Kat1221

How many can actually pack?

I hate packing!
I also hate doing the dishes, taking out the trash, changing the oil,....

See I'd have no problem paying $5 to get someone to do my dishes, take out my trash, or especially do my laundry. Laundry is the worst of all. I already pay to get my oil changed. I need a butler...

I was late really learning to pack. I mean I took a $50 packing class after AFF, but I kept paying packers until I bought my own rig at around 40 jumps. Probably easily could have "slipped through the cracks" and never started packing if I didn't want to. I just hated packing the huge student mains. Too damn big for me! :)
Dave

I only have about 45 jumps... Got my own gear at #29 and have packed about half of those jumps.

I have no problem paying a packer.... If I plan on doing several jumps that day sometimes it is worth it to pay someone to do all that physical work for me.

Maybe it is because I smoke too much, but packing is a lot of work and it is very tiring if you aren't used to doing it everyday.

So, I will usually pack my first jump of the day, then pay for the repack, then maybe pack the next one...

I don't think it matters if someone pays for it or packs themselves. I think I am helping someone make an extra buck on the DZ by having them pack it. I have been told that packing chutes on the DZ is one of the most lucrative under the table jobs out there :-)

$5/pack 30-40 packs on a big DZ a day, 5 days a week = a lot of free jumps or $750-$1000 per week in a perfect world.

More realistically though it is real busy on the weekends and one can plan on making $250- $500 if they only work weekends ....
Just what I have heard.

-----------------------------------------------------
Sometimes it is more important to protect LIFE than Liberty

I pack for myself most of the time. I like my openings better and it helps me to better know the gear that I am jumping. I am still not very fast but getting better. I will really have a rough time when my new Sabre 2 arrives. Might be time to learn how to psycho pack. I have and will use packers if the need arises.

I prefer to pack for myself. That being said, I have never packed a malfunction (except the few intentionals that I have) BUT I have had several reserve rides when having it packed for me.

Wonder if packers just don't like me.....

D

I love to pack my own rig. I enjoy feeling the crisp zp and sometimes even talk to it while I 'm having my way with it. "Yeah, You like that don't you.. feels right, doesn't it.. Right there? I know, Now it's time to get in the bag baby. I'll wake you up at quarter to 3;) "

+ I get anxious about my own pack jobs and I do them well. I would not be comfortable dropping my rig off unless I could watch them pack it. And if I watch them pack it, i might as well do it myself.

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky

IMHO, everyone should be proficient in packing their parachute -- your life depends on it. One of the benefits of learning (or even jumping when off student status) at a smaller DZ is that people will spend the time to teach you how to pack. Spending $50 to learn to pack? >:( Find a 182 DZ and learn for free. And learn to spot while you're there. Yeah, packing sucks, especially in the middle of a hot & humid summer, but that just makes the air feel that much better when you go up again.

P.S. Never paid a packer, or used one outside of student days. Just a personal thing.:)

I learned how to pack and I can pack, however, I use packers most of the time because my new canopy is a bitch to get in the bag, but, if I decide to pack it I can, it might take a little longer and you might hear some foul language, but I get that puppy in the bag. :D

I pack for myself because every 4 jumps that I pack my own main pays for one other jump.

This is a great way to justify buying another jump. I like it.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I pack for myself because every 4 jumps that I pack my own main pays for one other jump.

This is a great way to justify buying another jump. I like it.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I chose to buy a medium performace canopy with soft openings. Very glad I did.

I've trash packed that thing so sloppy and fast at times it'd make ya cringe... but I've never experienced worse than the occasional line twist, which, as it's medium performance, has always been easy to kick out of.

Havent used a packer in 400 jumps, but I would use any paker on any DZ in a heartbeat, and not think twice about it.

That's the forgiveness and trust a non-elliptical, soft opening canopy can give ya...
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

I'm in the same boat as at least 2 others: small dz.. you pack yourself, or you miss loads.

I have a love/hate relationship with packing. I hate to do it, but I love it when I get a sweet opening, and I like knowing that I'm the only one responsible for my main pack job.
IF I jumped at a dz where packers were readily available, I might use one on occasion if I wanted to take a break and relax in between jumps. But for the most part, I cant justify spending money on something that I can do myself.
Oh and if I flew camera for tandems and needed to be ready to go quickly, I'd use a packer while I edited videos.
But I dont jump at a big dz or fly camera.. so I pack!

I have spent this week learning to pack tandem rigs. My girlfriend burst into laughter when she found out as she spent most of last season packing my main for me. But I can do it and the extra money will be nice.
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

I voted I know how to pack my own gear, I just don't know how to do it well, that's why I love you so much ;)

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

Pack for myself. I would be spending way too much money if I used a packer as it is this is expensive.

I really don't mind packing, it doesn't take that long to do once you get the hang of it and most of the people at my DZ who aren't instructors pack for themselves. The packers we tend to have around on a weekend are kept busy enough with student rigs, tandems, and instructor rigs. If you sit around waiting for one of them you won't be on the plane all day. Some other have thier SO pack for them.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

there are only 1 or two people Id let pack my rig. I pack everything, plus there are few packers who can pack as fast as me (at least that Id pay for) Its a trash job, but Ipreform the essentials... what can I say... I really learned how to pack fast goin to boogies, who wants to miss a load?!;)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Over 3,000 skydives and I do most of my pack jobs. Since I travel for a lot of my jumps, and I don't know the packers, I'd rather pack myself.

When I was a student jumper I paid for most of my skydives as a packer. Packing T10s. Now that was fun:)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Self Sufficient is my Style.
Think for myself..Pack my own Gear.
Do my own Checks. Always keeping Safety in Mind. Lookout for others and help them.

Hope to have a long Career with a Sport I
truely have a Heart to Love...
Peace ME Skydiving Friends
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

The increasing reliance on packers is a part of the yuppiefication of our sport. In a sport that puts the ultimate premium on self reliance (If you don't act, you die) I don't know why some people chose to rely on others to pack other than they can't be bothered to learn about their equipment (in itself a big confidence builder) and have money to burn.

There is another sport where the participants rely on others to do the hard work for them. Those helpers are called caddies. Our sport ain't golf, and we shouldn't try to make it resemble it.

CDR

i simply cant jump as often in a day packing my own as i can if i pay a packer...

I know someone who manifests himself for loads 1, 3, 5 and so on at the start of the day and packs all his own gear. That gives him about 25 minutes to pack the main and get back out to flightline.

Personally I can't justify adding an extra 1/3 to the cost of my jump, just because I can't be bothered to pack my own.

I don't want anyone else to pack for me. I guess I would trust some people, but I trust myself more.

Yup, I'm with you there! I became a licenced packer before I could jump out of a plane on my own (between AFF levels 3 and 4). Maybe I'm just like that, but certainly when I was starting out, knowing I'd packed it right gave me less to be worried about: it would open! ;)

I understand people using packers, but not to know how to pack and be so reliant? :S
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13