Darius11

Am i the only one?

I only have 9 jumps but I am in love with the canopy ride.
Every time I have an option to pull I want to pull high.
I am not afraid of pulling lower at all I just love the canopy ride.

I wish I could do a hop N pop from 13.5.
Tomorrow if all goes well I will be doing my first solo.
I can’t wait till they let me open up as high as I want. I know there is cretin rules as to how high but man there is nothing like gliding like a hawk.

Is there any one else that feels that way?
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Sounds like a potential CRW dog to me. I've thrown many a person out at 13,500' on a hot summer day. It's called a cross-country. Bring a coke and maybe some padding for those leg straps after you are settled under canopy.
Enjoy the ride!
Hartwood Paracenter - The closest DZ to DC!

I wonder when I will be allowed to do one man.

That sounds awesome. Bring some music a soda. Fuck that sounds like haven right there bro.
I can’t wait.
Is there any requirements before you’re allowed to do one?

At least you have to be off student status. Depending on the kind of terrain where you jump, maybe nothing else. You should be able to plan ahead on your canopy ride -- the uppers are sometimes very different from the lowers.

Good luck in getting a cross-country -- they're way fun.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I think with the new system that’s my E-2 that I am doing tomorrow. Then I can do solos. It is so beautiful at JumpTown I have the biggest smile just thinking about it Wendy.:)That would rock

I did my first x-country a week or two ago. I made the DZ fine, but was too afraid of not making it back to unstow my toggles and play.

Instead i just tried to focus on the sensation of floating up there..so high, all alone (okay there were 7 of us, but they were pretty far away).

At 10k i saw a bonanza about 3k below me...pretty neat.

you can also see the coastline of lake erie (jumping at aerohio)...again, pretty neat.

oh yea, and i had no problem with being confortable under canopy or needing padding or anything...after about 5min my legs fell asleep :P

Absolutely.
I took a ten year break from skydiving to fly paragliders and hang gliders. Now I freefall and soar! Its an indescribable feeling to thermal up over 10,000' on a column of warm air, fly a hundred miles cross country, and in that process I have circled with bald eagles, peregrine falcons, vultures, inumerable hawks, you name it. Keep up the skydiving, but if you find yourself looking for more airtime, think about giving soaring flight a try!

Shawn

I will always love flying my canopy from altitude and I've been jumping for 10+ years. The godseye view, peacefulness, smell of clean air tinged with clover or hay, formation flying with hawks and feeling of mastery contribute to the longing that drives me to stay in the air as long as possible. There is no other way to experience these sensations, and I haven't felt completely alive without them for many years.

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

I am just now, at 35 jumps, beginning to LIKE free fall.
Before it was something I HAD to do to Get to the canopy ride.

I LOVE flying, floating under the canopy.
I can take the time to look around at everything...Im Alive inside the sky.
For me it is much the same feeling as flying the plane...but with no "wallls" around me.

I would LOVE to pull at altitude (13k)

My GOAL is to someday fly cross countries.:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
earthbound misfit

There indeed is something special, very rare, and awe-inspiring being under canopy at altitude. It gives you a perspective, sitting there overlooking millions of acres, that you cannot get any where else.

To see the sun set behind the ocean's horizon; to watch the rays of the sun stretch into the velvet bluepurple...to know that, to breathe that, to see that, to feel that...how very special, very unique, and very amazing.

I can't get enough of it. Never could, never will.

Welcome to the sky, Darius!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

There's plenty of people who feel just the same. Being under canopy at 13.5 is great, and it's even better with some friends. I love it.

There's going to be a CRW camp at Jumptown June 17-20 organized by Mark Gregory and Paul Quandt ("Q") of the US CF team. At your experience level you won't be able play, but stop by and introduce yourself all the same.

Bob

I only have 9 jumps but I am in love with the canopy ride.
Every time I have an option to pull I want to pull high.
I am not afraid of pulling lower at all I just love the canopy ride.

I wish I could do a hop N pop from 13.5.
Tomorrow if all goes well I will be doing my first solo.
I can’t wait till they let me open up as high as I want. I know there is cretin rules as to how high but man there is nothing like gliding like a hawk.

Is there any one else that feels that way?

Same here. Once ram air canopies became readily available, I loved flying them around ...still do :)

Skies,

Michael

Every time I get to jump a new canopy I tend to to a hop&pop from 12k. My instructor: you can do a hop&pop from 5k too ya know, it's not so cold!!!!
:ph34r::ph34r:
I love to fly, so I do CReW every now and then and I've fallen in love with wingsuits, too. And when wingsuit jumping I 'have' to pull high too ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

No dude, you ain't the only one. Of my 97 jumps I have 12 high altitude pulls where I just played over the DZ (low winds or you'd get blown to BFE) and another 4 cross countries. They are fun. Something about playing under canopy and having enough time to hang out up there and look around. Gotta love it.

I usually like to get one high alti canopy ride each time I go out. Doesn't always work out but I have been averaging 2 a month.

If I knew of anyone who did CReW I would be chomping at the bit to try, but I don't know anyone. Plus since I jump a hefer of a canopy I don't think I would be able to keep with anyone. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

Shawn, I'm with you...... I do (and love) both (in equal measure). The freedom and free flying is amazing.

I have around 300 hours of paragliding (take loads of jumps to get to that on a sky dive canopy).
To go up as well as down under canopy is exciting and cross county in the mountains is special.... realy... realy special.

You can get high, throw in some acro and then get high again.

Darius, what ever you end up doing, just do it with a smile on your face - enjoy.

Tony

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I've never been a great big fan of the canopy ride, always wanting to pull low and get down quick. That said, yesterday a buddy and me did a sunset hop n pop from 7K and it was great. We would have went higher, but the sun was already down and we had a new pilot that climbs sssslllloooowww. I had a camera attached to me and snapped some photos of the sunset that didn't turn out too bad. I didn't even unstow my breaks until 3500 it was so awesome.

david
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail