spencer

ZP hell

LOL;), i know just how you feel! My lovely new Sabre2. Flys schweettttt, lands gently and you hardly feel it open - but thats where the pleasure ends. It is an absolute B***h to pack. I think the 5 euro trick might come in useful occasionally this summer when i'm in a rush...!

Regards,
Mike

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

I have same problem with my new Sabre2. Fortunately, either the fabric is getting "broken in" or I'm getting better at packing. Either way, be patient. It will get better. For the time being, pay somebody to suffer through it for you.

Edit: spelling.

Patrick
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

If you pro-pack, it'll be so much easier to do your so called 2nd s-fold first, stuff that portion of the canopy into the dbag and then do the so called 1st s-fold second placing it into the dbag in between the existing fabric in the bag. It's essentially the same pack job as the traditional pro-pack and a lot easier to manage. Also, unless you're flying a high performance pocket rocket (which I doubt you are), don't be afraid to trash pack it a little.

I'm on my 2nd brand spanking new Sabre2 canopy and this techique mentioned above allows me to pack in under 10 minutes (closer to five if I rush myself). :$

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

However you choose to get it in the bag just take your time in the beginning - don't try to rush it. Get all the air out and use your legs to keep the whole thing under control. It gets easier with time as you get more used to it and the fabric wears in. Also it couldn't hurt to ask a packer for a few tips :ph34r:

Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

Don't forget to make the canopy work for you.

When laying down on the canopy squishing the air out of it, look for the tape that runs from the bridle attachment point to the ribs. Then take the ears (that material at the top of the canopy that goes everywhere) and stuff them in the pocket that is created behind the tape on the center cell. Now the center cell is holding all the rest of the top of the canopy in place. From there follow canuck's instructions on folding the top half 1st, putting that in the D-bag, then the bottom half and putting that in the D-bag.

I've used this on every canopy I've ever jumped wether it's new ZP or old. I have really small hands and with this I have no problem controling anything from my new crossfires (I'd never psycho pack a crossfire) to the 1st packjob on Steve's sabre2 170.

Fly it like you stole it!

canopywithears.jpg

attachmenttapes.jpg

pocket.jpg

ears in pockets.jpg

earsinpockets front.jpg

1st fold.jpg

1stfold front.jpg

(begin sympathetic crying/laughter)
I so know what you're saying. First time packing zp tonight, and I finally got my hubby to help hold the B***h together until it was in the bag. :S I am so appreciating my F-111, she's so easy to pack!
(end sympathetic crying/laughter)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I had my first ZP pack last weekend. The canopy had about 60 jumps on it.

I ended up using clamps to hold the bottom (down at the slider) together and a pullup cord tied around the top of the canopy to stop it sliding out.

It only took me about an hour in total to get it packed.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

The first time - it took 40 mins.
Second time took about 8 attempts to bag it.

Third time was after a jump. After half an hour of struggling a small crowd was beginning to form. They then begun discussing the best ways to tame new ZP, demonstrating with my canopy - effortlessly packing, bagging and repacking the canopy using god knows how many 'best' methods. AAARRRGGGGGGG!

Mike

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Eddy

I got my 170 Sabre2 a few weeks ago. So far, I've only put 5 jumps on it, but I've packed it about 20 times. I thought I'd better practice at home - save me looking like too much of an idiot at the dz.

The first time I packed it, it took me an hour and I had to shower and change all my clothes afterwards. I'm now down to 20 mins or so, and no sweat! From the lofty height of my inexperience, can I offer a few suggestions?

Check the bands on the d-bag *before* you start...
If the inside of the packjob is well organised (neatly flaked) the canopy will be a bit less inclined to re-inflate so viciously
Put a good few rolls on the tail (I don't push the nose into the packjob at all - just bring the tail round it)
Don't slam the 'ice-cream cone' onto the floor, just lay it down carefully
Kneel on either side of the label and get that sucker flat and parallel by whatever means.
NOW don't get up - until you've put your forearm over the top of the roll (where the d-bag attaches). As you get up, replace your forearm with your shin, but lightly - don't give the roll an excuse to squish around. As you move your leg to use your shin, put your hand over the death label.

If you've been smooth and quick, you've stopped a lot of air getting into the pack, but don't stop now! Using the hand that isn't on the label, slide the 1st s-fold under. Keep your shin in place - slide it down with the rest of the canopy. Don't make the s-fold too small. Now let go with your shin, flip the rest of the canopy over the 1st s-fold (still pressing on the label with your left hand!) and half back to make the second s-fold. Get on the line side of the blob using your knees and forearm to control. Try not to wriggle the blob around.

Sort the d-bag out so that the flap is down. Raise the a corner of the blob gently and slide the flap underneath, until you can pin the corner grommet with your knee. Change forearms, lift the other corner and pin the other corner grommet with the other knee. Now stuff that side of the blob into the bag, swap hands, stuff the other side. It probably won't look very pretty at this stage!

Hold it as best you can while you hop round the side opposite the lines, and concentrate on compelling, cajoling, forcing the damned blob, by using your hands and knees until the first band is within shouting distance of its grommet. Don't torture yourself by attempting to stretch a band half-a-mile to a grommet. You won't succeed, and when it pings out of your hand you'll sob like a baby with frustration as the blob takes the opportunity to expand. Hold the band as near to the tape loop as you can manage and roll the flap towards it. If you can pinch that band on the other side of that grommet and get your thumb in the loop, you're home and dry.

The sense of achievement and relief at getting the thing in the d-bag is matched only by the sense of achievement and relief when it comes out again at 3,000'!

Regards
John Midgley

"Check the bands on the d-bag *before* you start..."

I keep 'double bands' on my D-bag, which is basically a spare band on each attachment point, if one breaks during packing, the spare is right there under your nose!
And never ever have less than one appendage on the blob until the first stow is made.B|

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

send them to me...hell ill do it for 3 bucks.. only takes about 30 seconds...:) after a few hundred times on zp its not all that diufficult... even brand new...
-yoshi

LMAO!!!:D
My Sabre2 has about 15 jumps on it. I cannot pack when children are within earshot of the expletives that flow during packing!!
Glad to see that I'm not alone in my struggles!;)

--
A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. -Oliver Wendel Holmes

I spent about 3-4 hours the first time(yes first time for the canopy too) I packed my brand new Sabre 2 190.

My thinking was if I can learn to pack this I can pack anything. I can pack it in 13-14 mins now(I like to pack slow). If I can do it anyone can. I am the laziest guy in the world :):D:ph34r::o.

If you pro-pack, it'll be so much easier to do your so called 2nd s-fold first, stuff that portion of the canopy into the dbag and then do the so called 1st s-fold second placing it into the dbag in between the existing fabric in the bag.

that's the trick

long gone are the days of doing the s-folds, getting up, going to lunch and then coming back and finishing exactly where we left off

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Ha, I fell your pain. I paid a packer the first 40 jumps on my new ZP. Only after that, having dragged it threw a desert and a swamp a few times did I even try and pack it myself. ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP