JustRelax

Right of way rules?

Officially, under canopy the low guy has right of way. This is not to be used to "steal" someone's airspace by diving beneath them though.

I've heard it said that the slower guy has the right of way. I think that makes a bit more sense with today's high performance canopies.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

What are the right of way rules in freefall and under canopy?

I've addressed this issue with regard to parachutes specifically for guests and members at The Ranch, where I'm Safety and Training Advisor. The topic is covered at: http://ranchskydive.com/safety/tb_article12.htm

The first part of the web feature deals with establishing a landing direction, then there are some rules (sort of, it's The Ranch, so they aren't really rules) about how to interact in the traffic pattern.

Check it out and discuss the topic with the jumpers at your home DZ.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF,SL,Tandem,IAD)
S&TA
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

What are the right of way rules in freefall and under canopy?

Generally in free fall or under canopy, the lower person has right of way.

If you are above someone in free fall, it is much easier for you to see him or her than for them to see you. Get out from over the top of the other jumper immediately.

Also, a high performance canopy has the responsibility of ensuring collision avoidance. A Sabre 230 simply cannot get out of the way of a heavily loaded, small, x-brace canopy. The same Sabre simply cannot maneuver fast enough to get in the way of the same small x-brace. Simply put; if a lightly loaded, large canopy and a small, highly loaded canopy have a collision, it is the pilot of the smaller canopy’s fault.

Lastly, once you have landed, the people landing after you have the right of way, so do not ‘kite’ your canopy (keep it inflated over your head) after landing. To do so creates an obstacle for those still landing. Collapse your canopy and, keeping an eye out for landing traffic, exit the landing area immediately.

Derek

THE TIMES THEY ARE A CHANG'IN.

Low canopy has the rite-of-way. In todays world, a new consideration involves the fact that large slow canopies are often low at 1000 ft, and dangerously in the way of the vast majority of jumpers who have exited well behind. I know this first hand as and old fart with a large slow canopy. I usally exit first with a big rw formation, and end up lerking for landing space, watching fifteen or more fast canopies racing me to the peas.

I do not want my tombstone to read, "He had the rite-of-way". The times are a changing. I plan to become and even older jumper than I am now, so the choice it clear. PAY ATTENTION, at all times, to every one and every thing. Keep your head on a swivel and plan to land out.

Simply put; if a lightly loaded, large canopy and a small, highly loaded canopy have a collision, it is the pilot of the smaller canopy’s fault.

I'd say yes but also no. For instance, I've seen some folks under large canopies do some seriously dangerous things (even at large DZs). Stuff such doing slow turns (back and forth across lanes of traffic) while on final to get their accuracy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Simply put; if a lightly loaded, large canopy and a small, highly loaded canopy have a collision, it is the pilot of the smaller canopy’s fault.

I'd say yes but also no. For instance, I've seen some folks under large canopies do some seriously dangerous things (even at large DZs). Stuff such doing slow turns (back and forth across lanes of traffic) while on final to get their accuracy.

Very good point, a large canopy does not give someone license to wander around and fly unpredictably.

Derek

The right of way rules for canopies are the same, basically, that planes follow. They're very similar to boating ROW rules too.

For aircraft, the rules are spelled out in FAR 91.113:

(e) Approaching head-on. When aircraft are approaching each other head-on, or nearly so, each pilot of each aircraft shall alter course to the right.

(f) Overtaking. Each aircraft that is being overtaken has the right of way and each pilot of an overtaking aircraft shall alter course to the right to pass well clear.

(g) Landing. Aircraft, while on final approach to land or while landing, have the right of way over other aircraft in flight or operating on the surface, except that they shall not take advantage of this rule to force an aircraft off the runway surface which has already landed and is attempting to make way for an aircraft on final approach. When two or more aircraft are approaching an airport for the purpose of landing, the aircraft at the lower altitude has the right of way, but it shall not take advantage of this rule to cut in front of another which is on final approach to land or to overtake that aircraft.

Faster canopy overtaking slower canopy, pass on the right. The canopy being overtaken has the right of way. Two canopies head on, both turn right.

Dave

Dave on that one I agree with Derek,
If you are a high performance canopy and you are getting ready for your approach, and you see a big canopy in the landing area and is close to your way, he is below (right of the way) so don't do a high performance landing, there are other jumps to be made. as you know i shoot video and I'm always landing by the time other experience jumpers with larger canopies are landing. I found serveral solutions to asure that i see every single canopy in the air and landed so i can make a safe desicion on my high performance landing.
It is really easy to avoid big canopies and there is always another jump
Cielos Azules
Pablito

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

So do these sound right?

"lower canopies of similar performance have the right of way"

"Large canopies should keep a clear flight path when higher performance canopies are above"

"Canopies on final landing have ROW as long as they do not cut in front forcing another to do a low turn"

It is really easy to avoid big canopies and there is always another jump

Yup, I agree with you there, the "have to swoop" mentality will get you in trouble.

I think you missed my point, my point was that a low and slow canopy was doing something incredibly stupid. That makes it a hazard to be in the same landing area even if you're doing a straight in approach with a HP canopy.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

my point was that a low and slow canopy was doing something incredibly stupid. That makes it a hazard to be in the same landing area even if you're doing a straight in approach with a HP canopy.

And it's still your duty to avoid him, whether he's doing something stupid or not. Doesn't mean, of course, that you can't chew his ass when you're both safely back at the packing mat.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

excellent point. everybody should remember the concept of "last chance avoidance." If you're the one who has the last opportunity to avoid a collision, it's your duty to do whatever is necessary to make sure everyone lands safe. just because you have the right of way doesn't mean you're "right" if an accident happens.

Another FAR that I think applys:

"(c) In distress. An aircraft in distress has the right-of-way over all other air traffic.

(d) Converging. When aircraft of the same category are converging at approximately the same altitude (except head-on, or nearly so), the aircraft to the other's right has the right-of-way. If the aircraft are of different categories --

(1) A balloon has the right-of-way over any other category of aircraft;

(2) A glider has the right-of-way over an airship, airplane, or rotorcraft; and

(3) An airship has the right-of-way over an airplane or rotorcraft."

Derek

I would generalize the rule this way: the less effective pilot has the right of way .

So, the right of way should go to the pilot
with less margin of manouver (lower),
less manouverability (round or big canopy), less experience (student canopy), less landing possibility (tandem), etc.

So do these sound right?

"lower canopies of similar performance have the right of way"

"Large canopies should keep a clear flight path when higher performance canopies are above"

"Canopies on final landing have ROW as long as they do not cut in front forcing another to do a low turn"

S-P
===========================

Ok it is the Holidays and I know I will patronize someone with this post but hay it is the season.

Lower and slower canopies have the right of way. Even if they are over the wrong landing area or the size difference between canopies are on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Lower canopies have the right of way because they are closer to the ground where they might be getting ready to setup or are committed to a landing pattern. Slower canopies also have the right of way because it is easier for the faster and more maneuverable canopy to avoid the slower, safely, then it is for the larger canopy to avoid the faster canopy.

It’s not Rocket Science people its just common sense. The information is laid out for us in the SIM to be teaching students, and for the students to self teach. Category E section B 6-c “The lower canopy has the right of way, but one jumper should not maneuver to assert right of way over another.” This is the stuff we should be teaching and not debating.

As for who has the right of way while in free fall that’s also simple. Look in the SIM’s Section 6-1 C 3-c, it’s only a recommendation, but it is again based on common sense, the lower person has the right of way. I would guess that because they are closer to the ground sooner to impact, closer to pull time.

Besides it is a little more difficult for a jumper to check for clear air above them while on their belly. You must understand, by no means am I saying its ok for a jumper not to check over their shoulder while waving off.

Also if you become aware of someone above, during your skydive, keep your options open because you never know for sure that the other jumper is aware of you below.

It takes two to collide and one to avoid a collision.

Merry Christmas
Memento Mori

My summary is:
1. In freefall, the lower skydiver has ROW.
2. Tandem and camera skydivers have ROW over solos.
3. When approaching head on, alter course to the right to pass well clear.
4. The lower and slower canopy has the ROW, but one jumper should not manoeuvre to assert right of way over another.
5. Suggestion: Large canopies should keep a clear flight path when higher performance canopies are above.

5. Suggestion: Large canopies should keep a clear flight path when higher performance canopies are above.

Better yet -- everyone should fly a predictable pattern.

It's really easy if everyone does it -- few do.

BTW -- having the right of way doesn't mean you can do anything you damn well feel. What it means is that you have the reponsibility to be the preditable person in the equation so that the other folks without the right of way can fly around you.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver