Casurf1978

Disciplines

Just curious here as to what attracts you to the different disciplines in skydiving. For example RW's what attracts you to this area of the sport, same for free flyers, etc. I'm working towards my 'A' so I was just curious as to what each one has to offer and what is fun or you find fun about it. For me I what attracts me is skysurfing and I know that is like 300+ jumps away for me and one exp diver at my DZ said to first start free flying then transition. I would also really appreciate any comments from skysurfers out there too.

Thanks,

Javier

I was and still am attracted to all the disciplines since I can do non with any degree of competence. The more I learn the less I seem to know. I've decided to focus more on RW this year while atleast learning to sit fly. For next year I'll see what I want to do depending upon how this year goes. Wing suit is up on the priority list and so is BASE.

Freeflying: This is one of my favorite disciplines and I like so much because it's a challenge, it can be graceful and I seem to constantly experience new things.

RW: I have virtually no interest in this area but do believe that new skydivers must gain some experience here before venturing into freeflying.

Tracking: This is a lot of fun and it's an important skill to have. I still have plenty of room for improvement, but I am slowly getting better.

Swooping: Another discipline which is fun, but the margin for errors is slim and one really needs to be smart about approaching this area. Knock on wood ... I have yet to hurt myself swooping, but I have been in the corner and it's not a good place to be.

Crew: I don't have any real Crew experience, but this is a good thing to have and I'm sure sometime this year I will take one of the Crew Dog's intro courses.

Wingsuit: I only have one wingsuit jump to date, but I am seriously considering putting together a 2nd skydiving rig which I will dedicate to skydiving wingsuit flights. It's a long way off, but I would like to do some wingsuit BASE jumps before I check out of this life.

Skysurfing: I have virtually no interest in this area.

Freestyle: Looks good when women do this, but it looks gay when a guy does it.

Dang what other skydiving disciplines am I missing besides accuracy landings which I don't really get into?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I think a person should do all disciplines of skydiving. The more you learn and experience the safer and more competent in the air you will be. Also, why should anyone just stick to one form when they can have fun and expereince them all? Just enjoy skydiving no matter what discipline you end up doing. Blue skies bro

I'm attracted to RW work right now...for a couple of reasons...

first, I want to be as safe as I can be....and part of that, to me, is being able to do/be where I want to be at any time. In other words...being able to control where I am...go where I want to go, land where/how I want to land...
and before going to freeflying, I want to have at least that skill first. I want more control in the air.

Second is because I find it fun. =) I'm a social butterfly and enjoy jumping with others..and feel that the safest way to jump with others is RW.

I have no interest in any other discipline other than freeflying..and don't want to really do that until I feel like I have more control with RW.

--------------------------------------------
Elfanie
My Skydiving Page
Fly Safe - Soft Landings

All the disciplines have their benefits, it depends on how hard you want to push yourself. If you have long term commitment to the sport, spend 1000 jumps on one aspect, then 1000 on another, etc. Try competing, that makes it different, or go pick 2 and mix it up 50/50, I'm more like 90/10 for 4way/FF but that works for me, I'll do CrW if anyone asks and like to surf on landings with the other canopy (but a couple lessons would be nice). Even the occasional trash dive, big way, stunt, demo or coaching dive is satisfying with the right people and I make a point to mix these in when possible.

No need to restrict yourself. Once you have your basics in place, mix it up and have fun. I found 4-way this way, although sometimes I just very much want to do some FF anyway, you might be surprised what really trips you when you do each of them.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

RW: Old farts that don't know how to fly any other way.
Freeflyers: Freaks and clowns that like to geek in front of cameras.
Swoopers: Hot shots trying to impress the whuffo chicks.
Skysurfers: People too afraid of sharks to surf the real way.
Freestylers: Who?
Base Jumpers: Jumping out planes doesn't give them a kick anymore, so now they gotta jump off of buildings.

I leave anyone out? :P;):PB|

tandemmasters
tandem passengers
DZ owners
instructors
jumpmasters
jumper/pilots

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hey Javier. . .

Right now RW interests me because I would like to get some good solid base in RW and my roomie and I kinda want to put together a team to compete. I discovered (during AFF) that I kinda like doing other types of stuff. . .so I am sure that I will explore the FreeFly and Freestyle arena someday. . .

Glad you are coming out on Saturday. . .look forward to seeing you there. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

Bubbles... get back to enjoying that Zhills weather! Silly CRW dawg, had the chance to stack but did'nt take it, no wonder you don't call your self a CRW dawg. :P

Each discipline appeals to some one on a very personal level. Pick the one you like the best after trying them all... :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I love freefly because of the freedom it offers. Your flight becomes of spherical nature, every dive is in 3D. You not only get to fly with each other, but around each other, up, down, side to side, anywhere. It's using your body to its full potential, flying on every surface. It has no limits.

Also I choose freefly because of the relaxed nature of its flyers. Even on serious dives you see the freeflyers smiling, joking, and relaxing on the plane. Freeflyers are colorful and beautiful in the air. I'm proud to be a freeflyer. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Meeting a new person on dirt dive before sunset load, boarding on different planes and then meeting this person again as formation builds. Seeing and sharing his/her excitement for few seconds and then getting the hell out, tracking for 2-3K feet. I find this very romantic. ;) The rest will be 4-way for near future.

Freeflying, freestyle & swooping interest me. These are the only aspects of the sport i'm really intrigued by right now, but I might eventually want to check out a wingsuit just to see how it is to get so much time in the air. Anyhow, these will keep me busy for a very very veryyy long time. I have virtually no interest in rw, and I don't really have interest in spending a whole dive getting to a slot on a big way so that I can create some large formation in the sky. Maybe i'm just too selfish for that:D. haha.

I think skysurfing is supposed to be *very* dangerous... I wouldn't want to be hindered by some board on my feet, but that is just me, maybe. I like the feeling of being able to move around as I please.

Angela.

I am one of the few into Style & Accuracy. I love freeflying though when I am not trainig in the other disciplines. But I got to be true to the discipline that is taking my skydiving career to the next level.

Try them all out you will find something you love.

By the time you read this you have already read it.

Javier,

Skysurfer Kathee Johnson started when she had about 100 jumps. (BTW, she is a total natural on ANY board!) I started when I had just over 200 jumps. It all depends on your comfort level...and your instructors' comfort level.

;)

Lawrence
Elsinore Electric

For me I what attracts me is skysurfing and I know that is like 300+ jumps away for me

RW: Old farts that don't know how to fly any other way.
Freeflyers: Freaks and clowns that like to geek in front of cameras.
Swoopers: Hot shots trying to impress the whuffo chicks.
Skysurfers: People too afraid of sharks to surf the real way.
Freestylers: Who?
Base Jumpers: Jumping out planes doesn't give them a kick anymore, so now they gotta jump off of buildings.

I leave anyone out? :P;):PB|

Tunnelrats of course!!!
:)

the appeal for freeflying (for me) was simple....
....you spend the entire student progression working on skills preparing you for more advanced RW

so when i got off student status, the LAST thing i wanted to do was be on my belly again -- @ least til pulltime ;) it was fun to go out & attempt to fly NOT on my belly for once....
whatcha think?

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

Bubbles... get back to enjoying that Zhills weather! Silly CRW dawg, had the chance to stack but did'nt take it, no wonder you don't call your self a CRW dawg. :P

Each discipline appeals to some one on a very personal level. Pick the one you like the best after trying them all... :)

Hey Phree,

I WISH i was at Zhills. got back wednesday night, back to 35 degree weather (it's only 9 now). And HA i did end up stacking (got to a 6 by the time i left)....

everyone should at least try a little crew...... them crewdogs are taking me away from FF :( just look out for me in the sky, and stay out of my way ;):S
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Hey thanks everyone for posting. Once I get my 'A' I'll try each one to at least know what they're like. Also first on the list is a canopy class. After reading a bunch of posts on here and noticing that most incidents occur while under a canopy, I think it would be a wise choice to learn as much as possible about canopy control.

Hey thanks everyone for posting. Once I get my 'A' I'll try each one to at least know what they're like. Also first on the list is a canopy class. After reading a bunch of posts on here and noticing that most incidents occur while under a canopy, I think it would be a wise choice to learn as much as possible about canopy control.

A very wise choice indeed! Have fun!

angela.