loriann13

altitude to pull rip chord

As a student you'll proabably pull at 5,500

the rules relating to how low you can go before deploying depend on where in the world you are and how many jumps you have. Generally its a minimum hight of 2,000 or 3,500.

Most people I know pull arround 3 - 3,500ft. That seems to be about average for licensed jumpers.

If you look through the SIM, there are different recommended pull altitudes for different AFF levels. When I started AFF, I pulled at 5,500, and now at 51 jumps, I pull at 3,500 and do not see myself ever pulling any lower than that (at least not intentionally). I do not know if there is a defined minimum pull altitude stated anywhere, but most people I talk to that have many more jumps than me, pull around 2,500. That seems (to me anyway) to be the lowest to pull and still have enough time to cut away if needed with a safe amount of altitude to have your reserve open. I personally would not feel comfortable pulling that low, but that is just me. One time I lost awareness and was sitting in at 2,000 and was very uncomfortable with that. If I remember correctly (someone correct me if I am wrong), as far as AFF goes, I think the lowest recommended pull altitude was 2,500 ft. Hope that somewhat answers your question.

Melissa

"May the best of your past be the worst of your future"

Basic Safty Requirements state:
G. Minimum opening altitudes

Minimum container opening altitudes above the ground for skydivers are:

1. Tandem jumps--4,500 feet AGL

2. All students and A-license holders--3,000 feet AGL

3. B-license holders--2,500 feet AGL

4. C- and D-license holders--2,000 feet AGL

Thats the rules on minimum... whats sensible is another issue.

I was pulling at 6K in AFF (jumping from 15K)

Now I throw at 4K (same 15K jumps)

I agree with the person who said it gets uncomfortable to open any lower than 3500, I just want to have as much time as possible to fix any problems I might have (well, without doing 15K hop 'n pops)

PcCoder.net

Okay, as you noticed, I'm more than a novice :). I'm trying to come up with a quiz question that has a specific answer to it.

Can anyone suggest the wording of a question like this that may have a specific answer? Including proper terms?

Thank you all so much for the information so far. It's quite enlightening.

I've seen the numbers vary from 5,500 ft to 4,000 ft. Is that the official range? Or is there a more specific "official" altitude at which it's recommended you pull the rip chord? The most common I've seen to date is 5,500.

When I can see thier lips saying "Holy shit that's low!" I start my deployment procedures BY 2000' everytime, honest!
:);)

Minimum pack opening altitude is 2,000 ft.

I usually start my wave off at 3,000 and am in the saddle at 1900 to 1800 ft.

As an experienced jumper you won't be pulling at 5.5 very long or your buddies won't wanna jump with ya cause you will be leaving the dive about 1,500 ft to early for them most of the time.
Dom

I'm trying to come up with a quiz question that has a specific answer to it.

Can anyone suggest the wording of a question like this that may have a specific answer? Including proper terms?

A "quiz question"? Like for a trivia game or something? Sorry, but the simple answer is that there is no simple answer. It's like asking what the speed limit on highways is. It's different depending on where you are, what the highway is like, what the weather is like, and even if there is an upper limit, you may choose to drive slower if you're driving a certain type of vehicle or say, are drunk. :S

Maybe you should start a thread asking for suggestions for a skydiving trivia "quiz question".
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I personally still pull at 5k but will go to 4.5 if needed. I just dont feel comfortable below that. I have been thinking that 4k would be ok but have yet to go that low. I will admit that my last jump I dumped somewhere between 4.3-5k, got to pull alti..and for some reason felt really comfortable (not too comfortable) and dumped somewhere around there. I guess i'm saying i'm getting more comfortable and imagine 4k is right around the corner.
"GOT LEAD?"

"rip chord" sounds like something you play on a guitar ;)

Actually, if you wanna get really anal, "rip chord" sounds exactly the same as "rip cord". It's just spelled differently.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".