Harksaw

How much do you trust your cypres?

Discussion we were having at the DZ the other day....

for One Hundred Million Dollars (TM)......

Would you jump out with no main and your reserve ripcord cut, with only a properly maintained and turned on Cypres to save you? Assuming no legal problems (there would be legalities in the US anyway, i'm not saying ANYONE should ever do this)

Forgive me if this was posted here before, i tried searching but they are such common words :P

More importantly - would your answer change if it were for $100. Mine would.

$100,000,000 is worth the risk TO ME, but my answer changes quickly as you take away zero's.

You will note that I consider doing this a RISK... the telling part of the story that all too many people today do not consider it to be a RISK.

I made the number so large because I didn't want this to degrade into a "Well, a million dollars really isnt that much money anymore" debate. People do trust their cypreses probably too much. I honestly don't think I would do it for any amount of money. 750 feet deployment is waaaay too close for comfort.

I'd do it - but only because I think the risk of being killed in a car wreck commuting to a job is far greater over the remainder of your lifetime.
(My best friend and I were SO NEARLY taken out in a car wreck yesterday.)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

CYPRES must fire. Must fire in time. Canopy must get inflated in time.

Get really stable and realllly big.. so the reserve opening doesnt THWACK you as bad.... oh.. anf for the 1 Million.. that is enuff zeros for me as well.;)

We trust our lives to small pieces of technology every day.. and we pay for them. In this case pay me and I will jump this piece of technology.
Amazon

Sure.

However, I would prefer to have two canopies.

I'd be less reluctant if there was a tandem cypres deployed main, a cuttaway handle, and a expert cypres/rsl deployed reserve.

The Cypres has proven its reliability. I have no concerns over it malfunctioning. I DO have concerns over packjobs, and would like to have a backup.

I also trust my Cypres more then I trust my harness. Harnesses have a higher rate of failure then properly maintained Cypres's.

Before anyone flames me too harshly, I have jumped without a Cypres, and have no problems doing it in the future.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

No fucking way.

Its a cool toy but thats just stupid.

I see many of the "CYPRES Generation" say they would...

Well I don't find that surprizing at all to be honest.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Interesting question. My cypress is a backup, nothing more. I don't expect it to ever work.

However, for 100,000,000 I'd really have to think about it. I don't know what the statistical reliability of it is under those circumstances. I know that it is very highly unlikely to misfire provided I pull at proper altitude. I know it has a good chance of firing when it should. But without knowing the expected chance of failure, I'd have to say no...I don't trust it enough.

If I was given evidence that there was a high statistical probability that it would work. Then I'd probably risk it for 100,000,000.