rest

DC-9 at Perris

For example, a lot fewer people are going to Orlando Skyventure, now that Perris has one on the West Coast.

Thats odd since the tunnel in Orlando is till running over 20 hours a day non stop. Pushing the west coasters back just means the line of people getting turned away is less.

If they had that jet turning loads often enough and cheap enough, it would crush the competition. Why make an argument over this?

Simple math tells you that this is'nt going to happen. Minimum load will probally be 45-50. And the less people the more the ticket will cost. None of the teams will take the jet and none of the students can either... thats leaving an ever shrinking crowd to jump it. Look at the bombers... great plane that is a once a life time jump, even if they could fly them non stop all day people usually only do one jump out of them and are happy with it. Look at the balloons are Perris, they are there all the time and its hard to get the 4 or 5 people needed to jump them and yet now you want to have loads of 50-80?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

When they built the wind tunnel, do you think they were worried about how that would affect surrounding dropzones?

I think they built the tunnel because they could and because they knew it would help bring in customers from outside the area - who just may decide to do a few jumps at one or more of the other dz's in the area while they are visiting. Knowing the Conatser's as I do... I 'd say that "crushing the competition" was waaaaay down on their list of reasons for building it.

If they had that jet turning loads often enough and cheap enough, it would crush the competition. Why make an argument over this?

You're the only one arguing. Those of us who've been in the sport for awhile realize that a DC9 is not a good platform for anything other than specialty jumping - ie "I jumped the jet!" - and also know that competition from other dz's is a good thing for skydivers and dzo's.

For example, a lot fewer people are going to Orlando Skyventure, now that Perris has one on the West Coast.

Really? Considering how many people from the dz that I'm at in FL are still having to do their tunnel time at Orlando late at night or way early in the morning cuz those are the only times available, even now that the Perris tunnel is open... I don't think the Perris tunnel has hurt the Orlando tunnel one bit.

Really? Considering how many people from the dz that I'm at in FL are still having to do their tunnel time at Orlando late at night or way early in the morning cuz those are the only times available, even now that the Perris tunnel is open... I don't think the Perris tunnel has hurt the Orlando tunnel one bit.

Agreed. The addition of the California tunnel most likely won't hurt Skyventure in Florida, but rather HELP the jumpers on the other side of the country. There's enough demand and few enough tunnels to make it a good thing for EVERYONE. To address the extra business that the tunnel will bring Perris, very little I suspect. People will come to do their time and maybe make a few extra jumps at Perris just for fun, but they'll all go back to where they came from when the tunnel time is done.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I think they paid $200+ per ticket and were at the planes mercy on when they arrived and when they left.

Man, that is a rip off! If I hitch a ride on one of these planes, I don't want to pay more than $100 bucks roundtrip.

Why, because we would basically be treated like a piece of cargo, no seats, no bathrooms, no flight attendants to fluff my pillow and no food!

Not to mention, they would probably forget to pressurize the cabin, expect some hypoxia. We won't need to drink very much booze to get wasted!

It's ghetto style! I think the military transports at least give their boys seats to sit it!

We would have nothing, I'm assuming that they are tearing out most if not all the seats in the DC-9.

It is so easy for them to just let us tag a long for the trip, they have to fly there anyway, why not charge a smaller fee, just to help get people there?

I'm with you Phreezone, if they end up charging more than that, I'll just find my own ride.

I'm the guy that went on the three last year to Rantoul. I'll say it wasn't a rip-off. The plan was to get maybe 10 socal jumpers to help differ Some of the costs of fuel. Well they only got 2 going out and just me coming home ( they split two days early ).

We had plenty of room, coolers filled with drinks & snacks. Pick-up at elsinore, drop-off right at the event to be greeted by fellow drunken jump brethren.
Fantastic vistas of the rockies from a few hundred feet above them. Fantastic cloud visuals on the way home. Greeted enthusiastically at every stop for gas ( we had more stops for oil than gas) by the airport staff, as we were flying in a fantastic part of aviation history. Was featured in a small newspaper article in a small Texas town when the reporter came out to airport to see what was going on with the big shiny bird. Performed fly-bys at each stop. Guest to a great deal of middle america hospitality. Had a precautionary engine out landing, thats in a BIG tail-dragger in a 10 knot crosswind. Greaser! Nice one Skip!
No transfers- no lay overs.
No TSA dweeb, who is unfit to inspect a toaster, checked my rig for WMD. Nobody even checked our WMD for WMD and they arrived to be shared at rantoul. No security cavity search. I didn't sit cramped next to joe salesman or grandma who hates to fly. I sat in the jump seat and chatted with the crew on the way back, as if I was one of the crew. Helped with oil and fuel and kicked the tires with the other "Ramp-rats" whenever other specialty aircraft got in the gas line. I'll do that anyday rather than sit in a WUFFO terminal with the rest of the walk-on baggage.

It was one of the highlights of going to Rantoul, an adventure, and I would do it again!

I think they paid $200+ per ticket and were at the planes mercy on when they arrived and when they left.

Man, that is a rip off! If I hitch a ride on one of these planes, I don't want to pay more than $100 bucks roundtrip.

Why, because we would basically be treated like a piece of cargo, no seats, no bathrooms, no flight attendants to fluff my pillow and no food!

Not to mention, they would probably forget to pressurize the cabin, expect some hypoxia. We won't need to drink very much booze to get wasted!

It's ghetto style! I think the military transports at least give their boys seats to sit it!

We would have nothing, I'm assuming that they are tearing out most if not all the seats in the DC-9.

It is so easy for them to just let us tag a long for the trip, they have to fly there anyway, why not charge a smaller fee, just to help get people there?

I'm with you Phreezone, if they end up charging more than that, I'll just find my own ride.

200 bucks for going 3/4 of the way across the United States is too much? Are you nuts? You know, people pay big bucks for charter flights so they can go from where they want to where they want, and when they want to. Tell me, what airline service operates into and out of Rantoul? Hmmmmm? That's right, nobody. 200 bucks is small pitens to pay for a DC-9 ride. Oh, and you aren't helping the AC owner out by riding along really. The more weight you take the more fuel you burn. It costs more money to haul your ass along than it does empty. If empty, they can just make up the cost with the ferry fee to the event organizer(s).

Last time I talked to Rob they were going to leave a few rows of seats in all the time so they could carry "essential" people to their events. Scott, I suggest you become Rob's new bestest buddy and big toe.

Right, because the FAA should be skipping through a field of daiseys just because want them to approve this? Oh pahhleeezz. I'm actually surprised that they said 3 months. I know a lot of new Part 135 certificates can take a year and a half. You all seem to be getting off light OR they have been working on this that long already and the timing is down to about 3 months. Either way, this stuff don't happen overnight. And maybe the FAA hates you locally but I would say that isn't true across America. There are plenty of DZs that have good working relationships with the FAA. I've worked with them several times myself in Kansas City and Chicago.

You got it right Driver. The FAA and the Conatsers have been working on this for well over a year before the Jet even got here and Perris gets along very well with the FAA and our Pilots! Scott has a way of saying things that just offend us all from time to time. I can't figure out where he comes up with some of the stuff he says. :S His comments in no way reflect the opinions of 99% of the jumpers at Perris.
Dom

Since when is the DZ responsible for charity? You wanna go you pay! They have every right to make money off of there plane.

Not to mention, they would probably forget to pressurize the cabin, expect some hypoxia

That makes a lot of sense. Let's leave the cabin unpressurized so the Pilot can pass the fuck out.:S

They should lose money just to give you a cheap ride?
I am glad you don't make the financial descisions for Perris. We would all get really cheap jumps and free shit for 6 months and then the DZ would shut down because they ran out of money,:S
Dom

Last time I talked to Rob they were going to leave a few rows of seats in all the time so they could carry "essential" people to their events. Scott, I suggest you become Rob's new bestest buddy and big toe.

