SSkydiver

Thinking of walking away

I have been in the sport 3 full years now and only have 106 jumps. About 60 of those last year. I itch to jump every single day. This year alone i cannot count on two hands the numbers of jump days i've missed because of weather. I can only jump on sundays and it seems every sunday i can jump the weather turns to shit or if i end up having to work on a sunday, its beautiful. I watch training films every single day, mentally train myself everyday. Fly like a pro, breakaway, pack like a pro, etc etc etc. I look at skydiving pics online and it drives me fucking crazy that i cannot jump as often as i like. All i'm asking is 125-150 jumps a year. Thats only 10-12 a month. This 2-3 average right now is nuts. I want to one day be one of the best in this sport and get evey rating possible!!!! It would be awesome to be an instructor one day and teach the newbies, give back something to the sport that ive grown to love!!!! I've sat and thought about this over and over in my mind. One part of me says "walk away". The other part of me says "hell no". SDSM has been great, the people are awesome, Phil has always been there to help me out. Do i want to walk or keep flying with all my brother and sisters?????

Hehe. I live in Round Rock as well. The weather has been shit lately, but seriously, it will get much better. At least we don't live in the North where snow is a factor.... Look at the people that haven't gotten to jump in months.

I haven't jumped in three weeks, and it wasn't really by choice, you just gotta be patient.

Yeah, I feel the frustration of not getting enough jumps, or not having anough money, or the weather being crappy on the days you are free to jump.

We all do. Ask the folks with thousands of jumps and years in the sport how often they feel the frustration.

The truth is, each jump makes you want to jump again. The more you do the more you want to do and you'll never be happy with the number of jumps you get so be happy with the jumps you get.:D

How's that for reasoning?:D

I have been in this sport physically only since Oct 2003 and I have 68 jumps and I see some of you have been in longer have less and some have been in less and have more. Take joy in the jumps you do get. Find contentment where you are and then when you get more it is just bonus.B|

We all have to take the jumps we can. Each moment we do get to spend at 14500 is one moment we don't have to sepnd on the ground.

And it is important to keep everything in perspective. As much as we would love it to be, skydiving is not the only thing in life. (Or so I keep trying to tell myself). I'll let you know if it is working.:P

Ahhh, building a nest so that your not-yet-met-ex-wife will have a nice house to fuck her new boyfriend in. Why don't you just get it over with now ... find some woman you really hate and buy her a house and get on with skydiving.

Michael

LOL You killed me with that. And just the use of the term "building a nest" has stripped me of whatever thin thread of masculinity I thought I still had.

Hell, I owe you a jump for that, but this being California, I should probably hold on to half of it. After all, it's not "mine" since it's only going to the not-yet-met-ex in the divorce settlement anyway.

Good one, Michael. Keep those coming.
-C.

Dude, I have my rig sitting next to my desk right now. As soon as the clock hits 12:00, I'm outta here to go jump at YOUR dropzone. Come on out! Weather's supposed to be pretty decent.B|

From my desk I am looking from Westlake to downtown Austin - it looks like ass right now.

I know the feeling. I hate to do anything half way. I'd love to jump more. I get jealous sometimes of folks with lots of cash who live in a warm climate and jump all the time. But, the bottom line is if you enjoy jumping stick with it. If you're having fun don't quit. 60 jumps a year is a whole lot better than none. Maybe things will change somehow in the future and you'll be able to jump more. Things have a way of working out. You could always quit your job and give up everything to jump. I wouldn't recommend it though. For me, there are other things that are more important than jumping. I love our sport, but I love my family a whole lot more, and for me they come first. So I ballance the two, and try to jump when I can.

I also spend a lot of time watching skydiving videos, and even pack up my rig for fun. I know packing isn't supposed to be fun, but if you haven't done it in a while it can be. Hell, my kids thought I was nuts the first time they saw me dirt diving around the house with my imaginary friends, wearing my new Z-1 on my head. So my advice would be to jump when you can, and don't forget to have fun.....Steve 1

Anyone sick of these "oh i'm quiting" threads ?

i am. if you think about quiting maybe you don't want to jump as much and you might want us
to beleive. don't look for a reason to quit or excuses, find the way to make as many jumps as
you want. suck it up. work hard, be the best. stop whining.

so many people share "their drama" and get 100 times more posts then they have jumps. if they
redirect their post power into jumping maybe they won't have reason to make posts like that.

for the record, i live in North East. and weather here sucks big time sometime. but i doesn't stop
me from jumping. i jumped when it rained, i jumped when it snowed, i jumped when it was -25.

stan.

p.s. sorry for a little harsh post.

p.p.s. i'm glad to see number of jumps in the profiles instead of number of posts.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

I didn't hear any mention of how much you love your job- it sounds to me like your thinking of walking away from the wrong thing. There's millions of jobs out there, I'd say get a new one that allows time for what you love. Easier said than done, I know. But in my opinion taking a lower paying job (if that's the case) would be a small sacrifice if it made it possible for me to live the life that makes me happiest.

Jumping less is better than not jumping at all. I, too, have a very limited budget, but I wouldn't quit for anything or anyone (except my daughters and they'd never ask). We can look up and know that we've been there...and we're going back. :)

Come on down, Norman, even if you can only afford to look at Phil's cool new 'beer light' (it can be seen for miles) and make one jump on the sunset load. You'd be welcomed with smiles. Purple Skies, D.
Attitude is everything!

Well shit folks. Talked to the girlfriend today and told her that in the next couple of weeks im getting back in the air and i'm going to have to make the DZ at least twice month. This coming Sunday gotta work, the following Sunday im playing in a charity golf tournament but the Sunday after that i'm free as a bird. I figure 2 sundays a month should produce a minimum of 10 jumps a month, more if possible. I dont think i could have walked away from the sport. I know i would have regreted it later for sure. Thanks eveyone.

Dont stop jumping. I know what you mean about not being able to jump as much as you like. I am a Golf Professional...know what that means? Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are my biggest days..:(...

I just got a new job, doing the same thing, where I get 2 days in a row off. I chose Friday-saturday....because the DZ isnt open on mondays...

Look at your schedule...it will work...If not quit work. Life is too short to live for your work. Do what you want..it will make you happy in the end.

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

I'm affraid I may get in the same position. I live in the north so most likely I'll only get to jump six months a year. Durring the winter I plow snow so I'm limmited as to when I can get away for a vacation to warmer weather. The most restricting thing is that I'm a farmer and never can plan anything durring the summer because I never know when I'll have to do something. Saturday and Sunday are no differant than the rest of the week when there is work to be done. I do find that I can sneek away differant times for a day or two. Thats what I like about skydiving, as long as the weather is right and the DZ is open you can always make a jump. You just need to be ready to go at the drop of a hat.

You act like it's get ratings or quit. Just jump for fun like the majority of us. If you choose to make it the center of your life, you may find yourself burnt out on it anyway. Not everyone (almost nobody)gets to skydive as much as they want to. Just realize what it is, a weekend activity, nothing more unless you're sponsored.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

We all have to start somewhere and for me it was a drive of some 2 1/2 hours each way each weekend to my favourite dz and at the time the weather had the tendency of being crap for a whole weekend sometimes more than 50% of every month!!! I laugh at some of my students who whine about having to wait an hour or two just because of the weather or a busy day. There are certainly a lot of jumpers out there who have been through a lot worse as well. Basically if you like it and sounds like you do , stick with it. Otherwise , take up lawn bowls or something!! When I moved interstate I did 40 jumps only for the whole year, after doing at least 100 each year since I started jumping. Ratings only make it easier to jump , they will not always make the sport better for you. I always said that when I was going to be a skydiver full time I would always (and have done) fun jumps and keep it both as a fun thing and something that pays the bills as well. Lately after a few really crappy days to say the least (not weather!) I have been thinking about giving up the sport as well. Not going to though. Remember the good times , the friends and the sport itself
more than makes up for any hassles you have along the way if it is something you truly wish to do in the long term. Follow your heart! BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Go to Russia dude B|. I have three weeks vacation, and I'm spending that (and two, ehm, "sick days" at Kolomna. You can get your 125-150 jumps in those three weeks, no problem.

And it's cheaper than in the US. And they got an Mi-8 helicopter, and up to 5 AN-28's (20 skydivers, tailgate, 8 minutes to 14k).

Hang in there. It's gonna get better.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

im sorry i dont see a problem. we all wish we could jump more, it seems like a contidiction that you want to do all these things in the sport that you claim to love but are thinking of walking away from it. i dont understand. if you work 6 days a week then work less and jump more or take skydive vacations every few months and jump your ass off its the only way your going to meet your goals is to jump more. so find a way and do it, but dont quit that accomplishes nothing.

The way I look at it is 2-3 jumps monthly is much better than no more jumps I haven't jumped all winter and every Sunday i have wanted to jump lately either the weather was bad or something came up but I can't see myself never jumping again. Don't give up on something u love

Gather yourself Friend.
Review every single aspect of "why" I Love Skydiving. What brings you alot of Joy in your life? Dont let the political game in the Sport bring you down. Keep your Focus on the Important aspect of it. Dont let other things Discourage your Goal. Keep in mind it doesnt matter how many Jumps you got or how many Times you get to Jump or how you look with that Fancy New Rig. What is Important is that You Jump when you can stay current, keep Eyes on Goal...plan best you can..Stay in the Sport for the right reasons and Enjoy every single Moment of it. I call it Real Living..
SKYDIVE SKYDIVE;)
The glass is half full or half empty doesn't matter. Let go and have the Lord guide your path. He will take care of it all.

In response to the original post here... I have the same problem. I have been in the sport for 7 years now, and I have a whopping 169 jumps as of this weekend. I drove a 3 hour roundtrip today to try to jump again, only to be stuck with 20mph winds ALL day long. Heck, I still only got my A license! I passed the B test with a 100% once, but lost it before I could send it in. *smacks self on head*

Blue Skies,

~Skailz~

hahahha... this guy thinks he can just walk away.

Dude... It's in your blood. Your screwed. If you hated jumping and never had the urge to jump, I'd say sure... walk away... But not you. Hang in there... eventually things have to go your way.

Way to put it kindly. I must agree whole-heartedly with Weegegirl. It's like the Leonardo Da Vince quote says dude!, you are SCREEEEWWWWWWED!