skydonkey

Chest strap save on load, How common is this?

I was Jumping in Empuriabrava yesterday and we were just climbing to around 2000 feet in the Twotter. An AFF instuctor calls over to the guy facing me and asks him if he got checked before he got on the plane, the guys hesitates and says No. The instructor then says "Check your chest strap, you are now dead"

How often do these 'near misses' occur?

How many people make a concious check of those around them on every lift?

Do you think the AFF instructor should have forced the guy to stay in the plane, just in case he had missed something else critical (not cocked PC etc.)

If this kind of thing happens, should the guy be grounded and have some retraining to re-emphasise
the importance of chest strap routing/getting checked.

This happens waaay too often. I find someone at my dz almost every weekend with a chest strap misrouted or undone.

Last week in Thailand, I was sitting on the tailgate of a C-130. We were still on the ground. The tailgate puts you higher than the others and you face forward. You can see everyone else in the plane.

This guy stands up in the middle of the plane to check his O2 hose. I look over at him & see his chest strap dangling. I call him by name. After I got his attention (it's really noisy), I grabbed my chest strap & pulled & then pointed to him.

He looked down at his gear. Got this very embarrassed look on his face and then did up his chest strap.

This jumper has tons of jumps.

Another newer jumper with a misrouted strap got the same look when I said 'hey your chest strap is misrouted'. We were sitting on the benching waiting for the plane to land.

I think the experience of not fastening it or misrouted and having it pointed out is usually a sufficient lessen for most jumpers.
Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I've never been offeneded by gear checks and suggestions from other jumpers. I once snagged my cutaway pillow and didn't think to check the 3 ring afterwards. As we were walking to the plane a buddy of my pointed out that my 3 ring on the RSL was hanging loose. That saved me from a really, really nasty mal.

The worst that's ever come from someone's unsolicited gear check was when I was jumping some gutter gear at the first Rantoul. A guy began adjusting my rig on a ride up, telling me "don't worry, I'm a rigger". I was too embarrased to tell him that I was one too. :)
-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

I miss routed my chest strap as a student. I didn't loop it back through the metal part, just back through the elastic. My AFF instructor did a 'check' and said everything was great and 'ARE YOU READY TO SKYDIVE?'. I was doing the check along with him and spotted it and yelled "NO" and pointed to my chest strap. He was a bit freaked that he missed it. He fixed it and we did the jump. I think I actually passed that level too. I was too new to know that I was a dead man. It freaks me out a lot more now than it did back then. Now I check my chest strap 20 billion times before I jump.

I've already put my 2 cents in on this question earlierB|
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just wanted to say to CONGRATS to JAN and all the OTHERS on the new record!!!!
:S Sorry I drifted from the subject :S
Ok back on track...
:) CHECK YOUR SHIT :)
Umm Drifting Again.......
:ph34r: Woo-hoo :ph34r:!!!
<>
Tami

Since we've had such an uproar on the forums about people not wanting their rigs touched without permission, I made sure to tap him on the shoulder to tell him about it and then I fixed it. He was most appreciative.

Time was when people giving each other gear checks before exit was much more common. Nowadays there isn't much of it, maybe people think it's not "hip". Or maybe we think that the gear is a lot simpler and more foolproof than it used to be - which is true to some extent, thankfully. We used to find all kinds of bridle twists around belly bands and that sort of thing. I have to admit I'm not really fond of having a stranger rummaging around with my closing flaps just before exit. I definitely feel better if they're a friend I jump with a lot, and especially if they jump the same kind of rig and know how the flaps close. If we're jumping with our friends anyway, we should agree to be uncool enough to look each other over. "Friends don't let friends jump without gear checks".

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

speaking of misrouted chest straps.....maybe someone can end this debate...........on my 8th jump I was geared up......I checked my gear and it seemed okay to me............after opening I noticed my chest strap was just there and was undone except for the buckle...........i had a chest altimeter on also which was just flying in the wind...........i also had a wrist altimeter on.............that was the most terrifying canopy ride i ever had...........
when I landed I was screaming at myslef for not checking my gear good enough.......the person that strapped me in said it was because of the opening and not the way he routed my chest strap........i learned a big lesson..........and now am a freak about gear checks...............to this day we still agrue about it.......................I know in the end it was my fault and my responsibility for my own life...lesson learned......

skygirl1
" Mean people SUCK!"

I've only caught 1 misrouted chest strap, and that was my own, i didn't route it behind the tension bar, and just through the bungee, i always give the chest strap a tug to make sure it is secure, and when i tugged it the chest strap just loosened.... took me a minute to work out what was going on and kicked myself when i noticed.

Now i always make sure to check and double check it, plus have the habit of giving the chest strap a tug when i'm checking other people.

I did it once and will NEVER forget it and I can only PRAY it will not happen again. I made the jump but had nightmares when thinking about what COULD have happened [:/]. I think I was more embarassed at the time and shrugged it off but my heart instantly started pounding (I had made a mistake) and I thought about "what if" way too much the rest of the day. I now check and double check and check again :)
We are human and make mistakes. Luckily it seems skydivers look out for each other ;) - no one wants another brother/sister to get hurt (I hope). I am glad someone wasn't afraid to point it out to me. Newbie or old timer, personally I think if you see something that looks questionable, why not just ask.....Worst that could happen is they check and say "it's cool".

Have fun, be safe and be watchful!

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

I did my AFF ,and got my A liscence in Byron. I probably got 3 checks before I got on a plane for my first 30 jumps! People still ask me if my Cypres is on, and I always look at other peoples gear (including altimeter) when I'm on the plane. Becoming complacent about things this important can get you killed! I'll be the geek who asks for a pin check any day:)
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I have a dvd of some dude in Arizona who carries his rig out of the door and then pulls while holding onto (I think) the leg strap. Not directly related to your question but quite amazing if you think about it.
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

>I have a dvd of some dude in Arizona who carries his rig out of
>the door and then pulls while holding onto (I think) the leg strap.

Greg was attached via a steel cable to a harness he wore under his suit. A cool looking stunt to be sure, but not quite as death-defying as it seems.

I have a dvd of some dude in Arizona who carries his rig out of the door and then pulls while holding onto (I think) the leg strap. [....]

That's Joe Jennings "Good Stuff" DVD, and the dude is Greg Gasson.
... and rumours say that he had his hand attached to the leg strap with some sort of safety cord. (Just to make sure the snatch force doesn't pull the rig out of his hands)
Don't know if there is any truth to it.
Later on in the video it's obvious that he is not attached to the rig as he climbs around, but I assume it wouldn't have been a problem to dispose of the cord once the canopy is open.

A cool stunt, but as a "skydiving achievement" it doesn't impress me at all.
The Arizona Airspeed chapter, THAT'S impressive! :o

edit: billvon had posted while I was writing ... :S;)

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.
(Bertrand Russell, engl. Philosoph, 1872-1970)

Greg was attached via a steel cable to a harness he wore under his suit. A cool looking stunt to be sure, but not quite as death-defying as it seems.

Well if he'd had a mal, he would've been f**ked...
How would he have reached his handles?
(But I bet he packed that Spectre (?) extra carefully... doh! :))

Ich betrachte die Religion als Krankheit, als Quelle unnennbaren Elends für die menschliche Rasse.
(Bertrand Russell, engl. Philosoph, 1872-1970)

well here is a response to the "no rig" and totally off
the subject. About 20 yrs ago I borrowed my inlaws
mobile home. Off we go with 3 other couples. I was driving with the cruise on, feet up on the console
I finished my coffee and yup you guessed it. I got
up to walk in the back and as I stood up I saw
7 horrified faces. But got back to drivers seat in time.
That was funny, but the no rig thing is not...

NO Brain farts please>>>>>

ok I have heard before that having a misrouted chest strap doesn't automatically equal death. But on here, a lot of people think that it does. Has anybody done any research on the subject?

How many people have actually fallen out of their harness due to a misrouted strap? Were they wearing student gear or custom stuff?

MB 3528, RB 1182

I am SO bad about this. I have done it more times than I can count, then someone in the hanger (before boarding the plane) will notice and mention it to me.

Just this past weekend I did it, concisously thinking about how NOT to do it, then looked down a minute later and realized I had done it wrong!!!

Retardation is kicking in sometimes with me and my chest strap. I always remember before boarding the plane, just not always when suiting up.:(

PcCoder.net

Someone found my chest strap completely not done on a pre-board check once. As a result of this:
1. I studied the SIM check procedures and am checking things in threes now (i.e. leg strap, leg strap, chest strap)
2. I try and always get a pre-board check done. They are not purposeless, they can make the difference between feeling foolish and feeling dead.
3. I try and do up my chest strap before my leg straps. (This is personal and certainly won't apply to other people as much as the previous two items.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

I am SO bad about this. I have done it more times than I can count, then someone in the hanger (before boarding the plane) will notice and mention it to me.

Just this past weekend I did it, concisously thinking about how NOT to do it, then looked down a minute later and realized I had done it wrong!!!

Retardation is kicking in sometimes with me and my chest strap. I always remember before boarding the plane, just not always when suiting up.:(

Unacceptable.

Fix that.

I had a similar difficulty. My cuttaway pillow tended to fold under my harness during gear up. I always caught it, but understood it was just a matter of time before I didn't. That was unacceptable too. I fixed it. I changed my gear-up and self check methods.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Quite often actually.In the summer bad habits like jumpsuit unzipped and chest strap undone are common.I've learned that it is just good common sense to at least get the chest strap right "Before" you climb on the plane.Making sure that jumpsuit is zipped on climb to altitude.

>> I alwyas have people telling me to zip up my jumpsuit, but I never think to ask why-- I just do it. <<

Maybe they are getting hypoxic from the extra altitude.

An unzipped jumpsuit will slow your fallrate, and depending on its design, you may get smacked around by the zipper or collar in freefall. If it is unzipped enough it could interfere with your handles.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com