Rob was giving some of us a tour of it right after it got here. The plan at that point was to remove I blieve the last 6 rows to use as a staging area and leave the rest in place. They had us all bring our rigs and sit in the seats, walk down the isle and see what we could get caught up on. We even did a few jam ups to see how we could get situated in it.

The coolest thing about that little tour was that while we where sitting in the seats, they started up the electrical system to open the door in the tail for us. Everyones eyes lit up at once, you cold see the light turn on in all of our heads! THEY ARE GIVING US A FREE TEST JUMP!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT!

It was like meeting a good looking woman for the first time and all you can think about is well dirty things and she starts to take of her clothes shows ya some skin and then she walks away before anything good pops out. It was like skydiver BLUE BALL!:D
Dom

Actually a lot of people feel that way. The owners obviously thought that way. When they built the wind tunnel, do you think they were worried about how that would affect surrounding dropzones?

No they didn't. Scott they actually have been working very hard with Elsinore to make sure that both DZ's to well. The Jet will never turn all day and it will never be the most desirable plane to jump from. It will be fun but not practical EVER! I think people get (I know I do) a little uneasy when you start talking on line here Scott. You tend to state things as fact when you really don't have a clue. Reading your replys it would seem you are very in touch with the thought and feelings of the jumpers at Perris and you are not. Your opinions are your own and you are intitled to them. Just try and keep in mind that your words on here to effect the place that many of us love and call home.
Dom

We had plenty of room, coolers filled with drinks & snacks. Pick-up at elsinore, drop-off right at the event to be greeted by fellow drunken jump brethren. I sat in the jump seat and chatted with the crew on the way back, as if I was one of the crew. Helped with oil and fuel and kicked the tires with the other "Ramp-rats" whenever other specialty aircraft got in the gas line. I'll do that anyday rather than sit in a WUFFO terminal with the rest of the walk-on baggage.

If you can do that in a DC3 across America any chance of sending the DC9 across the pond to pick up Brits for the next boogie? :)B|:)
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

Agreed. The addition of the California tunnel most likely won't hurt Skyventure in Florida, but rather HELP the jumpers on the other side of the country. There's enough demand and few enough tunnels to make it a good thing for EVERYONE. To address the extra business that the tunnel will bring Perris, very little I suspect. People will come to do their time and maybe make a few extra jumps at Perris just for fun, but they'll all go back to where they came from when the tunnel time is done.

Very good assesment Jimbo! They are just know working angles to get more people involved in the tunnel (wuffos). The jumpers have been all over it from day one but we are not enough to make it truely profitable. Despite my best efforts at throwing all my money at it. Thank god for my new LO spot at Perris or I wouldn't be able to do both as much as I do.

It is definatley not hurting Orlando at all. This tunnel has made it easier for the west coast to take advantge of a great tool. It isn't going to put anybody out of business. It will make the west coast stronger in every discipline though. It's amazing how fast people are coming along with the use of it.

As far as extra business. IT will bring some. The big thing will be if the DZ works tandems and there families. While 18 yr old. Johnny is doing his tandem jump and the 20 family members they brought to watch are sitting around for 4 hours while he waits to get in the air. They get interested in it. Johhny's little brother can get in for 2 minutes for cheaper then his Tandem
Dom

The plan was to get maybe 10 socal jumpers to help differ Some of the costs of fuel. Well they only got 2 going out and just me coming home ( they split two days early ).

So you were forced to pay the difference in cost for those who flaked out and didn't show up?

we had more stops for oil than gas,
Had a precautionary engine out landing

Wow, that sounds like a safe ride.

Sure the DC-3 might be cool to do that in but we are talking about a DC-9. The DC-9 isn't really a piece of "avaition history".

I think people get (I know I do) a little uneasy when you start talking on line here Scott. You tend to state things as fact when you really don't have a clue. Reading your replys it would seem you are very in touch with the thought and feelings of the jumpers at Perris and you are not

Two words my friend.... LIGHTEN UP! This is a discussion form that thrives on different opinions and debate. You get nervous!! Like I'm representing all the jumpers at Perris! Would you like me to remove Perris from my Profile so I don't offend anyone that jumps at Perris and happens to have a different opinion?

Please, I would love to meet you some time, you sound like you could use a beer! I'm buying!

In the meantime....quit being so self righteous.

scott

Two words my friend.... LIGHTEN UP! This is a discussion form that thrives on different opinions and debate. You get nervous!! Like I'm representing all the jumpers at Perris! Would you like me to remove Perris from my Profile so I don't offend anyone that jumps at Perris and happens to have a different opinion than you?

I did say you are entitled to your opinions. This is a forum for discussion. You just come off like you are know what is going on out at Perris and what everyone is thinking. As far as lightening up goes, I will lighten up when you smarten up and realiaxe what you are saying and how it can be taken as offensive and ignorant to a bunch of people. This is a funny sport. We are all very possive and protective of it and the places we jump at. As I said in one of earlier posts Perris is my HOME and the HOME of many others on this site. SO if you are doing or saying anything that I or someone else feels hurts or gives a bad impression of our HOME. You are gonna hear about it!

Please, I would love to meet you some time, you sound like you could use a beer! I'm buying!

WE have met more then once and I you even watched me in the windtunnel last week on Meeker Monday. I had the all Black jumpsuit with blue grippers and a Blue Oxygen on. Don't really need a beer. Just wish you would realize how you come across on line and once again you are speaking in a way that many will take as a direct reflection of our DZ. So if I think it comes across in a bad way I want to make sure people realize that your opinions are just that and not the way that 99% of the people feel at Perris!

Maybe you should educate yourself before offering opinions that make little or no sense.
Dom

You just come off like you are know what is going on out at Perris and what everyone is thinking

Did I say that? nope, I only speak for myself. I would like to make that clear.

SO if you are doing or saying anything that I or someone else feels hurts or gives a bad impression of our HOME

Think about it, why would bragging about our new DC-9 bring up soo much resentment and controversy.
Nothing I've said in this thread is that bad! Except the "crushing the competition part" I was just kidding!

What a strange sport I've fallen into! So defensive.
Once again, it's all in good fun! Don't take anything I say seriously, it's pure satire! OK!:)

Did I say that? nope, I only speak for myself. I would like to make that clear.

Actually a lot of people feel that way. The owners obviously thought that way. When they built the wind tunnel, do you think they were worried about how that would affect surrounding dropzones?

Straight from your keyboard.

Think about it, why would bragging about our new DC-9 bring up soo much resentment and controversy.

Scott I have sent you many Pm's over the last year and if you still don't get it. Well I won't bother anymore.
Dom

And I won't bother to explain the difference between a customers perspective and the impression of someone like yourself who works at the DZ.

This is so funny, You have won the argument as I have stated in my previous post but you still won't take an apology, man!

>>we had more stops for oil than gas,
>>Had a precautionary engine out landing

>Wow, that sounds like a safe ride.

Flying cross country in a DC-3 is definitely not as safe as flying in a 747! Decide for yourself if you want to do so.

I find it odd that you keep saying how bad it is to hitch a ride on jump planes, when the solution (don't hitch a ride on jump planes) seems so simple. Reminds me of the joke about the two old ladies:

Lady 1: Can you believe that restaraunt? The food was awful! The pasta was cold, the meatballs were rancid, I found hairs in the sauce, and I actually found a cockroach in the salad!

Lady 2: Oh, yes, it was awful. And such small portions!

I didn't say it's bad to hitch a ride on a jump plane.

I said I'd probably would be a little turned off at the idea of paying $200 bucks.

Now that you've told me about all problems you had on the DC-3 I would definatly say $200 is a lot.

Now on properly working DC-9 I might consider it.