freefall and jumped a LO-PO round, then on to the para-commanders and then to square, I somewhat hooked a para-camander and broke my foot in 2 places, lateral break on the bottom of the foot and broke the ankle socket, 12 weeks in a air cast and 18 weeks of therapy my next jump was 10 months after the incident,

blue skies Jah guide

--------------------------------------------------
who Jah bless Let no man curse.

I think I would liken an old round to driving a covered wagon

Well, they're just not that old.

You're forgetting historical context. Rounds, especially para-commanders where cutting edge high tech in the 60's and 70's. PC's were for a long time objects of desire, things that people longed to get but couldn't afford. In their historical concept, they were the shit.

They were not things that people begrudgingly accepted because they couldn't afford anything better.

_Am
__

115 jumps in round main and 2 round reserves.
15 T-10, 60 C-9, 40 Competition Para Commander. All jumps in the 1970's. I loved the PC and would jump one in good condition any time. They turned fantastically and were great for accuracy.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

I've got close to 300 on a round all financed by the US Gov't. Most at night, with equipment and many of them at 800 feet. However, the only one that counts in my book is the one that was at 500 feet, at night and into combat. ;)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING