funks

Tandems only, nobody else allowed...

anybody ever heard of a DZ that only does tandems? Going on vacation next week and i just got off the phone with the closest DZ to where i am going. They apparently only do tandems, nothing else. They do not allow licensed skydivers to jump there...They are a small DZ in a vacation type town, but still, i find it amazing that they shut out all skydivers that may be passing through....

Yup, I've heard of that.

For instance, a USPA GM DZ in Las Vegas is basically like that, although they apperantly also do AFF and such. Eitherway, no "fun" jumpers are allowed.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I spoke to the DZO at Newport a year or so ago, and he said basically that fun jumpers were welcome, its just that they are a single cessna DZ, and the tandems take priority, which I think makes sense. they are a seasonal DZ and the tandem dollars are what keeps them in business. He said I could jump there if I wanted, but that I might have to wait for a slot to free up. I decided to spend the day at the ABC "sight seeing" instead. Hopefully someday I'll get that jump in, it looks to be a great view from up there.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Maybe he changed his policy then. 3 of us were planning to make a jump there (jump #'s ranging from 700 - 2000 jumps) and were told that fun jumpers weren't welcome there when we called to find out if it'd be possible.

We'd have liked to jump there for the same reason as you...that view has to be spectacular.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Yes,

There's a DZ in Rhode Island like that (newport).

Blues,
Ian

IMO There's DZ's like that all over the country:|It's their DZ so they can do whatever they want with it.:)

But there's also a lot of great DZ's with a "view", I know of some on the west coast B|

R.I.P.

Yup, I've heard of that.

For instance, a USPA GM DZ in Las Vegas is basically like that, although they apperantly also do AFF and such. Eitherway, no "fun" jumpers are allowed.

PM me if you want the paul harvey version of the story. Fun jumpers are allowed if you were trained by them, but, you need to know the rest of the story.
-----
~~~Michael

These places don't get my support when things go wrong.
They can ask the tandems/whuffos for help.
I realize they introduce people to the sport, but shutting the door on them when they return for more fun is no way to run a business.
There are good sides to everything....just have to find them.

That wouldn't be Ocean City MD would it?

you got it;)

i jumped there for a shit and giggle the couple times i went to ocean city. he seemed very fussy about letting me jump there but still did. charged me 30 bucks for a cessna ride to 10 g also.

We have had the same experience with this guy. My wife got very upset with him as their web site had said fun jumpers were welcome. When we tried to go there, he had already changed mind.

its all making sense now..i sent these guys 2 emails letting them know i was gonna be in town and just asking basic questions about the DZ...I did not get one response from them...

Please tell me the rest of the story about L.V.

Did a couple there in the late '80's.

Thanks,

Cliff
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

You could check out Skydive Maryland. Only about 20 minutes from OC, 1/2 mile off of route 50. 3 Cessna 182's, HUGE landing area. PM me for details.
[url]http://www.parachutesarefun.com

Lance

AWESOME!!! I leave on Friday, guess i am bringing my rig afterall!

Quite a lot of DZ's here in New Zealand (and Australia) are like this - they're so geared up for the tourist/backpacker market that all they do is tandems.

A few do AFF but even then tandems still rule the roost. I've been bumped off several loads to make way for a tandem. In some ways I can understand it - the seat I'm sitting in and paying $30 for could be replaced by a tandem paying $200. However what the DZO and manifest don't seem to remember is that I and others have spent several thousand $$ at this DZ doing AFF/solos/buying gear etc etc. It really pisses me off when I get bumped off a load as I'm 'just a sportie'. How about putting your regular jumpers first...they may only be paying $30 for the ride to altitude, but a regular jumper will surely be more proffitable for a DZ in the long run, not to mention the free PR/extra business he/she generates from saying good things about the DZ to others.

For me the sport skydiving scene in NZ is so crap, once Ive got my nz citizenship (hurry the F**k up Internal Affairs >:() I'm out of here, probably to Australia or maybe the UK :S lol.

If you want DZ's with good sport jumping, don't move to NZ!

Russ