skyejumper

Wind tunnels - need your opinions

I'm writing an article about wind tunnels, and would like to know if anyone has flown in one:
1) where was it located?
2) did you find it useful?
3) useful as a training tool, or just for fun?
4) does your DZ have one, or is there one being built at your DZ?
5) was it cost effective for you, or would you rather use your money towards skydives?

Thanks for any input.

:)

I've been to the wind tunnel at SkyVenture in Orlando Florida. I think it's a useful training tool. I have a hard time spending money on it though. It cost almost $400 for 30 minutes if that helps with anything. It's $25 - $30 for 3 minutes I think. It's alot of fun but it basically makes me jones to go skydiving.

Tunnels are fun and useful as a training tool for air skills. First, you have greater time in the air column to really concentrate on specific maneuvers without worrying about that BGB (Big Green Ball) hitting you. Second, it is great for concentrating on staying in place while working on your maneuvers because unlike Freefall, there is an abundance of fixed reference points to let you see if you are sliding about or turning neat in your air. Next is that if you have a coach (recommended) they can concentrate on your flying and correct it immediately instead of waiting for the next lift. All told, figure each minute in a tunnel is worth 2-4 jumps. JMHO
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

I've been to the wind tunnel at SkyVenture in Orlando Florida. I think it's a useful training tool. I have a hard time spending money on it though. It cost almost $400 for 30 minutes if that helps with anything. It's $25 - $30 for 3 minutes I think. It's alot of fun but it basically makes me jones to go skydiving.

600$/hr or 13$/min I believe. It really can be worth it if you are working on somthing and need to tighten it up. Plus, think of how much it saves teams who train together... the cost of four jump tickets vs shared tunnel time. I haven't been there yet (will be going for the first time at the end of the month), but I can see it as being pretty practical, actually.

Angela.

1) where was it located?
SkyVenture in Orlando, FL

Incredibly so for everything all disciplines - I have done RW (individual skills and 4-way), back, sit and head down in there and it has helped me a lot in all of them.

Very useful and very fun

No, but I can dream.... B|

5) was it cost effective for you, or would you rather use your money towards skydives?
Very cost effective - for 4-way we get a one hour block for $600 and fly half of it - that's $300 for 30 minutes of tunnel time split between 4 people = $75 per person.

Solo time (at SkyVenture in Orlando) costs between $10 and $19.24 per minute depending how much time you buy (usually it's either $10 or $11 per minute.) I find this to be very cost effective as well as it's about the same price as a skydive (a little cheaper but no canopy ride) but the learning curve is much steeper.

Hope this helps :)
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

1) Flyaway in Pigeon Forge, TN
SkyVenture in Orlando, FL
Free Fall Simulator at Ft. Bragg, NC
2) Absolutely. It is a FANTASTIC training tool for freefall skills.
3) I love to train (that's fun to me) so it's win-win! B|
4) No, and no.
5) I would invest the money to train in a wind tunnel (apart from the free Ft. Bragg tunnel time) if I had an agenda - stuff to work on.
Arrive Safely

John

Except wingsuit.

I was told that people have flown worn wingsuits in the tunnel, but yeah I agree with you - I don't think it would be very beneficial for wing suit flying. That is unless you're trying to learn how to slam into a wall more efficiently B|
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

I have poseted this many times, but for information on Wind Tunnels go to WWW.BODYFLIGHT.NET This is John Suiters site, probably the most knowledgable person on windtunnels. If you are writing an article then here is your expert and the site has virtually every Tunnel in operation listed and how each works and rating. John and Dawn his wife have probably forgot more about this subject than everyone on here combined knows. Hope this helps!
Blue Skies!
D

I'm writing an article about wind tunnels, and would like to know if anyone has flown in one:
1) where was it located?

Thanks for any input.

Hi Skyejumper, I've flown in two tunnels both were mobile tunnels mounted on flatbeds pulled by truck.

Tunnel #1
1)Greensburg IN on the DZ at Skydive Greensburg.
2)I found my time in the tunnel to be very educational, it only took me about 2-3 minutes to get stable and flying in the tunnel after that I was trying standard manuevers.
3)I was using it just for fun, but I learned even more about controling my fallrate, hence it was a training tool and proved useful.
4)No my DZ does not have one, and is not building one. very very few DZ's would be able to finance the construction of one much less have the demographics to support one.
5)I found it to be cost effective, more time for my money and a more conducive learning enviroment. If there was something I needed to learn and I had access to a tunnel, I would use the tunnel to learn and the sky to play.

Tunnel #2
1)Rantoul, IL WFFC 2003
2)Basically the same as #1
3)Basically the same as #1
4)Same as #1
5)Very cost effective, it was free;). Same as #1.

I hope my information is able to help you in researching your article.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Have done 90 mins tunnel time in total (10 mins half way through AFF and 80 mins recently).
1) Location was Orlando (bit of a trek from the UK but it was a camp)
2) Very useful indeed, able to crompress many jumps into a short space of time allowing you to brief and debrief while things are fresh in your mind.
3) Both, training followed by a few games at the end of each session for relaxation at the end of the day and to teach flying automatically).
4) No and no plans to build one however there are plans to build one locally to me in the UK.
5) Very cost effective (even taking travel into account).

Would recommend you read Thomas Hughe's interview on the tunnel camp website http://www.tunnelcamp.com/content.asp?id={9E2DC669-F1BF-42E5-9515-027A81594B0E}&cursection=22.04 it might give you a bit more info.

Nick
Gravity- It's not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

I went to Orlando
It was VERY useful as a training tool. I was a struggling AFF student (repeated L4 four times and L5 three). I spent an hour in the tunnel and became a rock star of a student.
No my DZ does not have one. I traveled form TX to FL to get to one.
It was VERY cost effective. I was paying $150 per jump for AFF jumps and having to repeat them over and over. The tunnel is not cheap per se but it is much cheaper than repeating AFF levels. Money very well spent for a struggling student.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

1) where was it located?

Thanks for any input.

:)

1. Perris
2. Very useful for training
3. Definetly both
4. Perris has a skyventure
5. I would rather just do both. Right now I will probably put money towards skydives instead because Perris is advertising 150 mph and only flying at 130. Thats not cool.

I went to the wind tunnel in Orlando ( I live in NJ) after failing AFF level 3 six times. I shared three 30-minute slots with another person over two days and went home to pass level 3 with no problem. The entire weekend cost less than what I spent on all of my level 3 attempts combined - it was worth every cent. I'll be in Florida again in two weeks and definitely plan on doing some tunnel time. Highly recommend it despite the havoc it wreaked on my hair.

1) where was it located?
Aerodium, along the Trans Canada Highway, between Montreal and Quebec City.

Helped cure my problem with backsliding

Mainly a training tool, but I only visited it once ... 15 hour drive from my apartment

No and no

Saved me hundreds of dollars in wasted jump tickets

Note, that wind tunnel closed many years ago. It may have been crude, but it helped cure my worst bad habit.

skyejumper,

I have been flying in wind tunnels since 1997, I have 5 diffent tunnels under my wings and am putting a 6th on the list in the next couple of months. Are tunnels useful? Ask my aff instructor Don Krouger, or maybe my recurrency instructors Joao Tambor or mayb Nick Sclafani.. yes it helps tremendously, if you choose to learn from it.

If you want to know about ALL the wind tunnels, just ask us!! We'll be happy to help. I just did an interview for the L.A. Times a couple of weeks ago...
Writer hits the fan -- and no splat

Otherwise visit our network of websites, we track them ALL!!